Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
IF you don't go over the miles per year limit the total cost of ownership of a lease will be a little higher than a purchase. There are a bazillion worksheets on the web that will bear this out. Total cost has to include the lost interest on the extra money it usually costs to get in to a purchase. And no thoughts of a Honda Care if you're walking away at 3 years.

Personally the biggest factor that led to me leasing rather than buying was the assumption that a new car every 3 years would allow me to spend the least amount of time in the service department. I hate service departments.

------------------
dMax
'02 GG EX-L w/fog lights

·
Registered
62 Posts
It sounds like this thread has listed most of the pros and cons of leasing, but I found what I thought was a good website that outlines these issues and made suggestions about how to perform the actual lease process.

http://www.e-cartips.com/car_leasing_how_to_and_tips.html

I personally would not be a good candidate for leasing. We keep our cars for a long time and have been fortunate to have few associated problems. We have generally bought a car and financed it for 4 years and then bought another. So, we always have one car that is an older, but only one payment. We have friends that have leased and expereinced some difficulty getting out of a lease and overusing their miles. However, we also have friends that swear by leasing and have been very happy. I guess you just have to detemine what your needs are and then make the best fit for yourself or your family. I do want to add that I do not feel like I have compromised my families safety by not changing cars with each new technological update that has been introduced. Buying a new car each time a new safety option is added to the automobile industry would certainly not be feasible for anyone.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dMax:
Personally the biggest factor that led to me leasing rather than buying was the assumption that a new car every 3 years would allow me to spend the least amount of time in the service department. I hate service departments.

</font>
Huh. I just buy a Honda. Voila--I'm spending the least amount of time in a service department as compared to anyone.

But, you can't get away from maintenance. Do you do the regular maintenance, or do you just change the oil a couple of times (probably at Jiffy Lube) and then hand the car back in?

I'm curious, because I'm ambivalent about buying lease return cars. That would be one reason why. People lease "to avoid having repair costs" and "to avoid spending time in the service department". But over 36,000 miles, you should have spent at least some time there.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts