Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I'm looking to lease an EX-L with rear dvd. Minimal down and not sure if I want to go with 12 or 15k on the miles. What prices can I expect in the Southern California area?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any info on lease prices, but I wanted to warn you to be prepared. Around here, the next 10 responses will probably just lecture you on the evils of leasing. That is just how most people roll here in the OC........

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wanted to lease but just 3-4 days before getting the Odyssey, decided to finance.

You should read tips about how to negotiate a lease. 12K or 15K should be your personal choice. I suggest that you should mention 12K and if they don't lower the price at your level of comfort, then ask them to raise the annual miles.

One thing I have read a lot is that you should start negotiating with lowering purchase price and then tell them how much you want to put down and at the end the monthly payment. Lower purchase price means lower buying price at the end of lease. Dealers can change monthly payments very easily. Also make sure that you don't have to pay anything at the end of lease.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You should read tips about how to negotiate a lease. 12K or 15K should be your personal choice. I suggest that you should mention 12K and if they don't lower the price at your level of comfort, then ask them to raise the annual miles.

Good Luck.
The amount of miles driven a year has no affect on the price. Raising the miles per year will just make the payment go up since you will have a lower residual value. I believe the difference in payment between a 12k and 15k mile/yr lease is around $10-15/month Just negotiate the price like it was a purchase and if your comfortable at the lease payment with no money down, then you should do that as all Honda leases come with GAP insurance. If not, then put down as little as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Negotiated a lease in Pennsylvania, EX-L with RES, Price slightly under $34K, max cap cost reduction (20%) down, lease payment approx $230 per month. This was a 15K/yr lease. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why would you want to put 20% down? I would recommend not doing that, your throwing alot of money away
Well, for us a lower payment works best. We will be on one salary for the next year because of our third child to be born next month. Still responsible for that third of the vehicle whether a lesser down payment and higher monthly payment, or greater down payment and lesser monthly payment. Why do you think that it is throwing money away?

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's not an issue of "throwing money away." That's not at all what's happening by way of a down payment. True, you are reducing your liquidity, but you are definitely not throwing money away.

Leasing is just a different financing mechanism versus a conventional loan.

The best way to think about it is the loss of liquidity versus the rate of interest you pay were you to instead not put the money down. Only you can make that decision. If the lease interest rate is sufficiently low, then it may not make sense to put a lot of money down.

Buying the car in the first place could be viewed as "throwing money away," since a vehicle is a depreciating asset -- particularly at the outset.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
It's not an issue of "throwing money away." That's not at all what's happening by way of a down payment. True, you are reducing your liquidity, but you are definitely not throwing money away.
In certain cases, it is like throwing money away.

Why do you think that it is throwing money away?
Even with GAP insurance on a lease, if the car is stolen or totaled during ownership, then your down payment is gone.

Down Payment — How Much if Any? - Edmunds.com
Auto Lease 101 > Putting Money Down On A Lease
Should I Put Any Money Down When I Lease?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't speak for the EX-L, but I've just leased a Touring for zero down, $495 per month for 35 months and 56% residual (on a $38179 price tag). For the record, we intend to buy the vehicle after the three years (if we like it as much as we think we will) and the leasing option made sense compared to buying (even with the 0.9% loan over 5 years Honda was offering).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't speak for the EX-L, but I've just leased a Touring for zero down, $495 per month for 35 months and 56% residual (on a $38179 price tag). For the record, we intend to buy the vehicle after the three years (if we like it as much as we think we will) and the leasing option made sense compared to buying (even with the 0.9% loan over 5 years Honda was offering).

Did you put anything down? My wife got a quite for EX-L with DVD/Nav for $0 down and 549/mo for 36mo/12k....trying to figure out if its a good deal

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just leased an EX-L (no RES) for $367.50/month (incl. 7% tax) with $2000 down. That's with a sales price of $31,800 (not including fees). Given the RES adds $1600 to the MSRP, I think you would be close to $450 with no money down. The best thing you can do is send out some quote requests to local Honda dealers from their websites. You should get some quotes back. I got a quote within 1 hour for a sales price of $31,849. Took it in to a dealer right down the street from me and told them as long as they beat it I'd buy. I probably could have done just a little better but felt I did good enough. In my opinion, the key is to talk sales price, residual, etc... and then back in to the payment you want. Here's an example for you:

EX-L w/ RES
MSRP: $37,285
Sales Price: $33,500
Residual: 57% ($21,252.45)
Money Factor: .00115 (2.76%)

If you put no money down, that should yield a monthly payment of roughly $403 (before taxes and fees). I see you're in California, so I believe your tax is as much as 10%, so it would be $403 x .10 = $443.30/month without any fees. Add in the fees and you're around $450. Hope that helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts