Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda Dealer told me that their parts Department was just informed by Honda that a DVD unit WILL be available for installation as a Dealer option.

Hope he is right. I would rather have DVD and don't want leather

·
Registered
122 Posts
Trevor,
Didn't hear anything about this.
These notices to parts departments
come from American Honda in Torrance, Calif.

I do mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I do not think he has the facts.

If he could fax this notice to you, we can post it.

So if you want RES ...do not cancel orders just yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A dealer here in Va Beach, VA said yesterday that they would be able to install the IVES (DVD system) at the dealer as well.

I said..."Oh really!, so does that mean you can get the DVD system without Leather?"

and he said "Yep".

·
Registered
564 Posts
BUT...

Can those of us with EXL-NAV get the dealer to put in the RES? That's the question most dear to me right now.

I know what the new "RES" stands for. But being new to Odyssey, I'm not sure what IVES stands for. Any hint?

Thanks,
- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you... I'm taking it with me."
Ordered:
2002 EXL-NAV.
Driving:
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
157 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
BUT...

Can those of us with EXL-NAV get the dealer to put in the RES? That's the question most dear to me right now.

Thanks,
- Darell

</font>
The saga continues! Here's what I've found out so far:

1. 1:00 pm Today: My dealer reconfirmed that they CAN put in a Honda DVD / LCD system in an that it would be covered under Honda warranty . . . they gave me the phone number to Honda Parts & Service so that I could get verification. 770-442-2050.

2. 1:15 pm: Honda Parts & Service says "You know, I'm not sure, we just sell the parts! Try calling Honda Customer Relations 1-800-999-1009."

3. 1:20 pm: "Im not real sure . . . they just started building them you know (duh!). Your the first guy who has ever asked me that. Let me check with some of the other guys . . . let me put you on hold."

wait

wait

wait

4. 1:35: "Well, the new brochure says you can't order both from the factory." I explained to him that I was well aware of that fact (thanks to odyclub.com)but was trying to inquire whether a dealer could install the '02 RES system in a EXL NAV. "Well I imagine that if the facory can't do it, I don't think a dealer could." I explained that it could be a marketing decision or production trying to limit the total number of optional combinations . . . what I was really looking for was wheter there was a TECHNICAL limitation in being able to do this. He basically said that he had no way of finding out & that if the dealer wanted to try, it would be their responsonsibility. He also said that this would be considered a dealer "modification" instead of an approved Honda "accessory" and that it was possible that it may NOT be covered under Honda warranty. He ended the conversation with "You might want to call your dealer & see if he can do it." All in all, it seemed that he was sharing his personal opinion and not any fact.

5. 2:00 pm: Back to dealer. Talked to Service Manager. "Yup, we can do it . . . I've got the 13 page installation guidelines here for NAV and Non-NAV installations." Now that my hopes are high that they can do it, he says "Yeah, it says its for 2001 and 2002 models." The more I questioned him, the more I get the impression that his instructions are for the old IVES system. Back to square one. He promised he'd call some Honda techincal people & get back to me in a couple of days. Back to square one!!!

Here's a couple questions I have for those of you who have dug into this before:

A. Does Honda make the IVES system & if it is dealer installed, is it covered under warranty?

B. In looking at the pictures of the 2002 RES, it is painfully obvious that the head unit (which includes a bulky cassete player) will not fit with the NAV screen . . . BUT, the NAV comes with a smaller head unit that mounts below the screen. It also apears that the DVD is a separtate unit that mounts below the pull out tray/cup holders. It would seem that it could physically all fit, right? Maybe the limitation is the wiring harness or that the smaller NAV head unit does not have the correct input/outputs to allow for the rear controls.

HELP!!

Maybe if enough interested people call the Honda Customer number listed above, they will get ahold someone who actually knows something. I'll keep everone posted if I can find out anything for sure.

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
564 Posts
cmmeyers - Thanks for the definition. I figured it was something like that.

Man314 - Thanks for sharing your experience. I personally, have had almost the same conversations (though I was diconnected while on hold, so had to call back and go through the same thing with a different guy!). Nobody knows anything, as far as I can tell.

The dealer *thinks* he can do it, but can't be sure since he has no factory support. My dealer doesn't even have brochures yet!

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you... I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
1,484 Posts
Man314,

This is what I wrote in a previous discussion about the idea of installing the factory RES and what possible issues may come up:

One of my major concerns (if attempting this mod) would be "How to compensate for the all the fuctions nicely intergrated into that RES headunit?" Such as control and sound.

The original iVES had it's own seperate controls and sound was piped through a FM modulator. I'm assuming the new and improved headunit intergrates all this in it's wiring harness. Just like how the NAVI voice/mute functions work with the EX headunit.

My guess is there's no easy way to get the controls in the front like in an RES. But you do have the two other controls - the remote and the lcd unit itself. Although the DVD slot is still all the way in the front.

To read this entire discussion go to:
http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000509.html

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
48 Posts
This link is interesting. I've always thought of i-VES as referring to the VCP system I currently have installed (by my dealer) on my 01 and RES as the factory-installed DVD-based system on the 02 RES model. Could Honda be offering a DVD-based i-VES that could be installed on non-RES models?

------------------
vangirl

'01 SS EX with i-VES, Kelton Subwoofer, trailer hitch, cross bars, in-dash CD changer, fog lights, cargo tray

'00 New Formula Red S2000
'00 Flamenco Black Pearl Civic EX

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
vangirl:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This link is interesting. I've always thought of i-VES as referring to the VCP system I currently have installed (by my dealer) on my 01 and RES as the factory-installed DVD-based system on the 02 RES model. Could Honda be offering a DVD-based i-VES that could be installed on non-RES models?</font>
Read this page again, carefully.

It's taken virtually word for word from the Honda brochure.

hondafirst.com is nothing but a Honda dealer, apparently. And a stupid one, at that. They're not differentiating between I-VES and RES. What they're describing is the factory RES, period.

In fact, look at the bottom of that page:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All the convenience of a home theater right in your Odyssey! And the i-VES is be offered as factory standard on the Odyssey-EX with leather upholstery. What could be better for those long family trips? Or short runs to the market!</font>
No, not a dealer option. A factory option with the leather models.

(Did I say something earlier about dealers being skanky and don't trust a word they say unless you know your rep very well? Hence the OdyClub.)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Now ... I’ve only looked at the iVES briefly about a week ago when we were in a friends Odyssey, so bear with me if I’m WAY OFF BASE, but here is a potential candidate for the manufacturer of the iVES unit Honda had been installing since about April: http://www.autovisiononline.com/AutoVision/jumpage/autovision/ & http://www.autovisiononline.com/AutoVision/jumpage/autovision/featuring.htm
It comes from Johnson Controls and the screen looks a lot like the one being sold in the iVES package. I had even less of a look at the player and the pictures at this site are not that great or detailed to do a good comparison, but someone with one of the iVESs might be able to compare and say. Sorry it doesn’t answer you question, but it might me a starting point for part A.

BTW, some folks seem to be using the terms iVES and RES interchangeably. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the iVES is the sort of jerry-rigged VHS setup that Honda’s been installing since April, and RES is the DVD setup starting in the ’02 model vans that looks more integrated?

About your warranty question, I’ve been told, several times in fact, that any Genuine Honda (whatever that means) accessory installed by the dealer is covered for your full warranty period, be that the original 3/36 or longer if you opt for the extended Honda Care. ‘Course I could have been fibbed to several times, but that’s my dealer’s story, and he’s sticking to it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – great, but inadequate for a family of 5
’86 Civic – bye, bye my little old friend
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES w/all the fixings – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

[This message has been edited by tnuckels (edited 08-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by tnuckels (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
A DVD possibility for those with NAVI-

Can the dealer install just the monitor (& wiring?) without the DVD unit itself? Then replace the in-dash receiver with a DVD receiver like the Panasonic MXE CQ-DVR909U ($1000 at Crutchfield). Crutchfield's web site says it is an easy fit in a 2001 without NAVI, but doesn't a standard DIN-sized head unit fit under the NAVI screen? Does anyone know if this would work? I don't have NAVI myself (or even the van, yet!) It wouldn't quite be "factory", but it might be as close as you can get, from the looks of it so far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For my .02 cents worth I think the hondafirst site sums it up pretty well with their misinformation. Many of the dealers appear to have no idea what the i-VES and RES are and are thinking they are the same thing. Some of them may not have ever even seen one out of the box yet and seem to assume that the i-VES is a DVD system.

The RES and NAV can't be combined because of the custom radio/RES control that is in the RES model is a double size unit which can't fit in the dash with the NAV screen. Without the head unit the RES would likely not function and I'm not sure if it could be wired up to an aftermarket DVD player or not.

The wiring harnesses for the dash and surrounding areas are different between the RES and none RES models and the wiring for the RES is integrated into the harnesses so it couldn't be added on to them without replacing the complete harnesses and probably other items connected to those harnesses.

I still think the ultimate DVD solution is to put a Sony PlaystationII under one of the front seats to go along with the i-VES system.

-Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is an idea I had when I originally heard about the NAV system.....why can't the DVD in the NAV system read DVD movies and send them out to the LCD panel for the rear passengers, and change the control functions from the NAV system to the movie DVD's? Just a thought! It would save them space!

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rickneuropa:
Here is an idea I had when I originally heard about the NAV system.....why can't the DVD in the NAV system read DVD movies and send them out to the LCD panel for the rear passengers, and change the control functions from the NAV system to the movie DVD's? Just a thought! It would save them space!

</font>
Well Alpine has yet to make an aftermarket unit that can work as both a DVD player and Navigation system. You have to buy them as seperate units. Plus if they were merged together you couldn't watch a DVD and use the NAVI at the same time. Unless if they had two disc slots. Hmmm...or maybe some sort of mobile DVD changer!

But anyways that was a good idea. To think, able to control all the DVD fuctions w/ the touch screen on the NAVI.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
910 Posts
Pioneer does have a DVD navigation unit that reads DVD movie also. However as nestor has mentioned, you cannot have the dvd navigation and the DVD movie on at the same time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TAllen:
I still think the ultimate DVD solution is to put a Sony PlaystationII under one of the front seats to go along with the i-VES system.

-Trevor
</font>

Trevor,
The more I dig, the more I think you are right! Most dealer and folks at Honda are very confused about RES and iVES . . . they assume that they are the same thing when they clearly are NOT.

iVES & Playstation may be the most practical choice. Few questions for you (or anyone else who reads this post):

1. Is iVES available only in grey . . . my new MB will have an Ivory interior.

2. How is the sound quality through an FM modulator?

3. Why does the iVES instructions have you remove the center flip down table between the seats? Does the iVES unit interfere with operation of this table?

4. How easy would it be to "hard wire" the PS2 power & RCA cables under the carpet to the iVES so that I won't have wires cluttering the interior?

5. I assume I'd need a power converter for the PS2 . . . how much do these cost?

6. Anyone that has an iVES system installed care to share with us the pro/cons they've seen witht this system?

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

[This message has been edited by Man314 (edited 09-01-2001).]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts