Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently debating a 2002 EX, or EX-L. The leather sure would be nice and makes the interior look great, but it's also expensive. I have leather in both my current cars, and my 1 and 3-year-olds delight in dropping sticky candy etc. on the seat surfaces from time to time. One patch of leather is beyond saving as it had some fruit juice on it for days before I moved the child seat and found it. Leather is certainly easier to wipe clean when there is a mess of course.
So, what's best? Leather or well-scotchguarded cloth?
Any and all comments welcomed... I just don't want to ruin whatever I end up getting.

Richard

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rearsonjr,

Years ago I had a daughter that was always getting sick in the car. My solution was to cover the seat with a plastic garbage bag and a bath towel and carry a small plastic pail. If there was a mishap on seat it was no problem to clean up and never really messed up the seat covering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have to go with the leather. We have a 2001 EX, but had leather installed by the dealer aftermarket. It is still as good as new. If we had cloth seats, I am sure they would be soiled by now. Leather also looks cleaner and feels better on the skin, IMO.

------------------

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went through the same debate and opted for the EX, no leather. I intend to cover the seats completely with a seat cover I saw at One Step Ahead, which covers the sides and back of the seat as well as the seat itself, and removes for laundering if necessary. That should protect the leather for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Leather is extremely hot in a closed up vehicle on a 90 degree day. Your kids will have to wait til the a/c cools them off before you can sit on them with shorts/bathing suits. You can always cover them, but why have leather then.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I vote for leather. I have leather on my Volvo and it's great. After 14 years though I had to have it redone. Once in a while after a trip to the beach the seats were hot but just lay a towel on the seat(s). Then when you get home be sure to wipe the seats with a damp rag.
===========================================
02 RP EX-L in transit
82 Volvo Turbo w/300k (current ride)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jarcher - I understand your RRP EX-L is being prepared for you at Weseloh. I called Bob there on Tuesday, and he told me if I had called a few days earlier, I might have beaten you to it
. Well, I'm prepared to wait in line for my RRP EX-L - but not too long. I hope your experience there was/is a good one...

Richard

·
Registered
79 Posts
i vote leather...why?????
well 2 summers ago our family and our '93 Chrysler T&C went to conneticut.
well my oldest (4 at the time) lost bladder control while sleeping. we pulled over as quick as we could.... to our amazement and relief the urine was in a HUGE puddle under the carseat but still contained by the leather seat. in other words it did not go through the leather and was easily sopped up with a diaper.
my moral is i'll NEVER go back to cloth! Its easier to keep clean and to clean, and i never had a problem with the seats being too hot or too cold. I found that VINAL is very hot and very cold.
Leather all the way for me!

------------------
  • :D 2002 Odyssey
    EX with Leather and DVD Entertainment System
    in Redrock Pearl
  • 1994 accord 4cyl LX

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I vote leather. This past Saturday my not quite 3 month old son upchucked in my not quite 3 month old 02 Ody EX-L. Wiped right off the leather with no problem. When I took purchase of the vehicle I immediately treated the leather with a conditioner/protector. I plan to apply this conditioner every 3 months. I looked at my wife and said, "I'm sure glad we went with the leather." She said, "Yea, if we had the cloth the smell would be terrible." We were 45 minutes from home and wouldn't have been able to apply a cleaner to the cloth right away. By the time we would have made it home it would have been smelling pretty nasty in the van. As far as sticky candy and food goes. My kids aren't allowed to eat food and candy in the van. They don't mind this at all. They know Daddy is a neat freak. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 02EXLODY:
...When I took purchase of the vehicle I immediately treated the leather with a conditioner/protector. I plan to apply this conditioner every 3 months...</font>
Which brand leather conditioner do you like?

Thanks,

Maugham

·
Registered
31 Posts
I say go with the leather. We had a similar experience with behind the seat, but we didn't have any stains in the leather. I imagine unleft juice on cloth would be more likely to stain.

We have a leather couch as well and love how easy it is to clean up.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm using "Eagle One" leather care. It seems to work very well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had both. Leather stains will occur under child car seats if you do not keep a towel underneath it.

The Cloth seats hold touchup paint REAL WELL, just ask my two year old (at the time).

I opted for cloth on my 2002 Ody. I did notice Honda now sells a leather care product.

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an 8 month old daughter already standing on her own with the help of the couch. Once in a while she would place her drooly mouth on the seat. Luckliy the couch was leather. Wiping off her drool was fast and easy. Yes, I would go with leather. Also, when you park the van on a hot sunny day, with the use of sunshade under your windshield will prevent burning your buns and back. (of course if you have shorts, ouch!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Leather all the way. I have cloth in my 88 Prelude - wear is horrible. Leather in the 94 Camry - looks like new. With children - no question - leather!

------------------
'02 TW EX-L
Previous Hondas:
'88 Prelude S
'78 Accord Hatchback

1 - 16 of 16 Posts