Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my lower ball joint this weekend and ran across this leak at my power steering rack. Pictures attached. I looked at the hoses and connections and they appear to dry. PS fluid level in the reservoir is now at the low level. Wasn't sure if anyone has seen this before and had any ideas on failure. I'm going to try and clean off the rack and locate the leak.

Thanks in advance - Rob
2012 Odyssey EXL
118,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
is the leak coming out from the boot? was the inner tie rod ever changed, is the boot band installed?
could be a piston seal ring leaking through the boot. also check the steering box above for leaks.

take a look at the diagrams, and deduce where there are seals and possible leak points then trace them.

if you remove the boot band to inspect, you will need to buy another from the dealer, around 5 bux and a bit tricky to crimp back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the leak coming out from the boot? was the inner tie rod ever changed, is the boot band installed?
could be a piston seal ring leaking through the boot. also check the steering box above for leaks.

take a look at the diagrams, and deduce where there are seals and possible leak points then trace them.

if you remove the boot band to inspect, you will need to buy another from the dealer, around 5 bux and a bit tricky to crimp back.
Ticket, thanks for the reply. Boot is dry (not filled with fluid) and it doesn't appear to be leaking. The tie rod is original and so is the boot band. Again, I'm going to clean off the rack, run the car, cycle the rack side to side, and watch for any leaking fluid at the gasketed joints. I'll report my findings.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,071 Posts
Curious that the differential area of the transmission is wet with oil too. It is reasonable to suspect that the steering system is the issue if the reservoir is low, but how would PS fluid get over to the trans?

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Curious that the differential area of the transmission is wet with oil too. It is reasonable to suspect that the steering system is the issue if the reservoir is low, but how would PS fluid get over to the trans?

-Charlie
airflow under the vehicle blowing it backwards?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
airflow under the vehicle blowing it backwards?
Yeah - scratching my head on this one too. Only thing I can think is that I'm getting some high pressure spray out of the rack and it's hitting the transaxle in front of the rack. Again, I need to clean them up and watch for spray and leaks while my 15 year old cycles the rack and gives me 1500 rpm on the engine.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,071 Posts
Make sure you go all the way to the steering stops to get maximum pressure in the system.

-Charlie

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Can see the 15 year old grinning while they crank on the wheel. Perhaps a discussion of how much pressure to apply would be good about now.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Yeah - scratching my head on this one too. Only thing I can think is that I'm getting some high pressure spray out of the rack and it's hitting the transaxle in front of the rack. Again, I need to clean them up and watch for spray and leaks while my 15 year old cycles the rack and gives me 1500 rpm on the engine.
any luck?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got back into looking at this problem. We're a 3 car house and with COVID19 we only need 1. So the minivan has been sitting. The good news is that I did find a leak in the supply hose just above the power steering pump (see picture). It was a tough one to spot and needed an inspection mirror to find it on the bottom side. It was where the hose meets the metal crimp. In the attached picture you can also see the oily reside on the top of the pump too (the dark spot to right of belt). I just replaced the hose and cleaned the upper engine AND the the rack where the steering column attaches to it. After running the car for 20 minutes I could NOT find any leaks at the rack. I'm hopeful it was just the supply hose leaking all the way down to the rack. The realist in me says there's another leak or problem. Keep you guys posted as I continue to watch for more "oily substance" at the rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
good find!
more than likely that was it.

had that part changed 2x on my 2001EX.
not a picnic to change.

thanks for updating the thread.

Possibly the most documented forum out there!

Now if the admin would add tags, we could find any issue easily.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
616 Posts
Finally got back into looking at this problem. We're a 3 car house and with COVID19 we only need 1. So the minivan has been sitting. The good news is that I did find a leak in the supply hose just above the power steering pump (see picture). It was a tough one to spot and needed an inspection mirror to find it on the bottom side. It was where the hose meets the metal crimp. In the attached picture you can also see the oily reside on the top of the pump too (the dark spot to right of belt). I just replaced the hose and cleaned the upper engine AND the the rack where the steering column attaches to it. After running the car for 20 minutes I could NOT find any leaks at the rack. I'm hopeful it was just the supply hose leaking all the way down to the rack. The realist in me says there's another leak or problem. Keep you guys posted as I continue to watch for more "oily substance" at the rack.
The rack isn't a common problem with your car... I suspect that the hose should have fixed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ticket/Jiantao - thanks for the confidence. I now have 300 new miles on the van and no loss of fluid from the reservoir and no oily residue on the power steering rack. It's mind blowing to think that the fluid could have been leaking down the high pressure hose and depositing residue on the driver side of the rack.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Thanks for the update... lots of non contributing new posters who hit and run once they get what they want.

cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts