Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I parked my car on a little hill, I saw some liquid coming out from under my car. Could it be something leaking from my car, or is it the air conditioner ? Weather here in Vancouver is not very hot, and I only turned my AC to 23C .

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
Today when I parked my car on a little hill, I saw some liquid coming out from under my car. Could it be something leaking from my car, or is it the air conditioner ? Weather here in Vancouver is not very hot, and I only turned my AC to 23C .</font>
Hi Lookinco,

Where was the water coming from? The AC condensation drain drops the water just inside the right front wheel. This is normal anytime the AC is active. Keep in mind, the AC part of the ventilation system works the same regardless of what temperature you've got the system set for. The difference is, whether or not it also blends in a little heat to keep the temperature where you want it. As a result, a fair amount of water condenses out of the air as it's being cooled. This is perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned about.

FWIW, here on the Texas Gulf Coast, we routinely run 80% or higher in relative humidity with temps above 90 degrees. That means there's a lot of moisture in the air and it's not uncommon for me to find a small river running down the driveway after I park the car.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Answered my questions

Glad I did a search on this. I was wondering about the puddles in my garage near both passenger wheels. I assumed the front was the air conditioning, but the rear had me mystified. Too far forward for the exhaust, but didn't seem to be anything else back there.

I've never had a car that drained water from the air conditioner before. What's different about the Ody's air that makes it piss all over the place when other vehicles deal with condensation without doing that? Darn annoying to have a puddle in my garage all the time.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've never seen a vehicle that didn't drip condensation when the A/C was operated. It's possible you didn't notice it because it was too far inboard for you to notice. I frequently don't see the condensation from my Ody, but then I don't go looking for it. Also, if you park where the pavement is hot, it will evaporate quickly.

Another possibility for not seeing the condensation drain is a plugged drain hose.

Mel

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Mel said:
I've never seen a vehicle that didn't drip condensation when the A/C was operated. It's possible you didn't notice it because it was too far inboard for you to notice. I frequently don't see the condensation from my Ody, but then I don't go looking for it. Also, if you park where the pavement is hot, it will evaporate quickly.

Another possibility for not seeing the condensation drain is a plugged drain hose.

Mel
Right on, Mel. The time I had no drainage from my A/C, the drain line had become dislodged and I finally noticed that the carpet was wet. It was many years ago and my first A/C equiped car. I would get right on it and try to find out where the water is going, unless I lived somewhere like Denver, where it is too dry for a cold soda can to sweat.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Plugged condensate hose...

Reminds me of my first car, a Datsun 210 4dr sedan. I drove back two hours from Lake Texoma with a friend. He sleep the whole way back all stretched out with the front seat fully reclined. He woke up toward the end of the return trip home with COLD, WET feet. The condensate line had plugged and completely filled the passenger side floor board with several inches of water.

Just when the thing dried out I ended up becoming captain of a submarine when the poor little car got swamped in a torrential rain. That car never smelled right from then on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Blocked A/C Drain

Would a blocked A/C drain line result in a wet smell when the A/C is turned on? It doesn't smell musty/mildewy (yet!). Any other ideas? Just trying to figure out the possibilities when/if I take it into the shop. It helps if I can tell the guys there something intelligent.

2000 Odyssey.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
That smell is more than likely the result of mildew on the evaporator. You can try spraying Lysol into the intake vents by the base of the windshield under high fan speed. Keep the windows / doors open as it will smell quite a bit for awhile.

A plugged line will certainly introduce copious amounts of water into areas like the floor board.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, all of you, for dealing with the 'wet' smell when I turn on the A/C.

Haven't any water inside so don't expect plugged lines but will check. Cabin filter was replaced last fall but will check that again -- found the instructions. From the posts I figure I can do it myself.

Saw some posts advising to turn off the A/C to allow the coils to dry prior to turning off the van; haven't been doing that so will start doing that as well.

I assume the A/C filter and the cabin filter are the same thing? Seem to be used interchangeably.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Yes the A/C filter = cabin filter.

If the A/C drains are working properly, after the A/C has been on and come to a stop, check to make sure that you have water dripping from the rear of the front passenger wheel well area and the rear of the rear passenger wheel well.

"Saw some posts advising to turn off the A/C to allow the coils to dry prior to turning off the van; haven't been doing that so will start doing that as well." - this is a good habit to get into.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
"Saw some posts advising to turn off the A/C to allow the coils to dry prior to turning off the van; haven't been doing that so will start doing that as well." - this is a good habit to get into.
That in interesting, as I've never heard this piece of advice before. How far in advance of shutting down the van would you recommend turning off the AC?

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I've read about it on here sometime don't remember, but here is what Popular Mechanics says:

"(2) SMELLS LIKE: GYM SOCKS

WHEN: You turn on the heater/air-conditioner fan and you get a whiff of that high-school gym locker.
THE CULPRIT: It's good, old-fashioned mildew growing in the moisture condensing inside your a/c evaporator. And no, drizzling Listerine down the vents won't fix it, in spite of what your brother-in-law read on the Internet. Check popularmechanics.com/musty for advice on curing this. Cheap solution: Turn off the a/c a mile from home and run the fan on high to dry the system out."

Taken from http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/2423551.html

P.S. I really could use a cargo tray but the shipping to Canada would kill the deal :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pleased to report that I replaced the a/c filter ($34.99 at Canadian Tire) in record time using the good photo instructions posted elsewhere on this site. Shop guys had cut the plastic bracket previously, so job was a breeze.

A/C is draining properly by both passenger tires.

No more nasty junior-high-gym-bag smell when I turn the a/c on.

Thanks everybody.

New Motto: You can do it; OdyClub can help.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
drivingmom, as in a lady throwin' wrenches on the Ody?

Ma'am, you rock.

Truly best regards,

OF

·
Registered
14 Posts
Naw, don't do much myself. Not much to do since I found the secret to Fuse 13 to fix the auto door annoyances. Mostly I take it into the shop but it helps to be able to talk a little 'turkey' with the guys so they don't try to bamboozle me too badly.

But the accolade is appreciated.

Canadian Tire + OdyClub = One Smug Chick

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
***Snip ***
Absolutely- and it works for the rear unit too. The rear evaporator is cold and condenses moisture whenever the AC is on, even if the rear fan is off. So when you turn off the AC nearing home, switch on the rear fan if it's not already on.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Even Mazda advises running the blower on high just before turning off A/C and the vehicle. I was looking up info for my bro's Mazda and came across it.

"To minimize A/C odor, suggest the following to the customers:
- Keep the cooling unit dry by leaving the blower fan ON (at least on low), even if the A/C is not
being used.
- In low humidity (dry) conditions, keep the ventilation system in the “FRESH” mode all the time,
or as much as possible.
- In high humidity conditions, or if the air has a lot of dust or pollen, keep the system in the
“RECIRCULATION” mode.
- A few minutes before reaching a destination, turn the A/C OFF, but leave the blower fan ON.
This stops the accumulation of condensation on the evaporator/cooling unit, and it helps dry the
inside of the cooling unit."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts