Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone that didn't want the integrated gps in the odyssey look at laptop options?
just got a gps package made by travroute.
called the co-pilot 2001,works with your laptop.mapping is excellant.comes with 2 cds-one for the eastern us,the other for the western us.loads into the compter's harddrive,so no need to swap out cds.
works great on the laptop(600 mhz,dvd drive,128 mb ram,14"screen).not only will it give you voice commands,it will also take voice commands,about a dozen,such as "zoom in/zoom out"among others.runs only $350 from gps4fun.com.excellant cust.srvc.
wanted to go this route as if there is a problem with the gps,don't have to leave the van at the dealer,can takle it car to car,laptop doubles as an excellant dvd player.i rate the travroute more user friendly than the delorme.
just my $.02 worth.laptop fits perfectly between the 2 front seats with the screen folded at a 45degree.

2001 EX MESA BEIGE
trans cooler,tow hitch,cross bars,gold kit,cargo tray,cargo mat,mud guards,cassette,hood deflector

·
Registered
92 Posts
Travroute's Co-Pilot is rated as one of the best, if not the best GPS solution for PC's. Even if you have an older laptop (233Mhz or above) this program will work good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Where does the GPS antenna mount? Would you take the antenna from car to car, or buy an extra antenna? I was going to buy a laptop so could do GPS, but then decided to get a desktop so could get more goodies in the computer. Sounds interesting, please keep us informed as you use it on any long trips.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I'm researching this type of GPS solution now. The Co-Pilot was one of the first links I came across.

I'm not sure how long the receiver cord is. Maybe 6' or so. I'm not sure how critical placement actually is.

Serial

USB

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been using the DeLorme Street Atlas/Earthmate GPS with a laptop for many years now (since the mid-90's).

The Street Atlas data fits on one CD, or you can download whole states onto the laptop's harddrive, and contains ALL streets in the US. The Earthmate receiver looks similar to the serial version of the Co-pilot, except it's yellow and more rectangular. I just sling it (figuratively) on the front dash of the car/van at the base of the window and it works fine. Occasionally, it will get blocked from some satellites when cruising down dense tree-lined streets - the arrow turns from green to yellow - but still continues to track.

I wouldn't go places (I'd never been before) without it.

Cheaper than the Co-pilot (prob $100-120 now) but doesn't (yet) take voice commands as inputs. The software is updated about once a year & costs ~$30 standalone (you can use it without the GPS and I do all the time - even for my home area I can find faster routes, or streets I don't know etc). Plus, with the download function, I can install my local state(s) on my PC at work and home as well as my laptop.

The only downside is that the maps end at the Mexico & Canadian borders.

-Mark Quinn

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
While I'd like to have a NAVI, I use a Garmin GPS III+. Most of the time I just use it by itself, possibly after downloading a route, or routes, for trips. This mode is quite convenient and it's easy to "install," or remove the GPS since I mount it with Velcro.

Garmin makes cables to allow you to power the unit from your vehicle and/or connect it your laptop's serial port (I don't think they offer a USB option but I haven't checked yet). You can also save a few bucks buying cables from other sources or making your own. Search the 'net for the Purple Project and you can find connectors to mate with Garmin's unique 4-pin connector. Other Garmin models may use different connectors, but this one is common to quite a few models.

Occasionally, I connect the Garmin to my laptop for real time tracking. I currently use Delorme's Street Atlas USA Version 6 (it's another story why I don't use something newer) which work quite well. This was very useful when I was busy getting lost on detours through Staten and Long Islands on a recent trip. This is also the program I use to build and download routes to the Garmin.

I've also got Microsoft’s Streets & Trips 2002. It doesn't integrate with the GPS as well as Street Atlas but it is useful and can frequently be purchased at Sam's Club for a net of about $12. I also use it to download maps onto my iPaq, but these aren't as useful as I'd like.

Just my 2¢ worth,
Mel

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mel said:
I currently use Delorme's Street Atlas USA Version 6 (it's another story why I don't use something newer) which work quite well.
Mel, I just upgraded from v6 to v9. The later version is MUCH improved, certainly in terms of accuracy. Plus, it lets you change the maps if you want to correct for problems/one-way streets/new roads etc. Other features added too.

I got it in a bundle with Map'n'Go for $29 after rebate from Staples. Look around for deals.

-Mark

·
Registered
196 Posts
Laptop-Gps Power question

After considering other options, this discussion convinced me to go the TravRoute CoPilot GPS + laptop route for navigation. I ordered the CoPilot and was well on my way to fleshing out a Dell 8200 laptop order when I ran into a power problem.

Dell sells a 12V power connector called a Targus Auto/Air Adapter but it is only good for 70 watts. The 8200 draws 90 watts and neither Dell or the Targus web site list anything that will handle that much. After reading the many posts about inverters I think my problem is solved but I have a couple of questions.

(Maybe I should add here that the 8200 will also replace my 4 yr old desktop so I prefer not to go smaller.)

Questions: (1)Does everyone agree that the front power port will handle a 150 watt inverter?
(2)I would think going DC-DC would be better than DC-AC-DC but obviously others don't agree- why?
(3)There was discussion about use of the front power port affecting the passenger side airbag. Is there a consensus on this? Honda hasn't sent me anything even suggesting that.

Thanks For your help.

Frank

·
Registered
20 Posts
"Dell sells a 12V power connector called a Targus Auto/Air Adapter but it is only good for 70 watts. The 8200 draws 90 watts..."

We ran into this at my office, where we buy a few new Dell laptops every year and place them into Dell docking stations (that we've had for a while. We have separate power supplies for the laptops (for trips) and the docking stations (that stay plugged in).

