1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over the 2002 Ody catalog today and they didn`t mention anything
on the leather steering wheel.

The interior picture of the EXL also
didn`t have a leather wrapped steering wheel.

Anybody know if it`s included in the
leather package? or do you have to get one
as an accessory?

Please kindly advise.

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KuG:
I was looking over the 2002 Ody catalog today and they didn`t mention anything
on the leather steering wheel.

The interior picture of the EXL also
didn`t have a leather wrapped steering wheel.

Anybody know if it`s included in the
leather package? or do you have to get one
as an accessory?

Please kindly advise.
</font>
I remember someone mentioning that they confirmed it w/ Trevor (Handa) that the accessory Wood trim steering wheel from the 99-01s will be carried over to the 02 accessories. Although I'm a bit curious to see how the new airbag design will fit on the current steering wheel hub.

Or you could also get the accessories leather cover.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
78 Posts
Saw an 02 EXL yesterday. It definitely did NOT have a leather wrapped steering wheel.

We've got one on order and I was disappointed, to say the least. It's almost like they forgot...

·
Registered
122 Posts
KuG and Nemogira,
Saw the SS EXL-RES.
No leather steering wheel.
The wood is being carried over to 2002.
I was the one who spoke to Trevor.

The TL wheel swap will work. Air is curved b/c of Emblem. Same size as 2001.
I brought my TL wheel with me.
Since I am pulling it off my 2001 for my 2002, when I get my van in Oct. I will swap out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the confirmation guys.
What a disappointment !

You would think that Honda would include it
in the leather package...

I guess I'll have to get one as an accessory.
Is it easy to install? or should I have the
dealer install it for me?

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you understand mods like these guys, di it yourself.

I had the dealer do it. Max $75.00. I am nervous about airbag

·
Registered
564 Posts
Installing a Wheelskin yourself is pretty easy. It just takes some time to make it look good. I've probably done ten. My best advice: wear gloves. Pulling the thread through will destroy your hands.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
564 Posts
The wheel is supposed to be thicker, so the cover may be different. If it is only 1/8" thicker or so, the same skin will fit, I'm sure.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am very happy with my Wheelskins. It feels and looks great, but they do take a bit of effort while installing to make them look good.

I don't think the end product feels nearly as good as the TL wheel, but IMO mine looks 100X better because of the two tone colour combo.

Check it out in my album in the Gallery section.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I will probably end up ordering the Honda skin just so I don't have the unused holes at the spokes. I just put a Wheelskin on the Civic. I like it fine, but wish those extra holes weren't there.

-d

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDakRT:
... I don't think the end product feels nearly as good as the TL wheel, but IMO mine looks 100X better because of the two tone colour combo.</font>
This is a subjective area. I had the Honda cover on my Ody until I replaced the wheel with one from an Acura (a pretty easy mod IF you have a wheel puller and once you get over the scare of working with the airbag). No doubt, the "real" leather wheel looks better. I actually prefer the feel of the add-on cover. It's a little larger in diameter (two thicknesses of leather) and has a more resilient feel, which I enjoy.

Mel

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
DDakRT,

Yep, subjective, YMMV, etc. The differences between a leather wheel and a leather wrapped wheel aren't enough to get worked up about. Now the differences between the standard wheel and one containing leather, that's another story.

Mel

·
Registered
564 Posts
DDakRT -

I've put on probably ten Wheelskins myself, so I'm pretty handy at it, and I too use all the holes (much like you did). However, I still don't like them there, even if they do have thread poking out of them.

I have to weigh the higher expense and zero color choice against seeing those holes.

- Darell

------------------

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've done a few leather wheels too...
(BTW I hate the extra holes, too)
I did a red cross stitch on a black leather Porsche 911 replacement, not a cover, that was awesome, but I found using gloves rather cumbersome, so I use a curved-nose pliers, which worked great!
I also corded a VW bus steering wheel, continuously wrapped, ala '30's Indy car wheel. It was great, but I had a few rope burns from it, too. Sailors will understand...
Has anyone gone with the wood and leather wheel? Just curious...
I'll probably go Honda cover myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts