Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 17 year old vehicle the driver leather seat is holding up pretty well, but cracks are developing on the lower vinyl section facing the door. We owned the van since new in 2002 and have driven it just 110K miles and it is in great condition otherwise.
Any suggestions how to keep the vinyl area from fully breaking off?
IMG_2128.JPG

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have seen leather repair kits that you can purchase that come with patches to repair tears. You could also find a local upholstery shop and see what they recommend or what they could do for you. Really, the best thing you can do for your leather seats are clean them and condition them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried the leather repair kits and it didn't work so well. The "glue" you pour in requires that the crack be facing up which is not really possible on the side of the seat. Maybe I tried a cheap kit.

I have looked at purchasing a passenger seat bottom but the part numbers don't match, I haven't taken them off to compare but from looking at pictures it looks like the heated seat plug is on the other side which would be an easy workaround by extending the cables.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I believe Honda has discontinued the seat covers and pads. You may be able to find and aftermarket seat cover or a used one online or out of a wrecking yard if you don't want to bring it into an upholstery shop.

·
Registered
172 Posts
look up leather seat repair on you tube and you'll learn how to use a kit and repair it like a pro, you'll apply new vinyl into your crack wait for it to dry and then do the same a couple more times, with a light sand between coats, drying time sped up with a hair dryer, several minutes between coats then you'll sand and level it and apply a dye to the white vinyl filler where the crack is. Usually the person dyes that whole panel but I see no reason to not use "frog tape" anti capillary action tape and just mask and dye the crack itself albeit with a little darker or lighter color (very hard to exactly color match.)
I've watched a bunch of videos you'll have to do a little research to determine what you think is the best kit out there.
Please keep us posted

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked for a quote from . Did not get their reply yet.
Anybody dealt with this company before?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was just comparing the seats on the online OEM parts stores. Initially I was planning on getting a junk yard passenger seat and trying it out but I just haven't had the time.

My repair kits glue peeled and rolled off after a while.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked for a quote from . Did not get their reply yet.
Anybody dealt with this company before?
I just got their quote; it is for $100.
I will stop by a couple local shops to hear what they would charge.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Looks good!

Just to clarify...they removed the seat bottom cover and replaced the entire side panel with new vinyl, correct?

·
Registered
953 Posts
It looks really good. I have to bring my wife's car down to an upholstery shop to repair a puncture in her seats.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good!

Just to clarify...they removed the seat bottom cover and replaced the entire side panel with new vinyl, correct?
Yes, that is what they did. Great job. Looks like new. The slightly brighter area you see is the reflection from the dome light when I took the photo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
legend700
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing