Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang! I just signed up yesterday and I absolutely love it here....tons of info. My '01 TW Ody EX (splash guards, gold pkg with gold EX, cargo tray, tinted windows) still has that "New Payment" smell...ha! ha!
Anyhow, I've gotten a price from my dealer to get Katzkin leather installed for $1250. Is this a good price? Anyone have any comments on Katzkins? I've got leather on my 2000 4Runner and love it. Are the seats more comfortable with leather? I can't get used to the driver's seat yet. I can't quite put my finger on the problem, but i think the headrest does not angle forward enough....I DO NOT KNOW...Maybe I will adjust to the seats.

Thanks,Kip

·
Registered
585 Posts
Had a Pathfinder w/ heated leather seats....didn't really care for them that much. I actually haven't even considered getting leather for my ody despite what the majority seem to be doing.

For spills; I've got weathertech mats & lionheart underseat protectors for the child seats. I personally like the look & feel of the quartz interior on my SS so I don't plan to change it to leather anytime soon.

Now if it was that smooth black 'creased' looking leather like wasin the Maximas a few year ago...I might have to consider it...
But for now I'm sure my butt will thank me on those winter mornings when I go hop in the car in nothing but a thin pair of slacks on.

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI (1700 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't have the Katzkin leather, but have the Classic Soft Trim. We like it a lot. The clean up from kids is very easy. I didn't get the opportunity to test out an Ody with cloth, but several comments in this forum indicate that the seats are stiffer with the leather. As for the price, the $1250 seems reasonable. We paid $1350. I know of a dealer in our area that is charging $2500.

Good Luck,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
78 Posts
Generally, my wife and I strongly prefer leather. Before learning that the 02's were coming with a leather option, we had decided to not have the dealer install leather from the onset, but rather to wait a year or two until our kids had the cloth seats good and trashed and then install the leather.

That way we wouldn't feel as wasteful just ditching the cloth seats and we could look forward to a very nice "improvement" down the road.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been put in an unusual position and would like help with the answer. My replacement van won't be here for another week, but the dealer called me today to say that through a major snafu, he had a MesaBeige EX which was sent to the leather-folks early. They began installing before they got the okay, so...there's an MB '01EX with leather which he can give me for $800. more. I can even go tomorrow to look at it, and I don't have to take it.

I'm not crazy about leather, but my husband is. And how can the seats be stiffer? Do you mean "creakier", or not as soft? I liked the way the fabric seats sat in my first van. Any help here? Is that a good deal?

·
Registered
200 Posts
MerpsMom,

By stiffer, I meant that they have more support. Like I said in the earlier post, I can't say from personal experience but that is what I have read. As for whether the $800 is a deal...well, I believe that I have seen people on this forum purchase the leather kits for around $350-$450 on eBay or similar site. However, I read one post that said the person had spent 15 hours doing the front and middle row seats. I would say that for $450 (your $800 - the lowest $350) it probably is worth it.

Good luck,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX

See photos at:

·
Registered
61 Posts
MerpsMom
Do you know if the passenger seat has 4-way power? The '02 leather models are reported to have this. Just curious!

·
Registered
61 Posts
MerpsMom: Boy, did I screw up! I read (into) your post that the factory messed up and installed leather, but on rereading, that ain't so. Guess it's just wishful thinking that my '02 was on it's way down the ass'y line, and I wanted to very some of those '02 rumors.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
I've been put in an unusual position and would like help with the answer. My replacement van won't be here for another week, but the dealer called me today to say that through a major snafu, he had a MesaBeige EX which was sent to the leather-folks early. They began installing before they got the okay, so...there's an MB '01EX with leather which he can give me for $800. more. I can even go tomorrow to look at it, and I don't have to take it.

I'm not crazy about leather, but my husband is. And how can the seats be stiffer? Do you mean "creakier", or not as soft? I liked the way the fabric seats sat in my first van. Any help here? Is that a good deal?
</font>

$800 for leather? Good deal I will jump on it. I am not putting leather in my Ody but you don't want to miss a good deal.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard,
Wheel Lock
Cargo Tray,
Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover
Lojack

·
Registered
579 Posts
Leather? No way....I don't want anything to do with leather seat as long as I'm in Arizona. It will burn your leg after park under the sun for a while. I known a lot of people with leather seat cars end up using towel on top of the seat. Plus it doesn't circulate as well as cloth for driving long distance. It make your legs and your butt sweat all the time. I never like it from y previous leather seat car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanx for all the replies, and here's the upshot: I only had 15 minutes at the dealer to decide if I wanted this car with the leather in it. (The 15 minutes was because I had to get to the airport to pick up family, and couldn't take anymore time to decide!) I took it, and couldn't be more pleased. The after-market company doing the work did a great job, the color is perfect, and I really believe the seats are more comfy. So...for $800., which my dealer felt was a real bargain, I'm happy, he's happy, and finally I have a car! The transmission problems on the first car turned out to be a blessing since I really love the new vehicle, and didn't like the first one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
MerpsMom - So glad to hear everything ended up working out well for you... I was discouraged after reading of the treatment TomHan has received with the paint problems he's had, so I'm glad to hear Honda did right by you...

And the $800 is a bargain, by the way. My wife wanted leather (mostly because it would be easier to keep clean) but we decided to hold off and see how the cloth holds up. Glad you're enjoying the new one!

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
200 Posts
Congratulations! It is great to hear how pleased you are with your decision.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX

See photos at:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts