Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have an '08 Ody and only had it for a couple of months and have put 3200 km's on it already with some trip here and there. Recently, I noticed that whenever I have the A/C on for an extended length of time water starts to leak on the passenger floor mat.
I do hear swishing around at the glove box area whenever i make a left turn with the A/C on. I looked under the glovebox to see if there was water dripping from there and there was, also some insulation under there is wet too.

Has anyone else had this problem? Why is this happening?

I'm going to bring it to the dealer as soon as i can to resolve this leaky situation.

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
There is a drain line running from the evaporator area to under the van. That is why vehicles drip water and form puddles of water under them. The drain in most cars, including your van is behind the passengers side front tire. You will need to clean out the hose. In heavy winter areas, the hose seems to get plugged.

The same applies to our vans in the back. For the rear A/C, the drain is behind the rear wheel. If you are having this done, make sure they clean both areas.

Also, see this thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45422

and have them look at those lines. If you are picking up enough road junk to clog A/C drain lines, then this may apply to you as well.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
An 08 should not be blocked from contamination as happens over years of driving. It sounds like something has blocked it fron inside. Head to the dealer as the plenum will probably need pulled. Waiting may cause corosion of the evaporator if as it sounds it is swimming in water.

·
Super Moderator
13,883 Posts
Yep. Like William Wiles says, take it in. :)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Actually quite common here in Canada. A lot of people undercoat their vehicles, and a careless applicator can spray the drain tube, plugging. If the dealer applied the undercoating, they need to fix this.

If you had it done elsewhere, then try taking a quick peak under the van first, dealer will likely charge you.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
mjody said:
Actually quite common here in Canada. A lot of people undercoat their vehicles, and a careless applicator can spray the drain tube, plugging. If the dealer applied the undercoating, they need to fix this.

If you had it done elsewhere, then try taking a quick peak under the van first, dealer will likely charge you.
Not if they applied the undercoating...and are responsible for the blockage....

;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No undercoating was applied to the car. Straight from the dealer onto the road.
Thanks for the info guys, it does sound like a defect or the line is kinked or clogged. I did see a large puddle, truck tire size, of water under the Passenger side of the car after ten minutes of parking it. So it holds the water for some reason and it is draining slowly.
I'm going to take it in on Monday and see what's up.

I do have another 3 hour trip tomorrow to do with the a/c on. We'll see.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Tommy's Ody said:
No undercoating was applied to the car. Straight from the dealer onto the road.
Thanks for the info guys, it does sound like a defect or the line is kinked or clogged. I did see a large puddle, truck tire size, of water under the Passenger side of the car after ten minutes of parking it. So it holds the water for some reason and it is draining slowly.
I'm going to take it in on Monday and see what's up.

I do have another 3 hour trip tomorrow to do with the a/c on. We'll see.

Thank you.
Do place a tray in the passenger side floor to catch any water drips though on the trip? And then show it to the dealer on Monday. This would be good evidence of a defect they must fix!

Have a safe one!

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
i'm not familiar with where the drain hose is located on my new van, but on Miatas the hose actually comes slightly into the passenger compartment and then exits the car. It's not unusual for this hose to be kicked loose, causing all condensation to be drained directly into the car. If the drain hose is like this on the Ody, then perhaps it's been kicked loose. Take a look under the passenger-side dash, lower than the a/c unit. If you see a hose dangling there, reconnect it to the obvious spot and it should be fine.

Then again, it might not intrude into the passenger compartment, and if this is the case, I just typed all this for naught. ;)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
It happened to our Ody at around 32K. I was not familiar with this issue, so the wife took it to the dealer.
First thing the dealer did was blame us for not doing proper maintenance and not replacing the cabin microfilter. When I told him that I replaced it at appropriate time interval, they blew compressed air into drain tube and unclogged it.
I gotta say that it was the weirdest noise I have ever heard in the car. It sounded like I had sand in the car and every time I turned, the sand would swish around. :D
Have dealer do the work under warranty.
Good luck,
Max

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took it to the dealer today and told them that water was leaking in the passneger compartment under the glove box. A few hours later they called me at work and they said that they unclogged the hose and it was spitting out water like a garden hose. I figured they checked and dried somewhat the carpet too.

Went to pick up the car @ 6:00pm, brought it home, inspected the "work" they did and they totally missed the soaked front carpet. I picked up the carpet a bit on the driver's side and the insulation on the bottom of the carpet is soaked. Floor mats are wet also and are starting to smell bad already.

I have the all weather mats from Honda in the car and I am only guessing that this fooled the technician from checking the carpet.

I'm not is a good mood. The car is going back to Honda tomorrow and demand they change the front carpet and floor mats under warranty.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Tommy's Ody said:
Took it to the dealer today and told them that water was leaking in the passneger compartment under the glove box. A few hours later they called me at work and they said that they unclogged the hose and it was spitting out water like a garden hose. I figured they checked and dried somewhat the carpet too.

Went to pick up the car @ 6:00pm, brought it home, inspected the "work" they did and they totally missed the soaked front carpet. I picked up the carpet a bit on the driver's side and the insulation on the bottom of the carpet is soaked. Floor mats are wet also and are starting to smell bad already.

I have the all weather mats from Honda in the car and I am only guessing that this fooled the technician from checking the carpet.

I'm not is a good mood. The car is going back to Honda tomorrow and demand they change the front carpet and floor mats under warranty.
Unfortunately the carpets are usually special order items but the mats should be available.

Should've checked it when you picked it up earlier, might've saved you this additional trip?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It has happened to my 2007 LX. Exactly WHERE is this elusive drain tube located an WHAT does it look like? Pics of a diagram would be great.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
It has happened to my 2007 LX. Exactly WHERE is this elusive drain tube located an WHAT does it look like? Pics of a diagram would be great.
- Drive the front of the van on ramps (I use wood ramps).
- Locate between the aft part of the front tires.
- Now draw an imaginary straight line between RF and LF tires.
- The drain tube is a black rubber hose sitting near the middle of this imaginary line. It is above the exhaust pipes.

PS: Trick...if you have a grass trimmer, then use the plastic trimmer to dislodge the debris inside the AC drain tube.
The grass trimmer is flexible and stiff enough to poke the drain tube.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is an old question, but for others who have the problem now, I think that's a symptom of the air conditioner drsin line being clogged, causing water to accumulate in the drip pan beneath the evaporator. The fix shoukd be to suck crud out of the drain line with a shop vac that has a narrow attachment (rigged up from something).

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Here is picture I took this weekend of 2005 Odyssey LX.
Hopefully this helps whoever is still struggling to locate the drain:
AC Drain tube.JPG

Max

1 - 18 of 18 Posts