Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to Y'all.
I just joined the forum. I'm currently a Ford Junkstar owner and am suffering from serious regret. (80,000 miles on 95 Windstar that has suffered every nightmare known to that so-called vehicle; running on 3rd transmission, 2nd 3.8 liter engine, etc.....)

Now that that's off my chest, let me get to my point. I'm planning to buy a 2002 EX, but I've not decided on leather or cloth interior.

My impressions of leather upholstery are: hot & sticky in summer; cold and stiff in winter.

I know that leather resists stains, but children aren't a factor for us, so I'm wondering if there are any other advantages.

Would appreciate any opinions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually, the leather really isn't too bad in the summer unless you get a dark color like in my truck (almost black). Gray , Tan , Ivory are all rather "cool" colors so to speak.

In the winter when you kick on those "seat warmers" you'll absolutely love it!!! The seats are nice and toasty in a few miles, sometimes before the heater is warming the surrounding air...

If money is no object, then the $1500 is well spent. It is very durable, and resists just about anything you throw at it. Compare a 3 year old Carhart coat (darn good canvas coat) and a 3 year old leather coat and tell me what you think?!?!

Yes it is expensive, and yes I have 3 young kids (so my opinion is swayed), but leahter is a fine option. I would have bought a '00 Odessey if leather was an option that year with DVD, but I ended up with an Olds Sil. Premiere instead. Now that I can have both in the Honda I made the "buy" last week...

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just got an EX-L (leather for the kid). I grew up on vinyl seats, so cloth was a big bonus when I started buying my own cars. Now that I have leather I like it. No more mystery fast food stains ten years later :) The leather also makes for a seat that's almost too comfortable....

The EX-L comes with seat heaters, so winter shouldn't be an issue (especially if your winters are like our South Carolina winters). I've never really heard any complaints about leather in the summer.

tg.

------------------
2002 SS EX-L
1998 VW Jetta TDi

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NomoreFords:
...cold and stiff in winter.</font>
It hasn't been that cold here yet (i.e., below freezing at night, above during the day) compared to what we're expecting in the next couple of weeks, but the leather on our '02 Ody is much more supple than the leather on one of our other older vehicles.

I think that the tannery chemists and process engineers are doing their jobs by creating improved leather.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
131 Posts
Plus "No more static shocks"!!!

------------------

·
Registered
9 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NomoreFords:
...I'm currently a Ford Junkstar owner and am suffering from serious regret. (80,000 miles on 95 Windstar that has suffered every nightmare known ...Would appreciate any opinions.</font>
I am also enduring the 95 Windstar, having suffered headgasket failure twice, etc.
So frustrated by Ford corporate and local dealer that I went back to Honda and bought an 02 Odyssey EXL-RES. We have kids and the RES was a determining factor, so the leather was a bonus. We really like the leather. It is much more comfortable than the cloth seats in our Windstar. The EX has heated front seats, too! The leather should also wear better and it will be easier to keep clean. We still have the Windstar and everytime we switch vehicles we are reminded of how much better the Odyssey feels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just went through the same process. I initially thought the leather would be best for the ease of cleaning etc. However I ultimately decided on the cloth. I believe that cloth looks better in the long run and is more comfortable in daily use. I have leather in my Miata (40,000) and take good care of it but it does show wear. My 95 Accord with ivory cloth still looked great at 130,000.

Just thought I would confuse the issue with a vote for cloth! Good luck on your decision. I believe that you will be happy with either.

Dick
2002 EX TW

·
Registered
185 Posts
The majority of people who think leather is uncomfortable are people who have experience with badly treated cheap leather. The leather in my EX-L is neither. (An exception being the tiniwinibikini crowd. Cloth is better than hot leather on bare legs.)

I've been spending $0.02 a lot of places today.

------------------
dMax
'02 GG EX-L w/fog lights

·
Registered
197 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shaners:
Plus "No more static shocks"!!!

</font>
That's right!!! I've gota change my order now. That could be worth the extra $1,500.

·
Registered
197 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by repeters:
I just went through the same process. I initially thought the leather would be best for the ease of cleaning etc. However I ultimately decided on the cloth. I believe that cloth looks better in the long run and is more comfortable in daily use. I have leather in my Miata (40,000) and take good care of it but it does show wear. My 95 Accord with ivory cloth still looked great at 130,000.

Just thought I would confuse the issue with a vote for cloth! Good luck on your decision. I believe that you will be happy with either.

Dick
2002 EX TW

</font>
I concur. My '91 Sentra with grey/blue something cloth survived tranporting an infant for a year. I rented one of those professional carpet cleaners from a professional supply (not a grocery) and I was amazed how much more blue was visible after I cleaned the seats. The drivers seat doesn't look anymore worn that the rears (they are rarely used).

I think the '91 nissan cloth has lasted very well, even with 8 years of parking outside in the sun. We don't have a garage or carport.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We went for the cloth. There were two used Odys on the lot when we went looking, one cloth, one aftermarket leather. The leather had some stains, the "mousefur" looked brand new even though the carpet looked pretty used. Pretty much answered our concerns for the longevity of the cloth. However, I still don't let the kids drink Sunkist orange.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The "mouse fur" gets my vote....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
261 Posts
speaking from a "mouse fur" owner's standpoint...I would rather have the leather. There goes the saying, "grass is always greener on the other side"

Leather:
+ no static shocks
+ classy
+ easy to clean and maintain
- slippery
- boils your nuts on summer / freezes your butt on winter
- stain magnet (easier to expose stains on leather than mouse fur)

Mouse fur:
+ warm on winter / cool on summer
+ Holds you in place (less slippery)
- Static, static and static shocks
- smells after some while

blah blah blah among others...

------------------

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, after several days, the opinions seem pretty well split near 50/50. Thanks very much

We went for a test drive yesterday in an EX-Cloth with RES and were very impressed. The salesman said the dealership can install leather seats on a factory-delivered Ody with cloth. Have any of you heard that before? I was surprised to see an EX-C with RES in stock. I assumed that any Ody with RES or NAV would be delivered in leather.

Anyway, I'm leaning now to cloth; 1st, because we don't have children, and 2nd, because we will be having a wheelchair lift installed in the rear and that will render the rear seat and seatwell useless. Almost like throwing away $500. Thought we could use the $1500 for something more important and/or practical like fog lights and extended warranty, etc.

Thanks again.

Thank you very much for your comments and opinions; they were very helpful.

[This message has been edited by NomoreFords (edited 12-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
We really like the front seat heaters that go with factory leather.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the RES can be dealer installed in any Ody if you want to pay for it.

Classic Soft Trim (ClassicSoftTrim.com) used to do all the aftermarket leather work in the Ody's before Honda saw the need to make it a factory option. I think they could do it for $1500 or less. They will negotiate just like a dealer will... check out their website.

------------------

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just checked out classic soft trims site and they are having a special for $1099 for the Ody. I'm sure you could probably knock-off 20% more for not having the rear bench done...

I've seen their work and it is every bit as good as factory, and on some models I think it is better...

------------------

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">We went for a test drive yesterday in an EX-Cloth with RES</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think the RES can be dealer installed in any Ody if you want to pay for it.</font>
Just to dispel any confusion:

RES, the rear entertainment system, is a specific factory-installed piece--available *only* on EXL models, and available only as a factory-installed piece.

There's a different beast, called I-VES, which is a dealer add-on and isn't installed at the factory at all. In-Vehicle Entertainment System. It's an ugly wart of an add-on that uses a VHS tape player instead of the in-dash DVD player.

Also be aware that the Honda factory RES uses a special head unit with both CD and cassette and integrated front/rear controls.

So no, you didn't test drive an EX with cloth and RES (unless someone replaced the factory-original leather with cloth, a situation I'd run like hell from). And no, you can't add RES to a non-RES unit, not without serious work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just picked up my ggEX on Friday. Wanted the RES but not the leather, so have to install aftermarket products later. Have had an AccordSE since 1991 with black leather...too hot in the summer...can't wear shorts, have to put a towel on it for at least 5 months.. we have 9 months of summer here in Houston. Seats too cold in January too. Wanted a silver Accord and 1991 only SE was silver.. Don't want any more leather seats.

BTW, Honda's leather is very good. No wrinkle or scratch on my Accord after 10 years......even though some people had said 10 years ago that its leather looked too much like plastic.........all those Lexus and other luxury cars made 10 years ago with leather all have so much wrinkle and scratch after a few years

------------------
2002 OdyEX
1991 AccSE

1 - 20 of 33 Posts