The old laptops ran 70W. The new run 90W. We called Dell to ask what would happen if we ran the 90W laptop with a 70W power supply temporarily. They said the batteries would just charge slower and the processor would run a little slower. (The computer tells you this also if you try it).

Anyway, we no use the 90W power supplies at work in the docking station and the older 70s go on trips.

No problems yet

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks 04Ody. You've confirmed that it is a common problem.

I was aware the 8200 will operate on 70W in battery saving mode but I don't think I can handle running it that way for long periods of time. Low voltage has killed a lot of good machinery and I don't want to be arrested for PC abuse.:) I'll probably drop back to their 4150 70W unit if I can't get a reliable 90W feed.

Hopefully Mel, Jim, NWF_Snake or one of the other people who know about this stuff will come to my aid.

Our Ody with the Owners Manuel and Helm Shop Manual are all in storage in Texas so I can't look any of this up.

Frank

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
From an efficiency (of electricity anyway) standpoint, it's desirable to go DC-DC. I suspect that your proposed laptop requires power greater than the 12V, or so, that you could provide reliably with a simple voltage regulator.

From a financial efficiency standpoint, going DC-AC-DC is probably a lot more efficient, in another word, cheaper. A 150W inverter is about $40.

I don't know if your LX has power seat wiring in place. If it does, it wouldn't be very difficult to tap those circuits, after adding the necessary fuses, to provide always hot 12V power under the driver's seat. If you wanted to switch it with the accessories, you could still use this as the power source and add a $5 relay controlled by the accessory circuit.

Another option would be to run a wire directly to the battery (fused, of course, near the battery) and feed it into the passenger compartment through the fog light grommet in the firewall (that hole is there regardless of model). You could use this to supply power to the OE power outlet, or you could add another. The same comment applies here about using a relay to make it controlled. This option WILL work, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It also sounds a lot harder to do than it really is.

Hope these ideas help.

Mel

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks Mel. This is the third or fourth time you've come to my aid.

I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with the inverter idea and I think I'll use your second option and go to the battery for a new always-on outlet. I already have the ground wire from my trans temp gauge going through the grommet you describe to a common ground near the battery with the sender wire. The wire from the sender to the gauge comes through there as well.

I took power for the trans temp gauge from the front power port wiring so I think I'll leave that as is.

I assume the inverters have surge protection built in so the power spike after start up that people have mentioned won't fry the laptop. Maybe I'll use a surge protector between the inverter and laptop just in case.

Frank

·
Registered
250 Posts
i would thing the power socket should handle at least 140 easy. in VDC, Watts=voltsXamps. i believe the circuit has a 10amp fuse. when running, car is putting 13.8v. round it to 14. 14X10=140. that's just my theory, haven't tried it!

as for gps, we have 2 laptops both with MS streets/trips 2002, and i wanted to get a gps recv. as a toy mostly, but will likely wait out till spring of 2003 when Garmin's GPS35PC will be updated with USB (newer laptop doesn't have a serial port!) along with WAAS giving <3m accuracy, vs <15m. or, i could get a GPS16 with various adapters to run it off the usb port for 250$ from this gps e-tailer i can't recall. other solutions can be had for less, but i'm sticking with garmin since they make the chipsets themself :) right now, the GPS35PC (serial + 12v cig cord) can be had for about mid 100s new on eBay or high 100s elsewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
has anyone tried the DigiTraveler from RadioShack ? It sells for $99.00 with navigation software included. I need feedbacks/comments before i decide on getting this one.

thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks NJS

I think I will go for one of those but I found them about 20% cheaper at http://www.Provantage.com.

I also changed my mind about the Dell 8200. After pricing it out with the best screen etc, I concluded I could get a similarly configured desktop plus their smaller 4150 laptop for about the same money.

The 4150 should be less cumbersome in the Ody as well.

Frank

·
Registered
350 Posts
are you able to run gps on laptop in background, while watching a movie on dvd (if your laptop has one). I know it's difficult in general to run dvd and do anything else, unless your dvd decoder is hardware rather than software.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry but I can't help you with this. I have DVD but I'm happy if I can make one function at a time work.:)

Maybe someone else knows. My guess would be "no".

Frank

·
Registered
250 Posts
theoretically, assuming either the laptop has a hardware decoder (unlikely) or enough bandwidth & processing power, anything can be run with dvd playing. gps navigation software isn't processor hungry, but the mapping software itself will eat a chunk of RAM, so plenty of that should be available to ensure nothing is being swapped to disk, which will cause skipping video playback. after all, the map app only has to receive updated position info once every 5sec or so. or, if you can't run both at the same time, once the gps receiver has locked onto your location, and left in place (ie, not moved into the glovebox, but still has line of sight to the sky), any re-acquisitions once the map app is turned on shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds, the "hot-start" or "hot reacquire" time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
latichever said:
are you able to run gps on laptop in background, while watching a movie on dvd (if your laptop has one). I know it's difficult in general to run dvd and do anything else, unless your dvd decoder is hardware rather than software.
I can't answer whether DVD and GPS would work, but I play DVDs at work sometimes (for background noise, almost like listening to the radio) and I shrink the display down really small, then I keep working whatever I was working... Outlook, Word, Access... all your typical M$ software. I normally have 3 or 4 additional windows in the background and things run fine.

I'm using a Dell Latitude laptop that's about 1 year old (sorry I don't remember the specifics on speed) with 256MB RAM. The DVD drive is a DVD/CD-RW drive.

The only time I've had a delay was when I was trying to watch some streaming video off the web with the DVD playing. If the bandwidth got slow, I would get some pauses, as iddibhai said would happen.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts