Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Thanks to so many of you who contribute here. I have a question:

I own a 2016 EX-L, on which I've done all maintenance, to this point, myself. However, I must have simply ignored or missed a maintenance minder alert for an ATF change at 30k, and have just now considered it because I've recently noticed minor RPM fluctuations when driving uphill and some sluggishness on acceleration. The van is now at 38k miles. I feel really stupid for letting this part of the maintenance slip my mind.

I plan to do a 3x drain and fill with DW-1 over the course of the next ~3 weeks. From then on, I'll do one D/F with every other oil change.

Should I be worried about possible long-lasting damage to the transmission due to my oversight? Are there any additional steps you'd recommend for me to try to remedy my error? Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,823 Posts
No, I really don't think you have done any serious damage. You're not all that far past the correct transmission service interval and the rpm fluctuations are almost always tied to the ATF needing a refresh. Once you get on top of the drain-and-fills you're planning, you will probably be in very fine shape. You'll be amazed at how much of a difference even one drain-and-fill makes in the performance of the transmission.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Not sure if your year had the software update applied for the shudder issue. After changing fluid look into eligibility for that transmission update. Made a night vs. day drive ability improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
+1 for 8K miles being nothing to worry about. The vast majority of vehicles on the road have never had their trans fluid changed. I consider it the number one ignored service item across all makes/models. You are probably in the top 1% of all car owners with regard to properly maintaining your car!

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
93 Posts
Agreed with pkrface. Trans fluid is almost certainly the number one ignored service item that is truly important. However, as long as your fluid is not burnt, it's still technically doing its job, even if it's not doing it as well as fresh fluid.

I wouldn't be too concerned - I bought a 2001 Camry with 131K miles a few years ago without ever having transmission fluid replaced. I changed it 3x shortly after and there are no signs of any issues. I have no idea if the 2007 Odyssey I just bought with 82K miles has ever had transmission fluid replaced either, but I will do the 3x drain/fill method shortly as well. Just try your best to change it regularly going forward.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would not bother with the 3x right now. I'd just do a 1x now, and then maybe do a 1x with each oil change until you like the color of the drained fluid, and then move to once every other oil change as you have planned.

·
Registered
13,861 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer complaining of a judder and let them do a 3X fluid replacement for free. Then do a normal drain & fill at least every 30k or even every other oil change.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My first trans fluid change was done at 41k, you're fine.

But as per the above, my mistake was not taking it to the dealer and having the software and fluid updated. I did all the work, the trans performs quite well now and the dealer won't touch the vehicle. o_O ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My first trans fluid change was done at 41k, you're fine.

But as per the above, my mistake was not taking it to the dealer and having the software and fluid updated. I did all the work, the trans performs quite well now and the dealer won't touch the vehicle. o_O ;)
Thank you to you and to Egads for this suggestion. If I may ask, why won't the dealer touch your vehicle now? Did they not like that you did your own fluid change, or did they decide that your software update wasn't needed since they couldn't produce any symptoms?

·
Registered
268 Posts
The later, since I have no symptoms now they won't do the freebie update and fluid swap. You have to wait until there's an issue, then address it. It's the American way! ;)

By addressing this all on my own it appears any new software updates I'd have to pay for. Funny, Toyota called me to tell me to bring in my car for an update for free. But I digress.

I would make sure your van is in a cranky mood, hot, shifting poorly, etc. and take it in. And if they want to charge you try another dealer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The later, since I have no symptoms now they won't do the freebie update and fluid swap. You have to wait until there's an issue, then address it. It's the American way! ;)

By addressing this all on my own it appears any new software updates I'd have to pay for. Funny, Toyota called me to tell me to bring in my car for an update for free. But I digress.

I would make sure your van is in a cranky mood, hot, shifting poorly, etc. and take it in. And if they want to charge you try another dealer.

Good luck!
Thanks much again for your reply. I've scheduled an appt with the dealer for tomorrow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts