Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

The Honda Care warranty for my 03 Ody will expire at the end of this month, any tips or suggestions on what will I have the dealership check or repair before it reached the deadline and are there any other good warranty offers out there to consider?

:confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Um, put in a new transmission maybe?

J/K - make sure that all the recalls have been done. Have them check that transmission closely too.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I don't think they will do anything without a charge. Honda Care or the dealer isn't going to pay for a physical on your van.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No, of course not. But if there's any time it'd pay to have a 150 (or whatever) point inspection to see if there are any potentially warranty-related items brewing, it'd be now IMO.

...because you just know it wouldn't make itself overtly visible until the day after the warranty is up.

The extended powertrain warranty expired on our '03 last summer. This was before I'd ever come here, before I started doing any of my own maintenance, before I'd started educating myself about maintenance at all. It was also, BTW, before I knew anything about Ody transmission problems. Many times since, I've kind of wished I'd done what I'm advising here myself.

I think it'd be money well-spent, personally.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
And you really think they are going to look for warrenty problems without a customer complaint of the problem. As for the transmission problems there is no way to pre diagnose them without ot throwing a code. The only other way is disassembling it and checking components. You may get it done if your father or close relative owns the dealership but that is about the only way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am at 99150 miles and I am going to take it in for the timing belt package. I am also at the end of the warranty. I am going to see what they can check over. All you need to do is say you hear a clunk in the front and they will check suspension, trans, cv boots etc. That is really the stuff that I am worried about after the warranty is gone anyways. Unfortunately for me I got the infamous blinking drive light the other day out of nowhere. I guess they actually have something to look at. The light only blinked for one cycle and never blinked again after restarting the car for the next drive. The fluid looked OK and the trans didn't act any different. It has always shifted tight. Will the code still be saved? Sorry to steal the thread a little.

Thanks and good luck on using some of the warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just dropped off my 04 at the dealer with 99350 miles and want to get the timing belt package done. They had a coupon and it will be $800 for the timing belt package. I also had the imfamous blinking D light come on once two weeks ago so they are checking that out. Probably just a pressure switch. I asked if they could check anything else under warranty (which expires at 100K miles) and he said they are not supposed to just check for things unless you pay for a full inspection. He ask me if I heard any clunks or strange noises from the car around the trans, suspension, drivetrain etc. Of course he said this with a smile and a wink. I told him to check out the strange noise that I was hearing all over the important parts. He said that he would check it all over and he said that it may be a few worn shocks, maybe a bushing or two, or a few motor mounts. I like it when people just take care of the customers.

I will keep everyone posted on what they find after their search for the elusive "noise" under the car.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Better check your extended warrenty as most of those items you mention are normally considered wear items and not covered by extended warrenty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Honda Care covers all of what I said. I just double checked and it covers motor mounts, shocks and struts, bushings etc. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2004 (58,000 miles and 7 year 105k extended Honda warranty), had a knocking noise when warm and a scraping noise at start up and a "clunk" under hard acceleration. the dealer said the crankshaft pulley is bad and it ruined my serpentine belts and timing belt. Honda is paying 100% for the pulley and all the belts and labor. I'm paying about $400 to have the water pump and camshaft seals replaced while they've got it apart. It also needs two motor mounts and some suspension bushings. All paid for by Honda.
So, I'm happy that this all happended while under the extended warranty, but dissappointed that it was needed in the first place. what's happening to the bullet-proof reputation of Honda?

I think for an hour of diagnostic time ($45?) it would be worth your money to have them check all the electronics and do a test drive. If the dealer finds problems, it's repair money for them that's paid by Honda. Seems like a good return on your investment and peace of mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I got my 04 back the other day. I got the timing belt package done for $827 (fair price from a dealer I thought) and had them check over the whole car. The only thing they found besides the 3rd gear pressure switch that was causing the blinking D light, was dirty brake fluid and dirty power steering fluid. I will change them later on my own. They said the shocks, cv boot/joints, motor mounts, bushings etc. were all good. They went into details on the brake rotors and said they had a lot left on them, which I was aware of as I had changed them myself. I was very pleased in their inspection and service. This was the McGrath Honda in Elgin, IL in case anyone was wondering. I would recommend them to anyone.

Oh and I had some fun with the free loaner too. I was surprised to see a 2010 Odyssey leave dual tire marks from a burnout. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
664 Posts
hjmanasa said:
My 2004 (58,000 miles and 7 year 105k extended Honda warranty), had a knocking noise when warm and a scraping noise at start up and a "clunk" under hard acceleration. the dealer said the crankshaft pulley is bad and it ruined my serpentine belts and timing belt. Honda is paying 100% for the pulley and all the belts and labor. I'm paying about $400 to have the water pump and camshaft seals replaced while they've got it apart. It also needs two motor mounts and some suspension bushings. All paid for by Honda.
So, I'm happy that this all happended while under the extended warranty, but dissappointed that it was needed in the first place. what's happening to the bullet-proof reputation of Honda?

I think for an hour of diagnostic time ($45?) it would be worth your money to have them check all the electronics and do a test drive. If the dealer finds problems, it's repair money for them that's paid by Honda. Seems like a good return on your investment and peace of mind.
Wow, something external had to happen at some point in the life of your ody to start that proccess. It may have been a driver or someone at the factory having a bad day. But all of those problems aren't usual problems.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't know of any dealer, of any make, that charges $45 an hour. They seem to be 80-100 depending on geographic region. Used vehicle inspections usually run in the $100 plus range, which may be worth it. Depends on who is doing the inspection...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts