Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed some leakage around the power steering pump, or at least on the engine-side of the hose coming from the power steering reservoir. My reservoir was not low on fluid so I assume it's very minor at this point. From the picture, can you tell what needs to be changed? Is it likely the hose or the pump? Thanks.

Edit - not sure how I uploaded the pic twice.

White Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas
White Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
seal on the elbow that fits into the pump is common on these.

good thread on the subject.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would recommend cleaning it up with brake cleaner. Then you may be able to tell if the PS pump is leaking onto the hose or if the hose is leaking.

That hose is PS pump return suction hose to the reservoir.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,831 Posts
That hose is PS pump return hose to the reservoir.
Suction hose, not return hose. Return hose is from the rack to the reservoir bottle.

-Charlie

Reactions: ckev70

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yup! I'd bet on those O-rings.
Yours is particularly the suction one.
But I'd also change return one too.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant Automotive lighting Automotive design

Yours is issue with Red color area. Remove the purple 10mm bolt with mini wrench. Ratchet will NOT fit because of very limited space.
I'd also change the top O-Ring the Yellow area with orange 2 bolts. Same 10mm.
*I couldn't find 4th gen pictures so I'm using 3rd gen pictures but bolts locations are the same.

The gaskets are:
Font Material property Gas Publication Auto part

91345-RP6-A01 for Suction.
91370-SV4-000 for return.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow that's incredible info. Pictures, part numbers. Lots of helpful people on here.

I assume I should suction out the fluid first to try to keep it from running everywhere?

Can I get at that 10MM nut (pink) with a racheting wrench?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow that's incredible info. Pictures, part numbers. Lots of helpful people on here.

I assume I should suction out the fluid first to try to keep it from running everywhere?

Can I get at that 10MM nut (pink) with a racheting wrench?
Yes, removing the fluid first helps less mess.
Or you can clamp the hose whichever you find it more convenient.

The bottom bolt won't fit ratchet unfortunately. Very limited space there so you gotta use regular wrenches.
Top 2 bolts you can use ratchet.
You can buy a 11 wrench set for $10 from Walmart; variety size wrenches for future repairs.
Font Rectangle Auto part Logo Eyelash

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a very slow leak or seepage exactly in the same area (2006 EX-L). I changed the orange gasket but no change. I cleaned the area with brake fluid to see where it is coming from. After 6 months or so, the 10mm bolt has a bit of fluid again! It's clear high-pressure hose and O-ring are not leaking. As I changed the orange O-ring already and it has not changed anything my guess is suction hose is leaking. This may be the case with yours too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I'll look at it visually to see what tool I can get in there with. I think I have a very small 10mm wrench along with a smaller 10mm racheting wrench.

But I'll also clean it up first and see if I can figure out what it's coming from.

I had an axle replaced by Honda around 3 years ago, and their service report indicated I should replace my PS pump because it was leaking. At that time I didn't see any evidence of leaking fluid. Now that I do I was worried it was the pump. Hopefully just those o-rings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going to drive by dealer tomorrow so I'll stop in and get the o-rings and some PS fluid. Looks like it comes in 12 oz containers. Is that enough to refill the reservoir after changing these out? I suppose I can ask at the parts desk but figured someone here would know. thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Noticed some leakage around the power steering pump, or at least on the engine-side of the hose coming from the power steering reservoir. My reservoir was not low on fluid so I assume it's very minor at this point. From the picture, can you tell what needs to be changed? Is it likely the hose or the pump? Thanks.

Edit - not sure how I uploaded the pic twice.

View attachment 168880 View attachment 168880
Always use a leak stop chemical first, & postpone power steering overhaul until after you sell the vehicle. I've wasted money servicing ps in the past

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,831 Posts
Going to drive by dealer tomorrow so I'll stop in and get the o-rings and some PS fluid. Looks like it comes in 12 oz containers. Is that enough to refill the reservoir after changing these out? I suppose I can ask at the parts desk but figured someone here would know. thanks.
One bottle is enough if you are doing a drain and fill of the reservoir. You'll need 2 if you want to replace most/all of the fluid in the system.

-Charlie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts