Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture of a sub in the lazy susan area? I've been searching around and I can't find anyone who has pictures. Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
I want to know if that is possible too.

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea that's the only information I found on it. I'm going to just tackle this project my self and I'm thinking of making a diy if everything works out right. I'll let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I started the lazy susan project today and made a lot of progress. I am only building the box right now and will do the wiring later.

Just as a disclaimer, I have never built a box before and this is my first time tackling a project like this. Feel free to do what every you want but I'm not responsible. I got all my information from various sites including crutchfield.

I decided to copy the idea of the lazy susan sub box where the sub would be floating and pointing down towards the ground. I did not do everything the "recommended way" but I had not choice because of the shallowness of the lazy susan area.

Items needed:
jig saw
drill and drill bits
drywall screws (I used 1 1/4")
MDF wood
wood glue

I went to home depot today and bought 1/2 mdf and the employee helped me out a lot and actually cut everything I needed except for the cover. It usually cost .25 cents after the first 2 cuts but he did it all for free. I know I should be using 3/4 but because I had to use an old 10" sub from a previous car, I had to sacrifice the wood strength to make everything fit. It I had the money, I would recommend getting a shallow sub.

2 sides = 22x6.75
2 sides = 13x6.75
1 side where sub was going to be mounted = 22x14
Lazy susan cover = later

When I got home, I cut the whole for the subwoofer. I did not have a protractor so I had to improvise.

Then I used a hole drill bit to start cutting the hole.

Using a jig saw, I cut out the hole for the sub.

Test fit.

Next, I drilled holes into the sides where I planned to screw. Using some kind of wide grip vise makes the job a lot easier.

Everything pre drilled.

I started to put the box together. Before you put the screws in, use wood glue to bond the boards together. Feel free to use a lot to completely seal the enclosure (you can also uses silicon later to ensure the box is sealed properly).

Let that sit for at least 12-24 hours.

No for the lazy susan cover. To take the cover off, there are 2-10 mm bolts that you need to unscrew and the lid slides out. The bolts are under the carpet labeled in red.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now trace out the lid.

This is just a picture of the lid cut out and placed back in the car because my wife would be pissed if there was a whole in the back.

I plan on raising the lazy susan lid for more room by adding wood around the edges. Hopefully everything fits right then I'll hopefully be wiring it all up by the end of next week.

To be continued....

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nice write up Jabiera, let us know of your progress and post pics of it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Subbed to the thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey guys, here's another update. Sorry it's taking so long, I'm in the middle of a move from Miami to Cleveland, OH. Anyways, I glued/screwed the box on to the new floor. I did this by measuring how much clearance I had on the back and left part of the hole in the floor. Then I lined up the box with it and traced it on both sides so I knew where to screw.

I used about 2 tubes of glue to completely seal the box because the cuts on the sides were not completely straight. I also reinforced the hole where the sub was going by adding another piece of wood behind it.

After letting that dry, I worked on the amp. There is a grommet behind the glove box. I accessed it from the engine bay and ran my positive wire through it. This is a picture of the engine bay.

I forgot to take a picture of the glove compartment disassembled but here is where the wire comes out on the passenger side. I popped off the side panels and ran the wire under the carpet to the lazy susan area.

For the remote wire amp, I tapped into the cig. lighter power and ran the wire under the carpet to the lazy susan area. There are 4 screws holding this panel. you need to pop off the sides of it and there is one screw on each side. Then open the cup holder and you will find 2 more screws.

Now for the ground, it is important to scratch the paint off the holes where the bolts were holding the oem lazy susan cover. You need to expose the metal. It took me so long to figure out why my amp wasn't turning on. I was getting so frustrated lol. Newbie mistake even though this is my 4th amp install. Now you can bolt your ground to either screw.

I'm waiting for my line out converter to come in to complete the project. To be continued....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are the sippy cups extra? :DD

Also, Miami FL or Miami OH? Lived in Little Italy in Cleveland a number of years back.

Good work by the way. Curious to hear how it turns out. You may have mentioned before but are you placing the amp down with the sub?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This sippy cups improve the sound quality and add 20 hp at the wheels lol.

I'm moving from miami FL to cleveland OH. I got into the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine in Independence, OH. Where would you recommend living for a family with an 11 month old and a pregnant wife? lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm putting the amp under the floor in front of the sub. I still need to figure out a way to mount it though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You are gonna make me think this morning aren't you.

Depending on the commute, you could live in Parma/Parma Heights or even Shaker Heights. If I recall correctly, Maple Heights was nice too, but that was 10 years ago.... (and I never did much in that area).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good. Thanks for the info

You are gonna make me think this morning aren't you.

Depending on the commute, you could live in Parma/Parma Heights or even Shaker Heights. If I recall correctly, Maple Heights was nice too, but that was 10 years ago.... (and I never did much in that area).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rOk guys I'm pretty much done with the install.

I stuffed the sub box with polyfill, well polyfill I got from an old pillow lol

Also, I added a couple pieces of wood to raise up the floor for more clearance for the sub. It's about an inch higher. I wanted to make sure the sub didn't hit the floor at all.

I then ran the speaker wire from the back driver side speaker. I ran it through the side panel by the seat belt to the floor panel, then under the carpet to the lazy susan area. Just pop off the speak grille to get to that area.

You need to unbolt the seat belt and pull the panel out to get behind there.

All my wiring is done, I'm just waiting for the LOC (line out convertor) to tap into the rear speakers and then I should be done.

I'm thinking of being a little ghetto with the amp since you can't see it anyway. I'm gonna grab some industrial strength velcro and mount it in front of the sub.

To be continued...

·
Registered
632 Posts
@jabiera, this is getting exciting from my POV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys I finally finished the project today.

I hooked up the LOC to the rear driver's side speaker. First I tested everything then soldered the LOC wires to the speaker terminals.

Everything was now hooked up. Here is it installed. It does come up a bit but your can't tell when the floor mats are on top.

I did reinstall the carpet that was in the lazy susan area because the sub was rattling too much. After I put it in it sounded great . I had to turn the sub gains down all the way though because the sub is so close to you it can get really loud.

Double check all your measurements before you tackle this project, I had to adjust some things but I forgot what they were. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATED MEASUREMENTS!!

2 sides = 22x5.75
2 sides = 12x5.75
1 side where sub was going to be mounted = 22x13

1 - 20 of 27 Posts