1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found on vtec.net:

2002 ODYSSEY
New Colours: Redrock Pearl and Evergreen Pearl

LX MODEL: significant increase in HP, 5AT, refreshed styling, side SRS, smart SRS, rear disc brakes, body colour side mouldings, larger rear speakers (same changes for EX model plus driver's lumbar support)
-anticipating a $1000 to $2000 increase in MSRP

NEW EX-L(Leather) MODEL:same changes as above with leather and heated seats, does not mention leather wheel but assuming they will add that
-anticipating $2000 increase in MSRP over '02 EX model

------------------
Admin

·
Registered
331 Posts
triplecut - if you click on the vtec link you'll see that the info is from someone in Toronto. I presumed that the price increase is in Canadian Dollars so C$1000 works out to be about US$2.75 :). Actually, that's about US$600.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
I called my local Honda dealer (Paramus Honda/NJ) to check if they had any updates on the 2002 Ody.

Guess what? The salesman said that there wouldn't be any changes for the Ody except for the Red color and that was that.

I have a feeling that Honda lacks on updating their employees especially their salesman when it comes to soon to be released models.

Honda needs to add more stuff to their 2002 Ody (rear disk brakes, leather, DVD entertainment, etc) in order to keep their van a hot seller (good stuff).

I just hope that the 2002 Ody gets some cool yet needed updates so that Honda could keep it's Ody shinning and on top of the crowd.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Was at the dealer this AM and was told red and another shade of gray. EX-L with factory leather and EX-I with entertainment system. No pricing info.

·
Registered
331 Posts
ody-ranger

didn't even come up in the conversation - I was in for service and happened to see my sales person and we spoke briefly. I wanted to confirm red. I have a Y2K TW which I love, but I would have taken red in an instant - as long as it was fire engine red.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
We don't have all of them as it is.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just can't imagine a significant hp increase. A small one maybe from cal changes or breathing improvements but a significant increase would mean internal engine changes.

These types of changes are very expensive and require revalidation of the engine internals (dyno, road, durability, etc..., recalibration and recertification for emissions.

It is always possible but I would be surprised.

Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Couple things.

1) Many manufacturers tune down their engines for the first couple years then tune them back up for a "mid model" change. Honda/Acura has done just this, because if anyone remembers, the 3.5 SOHC engine was originally generating 250hp. Then when put into different vehicles, with different induction route and exhaust routes, the HP is going to naturally change. The Acura RL uses the 3.5, the MDX uses the 3.5 and the Odyssey does. The MDX has the 3.5 putting out a 10:1 compression ratio which probably gives it more power. My guess 'was' that honda would be migrating to the MDX's setup.

2) I was in Marysville, OH yesterday (on my way to Wright-Patterson), so I stopped in to Honda to pick their brains because I'll be in the market for a Minivan in Aug and I WANT to know what the changes are for the 2002 units. While I wasn't given any specifics, I was TOLD outright to (a) expect the Odyssey to carry over many of the MDX's features- what was specifically mentioned was the HP increase to be more in tune with the MDX and RL's output, and (b) the application of an MDX style 4wd system mid-2002. I roughly quote; "The MDX has served as a test ground for future Odyssey applications, and a true Honda SUV". Red was confirmed, and another shade of green/gray, between Dark Emerald and Granite Green is expected. They confirmed the EX-L model. However, they "speculated" that Honda would not produce a specific Rear Entertainment System model, and would leave the Rear Entertainment System as a Dealer option. They also hinted that they are working on a power liftgate feature that will be implemented in the MDX that probably will carry over to the Odyssey. Also expect to see the new double din head units like in the Accord EX V-6 models, since Honda's contract with the other manufacturer has run out. Supposedly Honda was affraid NAVI unit buyers would feel "jipped" if the LX and EX had double din, full featured units while the NAVI's had single din weaklings, so Honda refrained from using them, but the success of the NAVI may have persuaded them difference since almost 6,000 double din units have already been shipped to the Odyssey plant.

I was also told that Honda releases nothing (information) to dealers because they want the 2001's to continue to sell rather than have the dealerships pitching the new changes for 2002. I was told that anything the dealer gives the customer is simply hearsay that they read from a third party, kinda like this.

I would assume that leather will be added in the EX-L model, hense the L for leather or luxury.

Lastly I would like to point out that since the Odyssey is moving to a new plant, and since it's getting some exterior changes, that this would be the only logical time to make the major mechanical changes to the line. It would be extremely costly to make mechanical changes in 2003 or 2004. That said, I would expect that if Honda is planning to add disc brakes and other major features, it would occur in the 2002 model year, other wise it probably won't occur until this models end of cycle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts