Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a leather steering wheel cover and it’s an inexpensive good-looking upgrade. It’s a little difficult at first but as you get in your groove it gets easier. I don’t undertand why the instruction says that you can’t tighten more than one stitch at a time. It’s actually easier to lace 2 stitches before you pull the string. Pull it tight, enough that the edges are touching…..not overlapping. Don’t be afraid to pull the string, the leather is tougher than it seems. Lace it up! Do your double tie knot and cut off the excess string as the instruction says. As an additional reinforcement to prevent the knot from coming undone overtime, use one of those long kitchen/grill lighters and burn the knot to melt it, just enough to form some sort of glue after it cools off. Voila! Seat back and appreciate your work. Check out the finish product by clicking the URL below.

http://members9.clubphoto.com/anna548115/guest-1.phtml

Enjoy!
Mr Ody

[This message has been edited by Miss Ody (edited 02-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Miss Ody (edited 02-24-2002).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
I noticed on your pic site that you have 2002 modle Ody with aftermarket leather seats, will the side airbags work with the seat covers? I know other people had put on aftermarket leather seats covers but assume that they had 99-01 Ody. I was thinking of putting on sheep skin covers but remember that 02 comes with side airbags built into the seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the airbags will deploy when activated because of a special stitch they used on the airbag side. That was also my 1st question to the guys who did my seats. When I got the van from the shop, I checked it and there's a "SRS AIRBAG" hot pressed on the side of the seats where the airbags are located. The place where I had the leather and the RES done is a certified contractor of the dealership. I received a separate 3 yrs/36K warranty certificate that the dealership will honor if and when I need a claim. Thanks for clarifying that, I'm sure this concern will come up again sooner or later. I will add another picture at the site with shot of what I'm talking about.

Regards,
Mr Ody

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Miss Ody:
I just installed a leather steering wheel cover and it’s an inexpensive good-looking upgrade. It’s a little difficult at first but as you get in your groove it gets easier. I don’t undertand why the instruction says that you can’t tighten more than one stitch at a time. It’s actually easier to lace 2 stitches before you pull the string. Pull it tight, enough that the edges are touching…..not overlapping. Don’t be afraid to pull the string, the leather is tougher than it seems. Lace it up! Do your double tie knot and cut off the excess string as the instruction says. As an additional reinforcement to prevent the knot from coming undone overtime, use one of those long kitchen/grill lighters and burn the knot to melt it, just enough to form some sort of glue after it cools off. Voila! Seat back and appreciate your work. Check out the finish product by clicking the URL below.

http://members9.clubphoto.com/anna548115/guest-1.phtml

Enjoy!
Mr Ody

[This message has been edited by Miss Ody (edited 02-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Miss Ody (edited 02-24-2002).]
</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I purchased the leather steering wheel cover, and it arrived today. I started to put it on, but I am having an issue keeping the the lacing tight at the start. Is there a trick that I'm missing? I was considering loosely lacing a section of the wheel (...say a quarter at a time), and then pulling it tight loop by loop. Then continuing to the next section. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
OK, you can forget my last post. As I worked my way around the wheel (...and I didn't do a section at a time), things started to tighten right up. When I got all the way around the wheel, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the starting piece tight. It turned out great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Put my leather steering wheel cover on today. It was easy to install. What an improvement!!
I highly recommend this cover to every Ody owner! Fog lights to install tomorrow!


------------------
Dave
02 GG Odyssey EXL, Full Nose Mask, Cargo Tray, Mud Guards, Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Coming soon: Fog Lights(on hand), RES.
88 Ford Escort GT, My 150 mile a day commuter car
01 Oldsmobile Alero GOV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Steering wheel cover installation

I installed the cover yesterday. It is a relatively easy install but sure takes time. Take Odynut's advice in using the pliers to pull the string. I used my hand :( ...:mad: don't try it unless you wrap band aid or something on your fingers before you pull the string.
One note of caution: The string is waxed and sticky, so it tends to knot up very easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Just curious, I have purchased the leather wrap cover but have not installed it yet. How do you start off lacing up the cover? Do you do a knot in the beginning to hold the string in place, or just leave some excess at the start to tie the other end to when you come full circle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Miss Ody said:
I just installed a leather steering wheel cover and it’s an inexpensive good-looking upgrade. It’s a little difficult at first but as you get in your groove it gets easier. I don’t undertand why the instruction says that you can’t tighten more than one stitch at a time. It’s actually easier to lace 2 stitches before you pull the string. Pull it tight, enough that the edges are touching…..not overlapping. Don’t be afraid to pull the string, the leather is tougher than it seems. Lace it up! Do your double tie knot and cut off the excess string as the instruction says. As an additional reinforcement to prevent the knot from coming undone overtime, use one of those long kitchen/grill lighters and burn the knot to melt it, just enough to form some sort of glue after it cools off. Voila! Seat back and appreciate your work. Check out the finish product by clicking the URL below.

http://members9.clubphoto.com/anna548115/guest-1.phtml

Enjoy!
Mr Ody

[This message has been edited by Miss Ody (edited 02-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Miss Ody (edited 02-24-2002).]
I noticed that you have the Audiovox overhead screen. Is it the VOH702 model? Where did you mount the TV antenna? Do you have a picture of the antenna installed on your Ody? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr. Z said:
Do you do a knot in the beginning to hold the string in place, or just leave some excess at the start to tie the other end to when you come full circle?
You just need to leave a couple of inches allowance when you start lacing so you can do the knot at the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Leather Steering Wheel Cover Installation Tips

AlpineMan said:


I noticed that you have the Audiovox overhead screen. Is it the VOH702 model? Where did you mount the TV antenna? Do you have a picture of the antenna installed on your Ody? Thanks.
The antenna is mounted in the back of the rearview mirror. Open attachement below.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Leather Steering Wheel Cover Installation Tips

Miss Ody said:


The antenna is mounted in the back of the rearview mirror. Open attachement below.
Do you have to extend the antenna to get good reception on your TV? I'm wondering whether there are any other mobile TV antennas out there that aren't so noticeable...maybe like the built-in am/fm antenna in the rear window???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
DDakRT

Where did you get a two-tone leather steering wheel cover at and which wood trim vendor did you go with? What type of wood did you pick, it looks darker than rosewood and matches the steering wheel beautifully.

I know there's a thread somewhere out there, but what wood type through which vendor best matches the optional wood steering wheel from Honda? I think I've heard burlwood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I finished up my leather steering wheel install today. The leather-wrapped steering wheel feels much nicer now.

I'd rate the Honda steering wheel cover as "good enough." It does the job, but a factory cover is much better. I saw Honda's wood steering wheel at the dealer today, and noticed that its leather is wrapped like my BMW's factory cover.

First, the stitches are done by machine, not by a clumsy human (me). They're super-tight.

Second, factory leather covers fit entirely over the spokes; the whole spoke gets wrapped with leather. In the picture below, you can see that the add-on cover just goes around the spokes, so it doesn't fit perfectly:


I'm not being picky - there's a real difference in fit and finish. Still, this is my favorite accessory for my Ody. It's the third car I've added a leather cover to. I can't stand a plastic steering wheel.

Marshall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Marshall said:
I finished up my leather steering wheel install today. The leather-wrapped steering wheel feels much nicer now.

I'm not being picky - there's a real difference in fit and finish. Still, this is my favorite accessory for my Ody. It's the third car I've added a leather cover to. I can't stand a plastic steering wheel.

Marshall
Good job Marshall!! Not bad for a $36 upgrade, wouldnt you say so? The woodgrain/leather steering wheel option for the Ody is $360.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Re: Re: Leather Steering Wheel Cover Installation Tips

AlpineMan said:


Do you have to extend the antenna to get good reception on your TV? I'm wondering whether there are any other mobile TV antennas out there that aren't so noticeable...maybe like the built-in am/fm antenna in the rear window???
I find little difference with the antenna retracted/extended. With those mobile TV antennas, I think the more concealed they are the worse reception they have. That's just my opinion ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Maybe I'm just missing something here.....

......but when I look at the pdf file from HandA's site for installing the cover, it seems unclear as to what one must do around the spokes. Is it obvious once you get into it how to "loop" or hide the thread under the cover to jump over to the next section to continue lacing? It looks to me like these instructions are rather dated and generic......especially if the new Ody cover goes over more of the spokes than is depicted in the drawings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Behind the spokes

Once you start lacing, it will work out fine. The trick is starting to lace the way they explain in the instructions. If you do it correctly, the lace will be behind the spoke when you jump around it, so it isn't exposed.

You start lacing by putting the needle through a hole in the front from behind, then push it through the hole immediately behind the one you just passed through. Next, cross over to the hole to the left of the one you just laced and repeat by then lacing the hold behind that one. You should end up lacing the hole before the spoke, then you have to pass the lace behind the spoke to get to the next hole in the front to the left of the spoke.

It is easier to see what I am talking about when you start lacing. I have done it already, but re-reading what I just typed seems more complicated than it is.

A tip I can share is to lace 2 holes at a time. What I did was when I laced a hole, I kept some tension on the lace with one hand and threaded the needle with the other. When I was ready to pull tight the next hole, I would first re-tighten the hole I just laced, and keeping tension on it, pull tight the next hole. This always tightened the previous hole perfectly (so the edges of the wrap touched). Little more time consuming, but a superb finish. Too bad I discovered this technique after I was 1/3 done.


Hope I have been able to provide some insight.


-Kevin
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top