Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the day has arrived and much earlier than we anticipated! Our MS EX-L RES was due to come to us in late April or early March and we just got a call from the dealer today that someone had backed out and the Odyssey is ours! It's a little early, but we can't resist! I do have some last minute questions for all of you. The salesman has been very nice and accomodating and I'm very pleased. He said that it's still all wrapped up, but he'll have it ready for us on Saturday. He said he would keep it tucked away and not allow any test drives, but he mentioned, somewhat incidentally, that it had 20 miles on it. Why would that be? If it's still in it's packaging, where could it have gone. Is that just what they put on it test driving it at the factory or what? Where now frantically trying to get finance rates (people's 1st, lending tree etc..). Any last minute recommendations on a good loan? Also, I'll have the checklist from this site in hand and my plates from the soon to be old Nissan, but is there anything else I need to take (it's a 3-4 hour drive). Lastly, thanks to all of you for all your help in this process, I'm really grateful for all the advise. I'm not going anywhere though, I've become addicted to this forum!
Thanks!
Wendy

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
We just financed through People First at 5.64% for 60 months. The only problem (for you) may be that took 4 days for the check to arrive. I wonder if you could request an overnight delivery.

At any rate, they were excellent to deal with.

------------------
Chuck K,
Self-elected President, Vice President, Sergeant-at Arms and one and only member of the, now official, Former Ody Owners chapter of the OdyClub, founded 2/02/2002.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Last Thursday we picked up our MB EXL-RES with 8 miles on it. I assume just getting it on and off the various modes of shipment is good for 2 miles of that. Add to that at least one decent test drive by the dealer's technician, and 8 miles is not unreasonable. 20 miles is probably that 8, plus 12 miles of customer test drives. Those might be from the original customer, or some others. In any case, it is not bad at all.

BTW, we test drove a Sienna that was still wrapped up, so that is possibly what happened to your candidate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We picked our TW EXL-RES about 2 weeks ago and it had 8 miles on the odometer. I agree that there were probably a test drive or two included. I wouldn't worry about it. As for financing, the dealer got me financing with Honda Finance at 5.49%. I had two other loans approved under 6% and the dealer wanted the business. Most dealers will compete and match or beat other rates if you show them preapproved rates (actually, mine never asked to see my quotes). Dealers make money off the financing in a form of kickback (all legal) from the lenders. Good luck. You'll love the van and the RES!

------------------
2002 TW EXL-RES
1997 BMW 328iA
Guess which one I drive?

·
Registered
628 Posts
8 miles on ours, as well. 5.44% from Honda Finance. If the salesman mentions THE SURVEY and how appreciative he'd be for good ratings, ask him what's in it for you. Not much, but we got the first oil change paid for.

------------------
Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL

'02 GG EX-L
splash guards, Honda 6 disc in dash CD changer, Honda fog lights, cargo tray, genuine leather steering wheel cover, Pioneer TS-1695 front speakers

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

[This message has been edited by sixtn39 (edited 02-26-2002).]

[This message has been edited by sixtn39 (edited 02-26-2002).]

·
Registered
286 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, I'll have the checklist from this site in hand and my plates from the soon to be old Nissan
Wendy [/B]</font>
If you are transferring the plates from the old Nissan and not trading it, what are you going to do with it? Realize people will not be able to test drive it without plates. If you have a buyer already lined up, transferring the plate to the Ody is a good move since it may delay the increased property taxes due to the new vehicle. If you buy a new plate for the Ody, you will soon get a property tax bill for it, otherwise it will come after the plate is due for renewal. If you leave the old plate on the Nissan but it has recently been renewed and property tax paid, you can apply for some rebate on that once you sell it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
2.9 miles on our 2002 when I picked it up Saturday.

Did the original folks drive it and balk at something?

Scott

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nds:
If you are transferring the plates from the old Nissan and not trading it, what are you going to do with it? Realize people will not be able to test drive it without plates. If you have a buyer already lined up, transferring the plate to the Ody is a good move since it may delay the increased property taxes due to the new vehicle. If you buy a new plate for the Ody, you will soon get a property tax bill for it, otherwise it will come after the plate is due for renewal. If you leave the old plate on the Nissan but it has recently been renewed and property tax paid, you can apply for some rebate on that once you sell it.
</font>
I think that every state will be different on this process. In Michigan when I have sold my old cars, I simply transferred my old plate to the new vehicle and bought a $10 15-day temporary tag for the old car. It could then be legally driven, and if it took more than 15 days to sell it was just another $10 temporary tag.

·
Registered
286 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve P:
I think that every state will be different on this process</font>
You are certainly right about every state being different, and my comments apply only to NC which applies to the original poster. A temporary tag may be a possibility here. I just do not know if a non-dealer can obtain them though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts