Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the I got a message on the instrument cluster saying Forward Collision Warning System Failure. This was accompanied by the Three Amigos, the FCW, LDW, and Traction Control lights.
Also noticed the red Brake light would flicker on every once and a while.
At home I popped the hood and was shocked to find the brake fluid at or just below the Minimum line. I topped it off, took it for a test drive and could not get the 3 Amigos to come back.
So I have two questions.
1) Would low brake fluid cause the FCW system failure message/lights?

2) Where did all that brake fluid go!? I know as pads/rotors wear more fluid is required to push the caliper pistons. And the brakes are all original with 31,000 miles on them. But a fluid level drop to the minimum level just from brake wear seems odd. I know what a leaking brake line feels like and I don't have that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Recommend you pull the tires and check the wear indicators. If worn, remember to remove some fluid prior to installing new pads.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recommend you pull the tires and check the wear indicators. If worn, remember to remove some fluid prior to installing new pads.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Yeah, but that doesn't really answer my FCW/LDW question, and on my opinion normal pad wear shouldn't draw down the fluid level so far that the Brake light comes on. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced these issues.

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
It doesn't answer your question but you're not supposed to top of brake fluid. If the level is below the min line that means you have worn brake pads, and yes it can go below the min line if the fronts and backs are both worn. When the pads are replaced it will push the fluid back to the top of the reservoir. Now the reservoir will be over full and will spill over when the pads are replaced. Check your brakes.

To fix your other issues you're going to need to get the vehicle scanned and see what codes are stored. That will give you some direction on where to start with the issues you have. A standard OBDII scan tool won't work, either. It needs to be a professional level scan tool that can read all the OEM Honda data, not just the generic OBDII engine data.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just popped off both front tires and one rear. No excessive wear. With no visible/detectable leaks the amount of fluid drop in the reservoir due to normal pad wear is unacceptable, in my opinion. To go from Full to just below Min and not have any pads that need replacement is crazy, especially at 30k miles.
I guess when the time comes I'll just suck a little fluid out the reservoir and slap in some new pads.

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
With little wear and no leak then it's impossible to have a fluid drop. Either it's been at that level and you just never noticed, there's wear that you're not seeing, or there's a leak you're not seeing. Fluid is only lost if it leaks. It's not "burned" like engine oil can be. No leak, no fluid loss. If it were me I'd put the level half way in between max an min. The fluid level is supposed to notify you of when it's time for brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used 2015 Honda Odyssey EXL with 46K mils and experienced exact issue: FCW and LDW System Failed message with FCW, LDW, and RSA lights on. Shutting off the car for a minute or two and starting it again fixed the issue for couple weeks. The problem usually happened again when I filled up the gas tank and drove for several miles. Car was driving normally when problem occurred. I took the car the dealership and reset the radar but did not fix the problem. I just wonder if anyone had the same issue and got it fixed !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought a used 2015 Honda Odyssey EXL with 46K mils and experienced exact issue: FCW and LDW System Failed message with FCW, LDW, and RSA lights on. Shutting off the car for a minute or two and starting it again fixed the issue for couple weeks. The problem usually happened again when I filled up the gas tank and drove for several miles. Car was driving normally when problem occurred. I took the car the dealership and reset the radar but did not fix the problem. I just wonder if anyone had the same issue and got it fixed !
Have 2016 EXL with 26,000 miles and have similar issues as you are.

I had almost a 2 hour drive and filled up gas in between around the 1 hour mark and then was on the road for another 45 minutes. Out of nowhere, I felt the power cut off and in a few seconds the check engine light came started to flash. I was able to pull off and turned the van off and turned it back on after 30 seconds and it seemed to be OK for a few miles but could tell that it was running rough and struggling to move. Next morning was worse and right away i could tell that it sounded bad and after about a mile or so it started throwing the "FCW system failed" message and TCS/CEL all flashing with power cut off as it probably goes into Limp Mode to not hurt the engine. When braking the car it would violently shake/rattle and while accelerating it would proably go only 30-35mph.

The car is at the dealer as we speak and have noted the above issues and for now their initial statement is that rodents migtht have chewed my lines (sure!) but lets see.

All this happened to my car after filling up gas an actually it might have been topped off which might cause this issue we are facing?

Shahhere

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
A few things come to mind,
One is that there are law firms looking into Honda warning system failures.
The second thing is that a 2015 is due for brake fluid replacement.
Third, never top off a fuel tank in a modern car. You can flood vapor systems and other emissions related systems causing a heap of trouble. When the pump stops, stop. (I do turn the pump off and get that little splash out of the nozzle)

·
Registered
18 Posts
So.....they called yesterday and said that the "top engine needed a good cleaning"; which I assume is that they cleaned the spark plugs which fixed the missfire issues. Said that's all that was needed and the braking issue was due to the rotors having high spots so they cut the rotors and both issues were fixed the same day under warranty and to pickup the car.

I get there around 6:00PM and as soon as I get in the car all the same symptoms were there FCW warning, TCS/CEL and the engine shake and no power...they gave me a loaner and the car is back with them as I dont think a simple cleaning of the spark plugs is going to address the issue...

Shahhere

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another follow up on this issue:

I went in the next day as they said that the car was now in good shape but when I got there they said the same thing that its not right and that they will need to keep it longer.

Fast forward to this week and on Tuesday (almost 7 days later) they are now telling me that they will need to replace the engine head and will be keeping the car through the entire week....

Lets see; do I have any recourse on this with Honda and should I be worried about the cars longevity even though its only 26,000 miles?

Shahhere

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
I don’t think you should be that worried if they are going to fix it. In fact there have been issues with other model years and Honda has extended warranties and continues to fix cars well above 100k.
It sounds like some manufacturering defect they are addressing.
I do wish folks who report these issues would also post follow ups as you have done. The first poster in this thread seems to have had a brake fluid leak issue. The second poster seems to have the same issue you do. The warnings are not a good indication of what is really wrong . As Mr CLARK points out, reading the codes is the only way to know for sure. And with the right reader.
Please folks, post follow ups so if there is a pattern it will emerge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got the car back after 10 days and the final item they stated was that they had to clean the fuel injector (Plenum??) as that fixed the issue.

I had to drive it around for a few weeks for the car to feel the same as it did before.

Shahhere

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2016 Ody with 60,000 miles. EXACTLY the same thing began happening just as FishEH describes. There were no codes to rea, so dealer sent me away without a clue. Went to local NAPA store and they agreed with the break fluid level as the culprit (having seen other owners with similar), ours was also below min line. We put just a very small amount of break fluid in and the warning lights have never come on again. Definitely getting close to time to replace pads/check rotors and will make sure they re-calibrate. Thanks FishEH for the post!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue pop up on my 2014 EX-L, just over 100K mi and all 4 of those lights came on last week. I stopped, turned the vehicle off and back on again and they lights went off. No problem until yesterday and they came back on again. Again, turned the engine off and back on again the lights turned off. Just had spark plugs replaced, had not filled my tank recently, and am not due for a brake job for awhile yet. Can the dealer read codes if they are not currently active?

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to forum: of course yes I am a 2014 Honda Odyssey owner who recently came into some similar problems.

Brake fluid warn light. Checked level ok. (Actually took a picture)... one day later, fcw, ldw, vsa, and brake warning light came on. Transmission began to shift very hard at low speeds.

Multiple attempts to turn vehicle off and on would reset without warning lights. Successfull once.

took to dealer, they report they added 1/2 bottle of brake fluid. ??? It was full?

Can the brake fluid fluid warning light (code) trigger numerous other codes simultaneously and create a dangerous transmission operation?

Dealer er still has car (under 140,000 km (Canada) warranty but I must pay for a brake inspection to proceed.

Feedback?

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
The other codes are red herrings. They come on to tell you that, because the primary system has issues (brake fluid) that these other systems, some of which depend on the abs braking system, have been disabled.

Nobody in this thread asking questions has addressed the main issue: All modern cars require the brake fluid to be replaced every three years regardless of miles. While this may not be a maintenance item you are used to, or want to pay to have done, it is much cheaper than ABS controllers .

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum so first time poster.
2015 EX 65K miles
Had the full fiesta light dash last week. I followed through on the "take it to the dealer" referenced here to read the codes.
Dealer informed us we had a "bad cell" in the the battery and the low voltage was causing the issue.
(It was starting but more like an old Snapper mower, but I digress)
Anyway, replaced the 3 1/2 year old original battery and viola` everything is back to normal.
Thanks for the tip on the code. Saved me a bunch of time and hassle at the auto parts store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
New to the forum so first time poster.
2015 EX 65K miles
Had the full fiesta light dash last week. I followed through on the "take it to the dealer" referenced here to read the codes.
Dealer informed us we had a "bad cell" in the the battery and the low voltage was causing the issue.
(It was starting but more like an old Snapper mower, but I digress)
Anyway, replaced the 3 1/2 year old original battery and viola` everything is back to normal.
Thanks for the tip on the code. Saved me a bunch of time and hassle at the auto parts store.
2014 Honda Ody, about 60k miles. We had this issue once (about two years ago) when the dealer replaced the battery and then the warning lights and message appeared. The service man told my wife they would need to charge us $80 to reset the computer. After discussing with my wife I decided to try to reset the computer myself by disconnecting the battery for a few hours and then reconnecting (standard procedure for a 'soft reset"). Well they convinced her my idea wouldn't work and we paid the charge.

Today the same warning happened right after I had to jump start the vehicle. I am now convinced it is a battery issue since the battery has been on it's last leg for a few months now. I will report back when I charge the battey or get a nw one. I am also disconnecting and attempting to reset the computer after attempting to charge the battery and before buying a new one. I am almost certain the battery is the issue to all these codes and like someone else mentioned the other tests performed by the dealer are just "red herrings".

·
Registered
248 Posts
As always, great resource here! I'm about ready to do the front brakes on my '16 EX-L and I'll pay very close attention to the fluid levels before and after and insure they're in range. New battery in the vehicle but I'll be sure to keep an eye on this going forward too...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts