Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after only 4550 miles, my 2010 Odyssey caught fire doing 75 MPH, luckily I was able to get out the rear, after a rapid stop, as the whole front, underside, including the front doors, was completely engulfed in flames. That being the case I can't take the chance it could occur again, & I will be buying a different brand. I attached a few photos of what was left. Thanks to everyone, I feel lucky to be alive. Dash.jpg

Hhonda rear.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Glad that you guys made it out alright. Please do post the reason why it happened.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Scary. I can't imagine what would happen if my kids were sleeping in the back.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Glad to hear you made it out safely.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't you van a highly modified VMI wheelchair conversion model? Also with aftermarket audio & nav systems installed? Not saying any of this was the cause of the fire, but I justed wanted people reading this thread to understand this particular Ody was heavily modified and far from stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad to hear you made it out safely.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't you van a highly modified VMI wheelchair conversion model? Also with aftermarket audio & nav systems installed? Not saying any of this was the cause of the fire, but I justed wanted people reading this thread to understand this particular Ody was heavily modified and far from stock.
You are implying these modifications were the cause.
1. There are hundreds of VMI conversions out there. A quick web search reveals no recalls for the Honda conversion. Honda Odyssey Northstar Conversion For Easy Wheelchair Use - Automotive.com Blogs

“The agreement between Honda and VMI extends the reach of Honda, making Honda derived vehicles more accessible to more customers than ever before,” said John Watts, Honda product planning manager. “Honda is a mobility company at its core, and offering wheelchair accessibility is consistent with our philosophy.”

I guess you are also implying honda wasn't involved in the conversion process?

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Not saying any of this was the cause of the fire,
Reading comprehension anyone? I'm certainly NOT implying these modifications were the cause of the fire.....I'm implying the COULD have been the cause of the fire.

Not sure where you got this gem from? It could have been a faulty Honda design or construction that led to this fire....or it could have been a faulty conversion performed by VMI, Honda or whoever is responsible for the physical conversion. Hell, it could have been the OPs responsibility for wiring up an aftermarket conversion incorrectly. Too many unknown factors at play here. I hope the OP does update us with the root cause of the fire.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. There are hundreds of VMI conversions out there. A quick web search reveals no recalls for the Honda conversion. Honda Odyssey Northstar Conversion For Easy Wheelchair Use - Automotive.com Blogs

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

No, this is not what he's implying. I believe it's important to understand all the factors which may contribute to its cause. It's a significant enough of a modification from stock that it warrants consideration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reading comprehension anyone? .

wasn't you van a highly modified VMI wheelchair conversion model?
Also with aftermarket audio & nav systems installed?
I justed wanted people reading this thread to understand this particular Ody was heavily modified and far from stock.
I will practice my reading comprehension skills and get back to you, not that I'm saying anything bad about you or anything.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I will practice my reading comprehension skills and get back to you, not that I'm saying anything bad about you or anything.
Thank you for proving my point. You quoted two QUESTIONS I posed, then suggest I am claiming the modifications were the cause? Talk about a leap....

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thank goodness you were able to get out unscathed, what a horrible experience. It's amazing that investigators can look at a totally flamed out vehicle like this and begin to determine the cause.

OTOH, it's not like we're talking about the 73-88 Chev pickup outboard fuel tanks, or the Pinto, or the F150's with the constant hot cruise cancel switch, or the Aerostars, etc. with faulty ignition switches, or the like. If there were any initial design flaws of this nature, it'd certainly be well documented in the last 6 years, don't you think?

Suffice it to say, correlation isn't necessarily causation, but any item that requires the amount of amps the VMI unit does would require extra attention in the investigation. I've spent some time in/around/under a chair conversion van (Chrysler T & C) and it's a *huge* undertaking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure of the cause yet, it more then likely fuel related as to the rapid spread, and extent of the fire. But getting back to VMI which this was a conversion by them, it is of my opinion, from the quality of the work on my van nothing would suprise me, never could get the ramp working right, I finally had a rope tied to it so I could pull it up, as it would up, or down without assisstance. Trim pieces had clips missing and were always coming loose, the floor creaked, and when it was removed they had a piece of 1-1/4 square stock cut about 3 inches that just sat under the floor for support nothing attached to it, or was it secured, so I guess that could be some of the rattling that always occured when going down the highway. Next time it'll be a Braun for sure, and a different dealer, after all 5 times they tried to repair the ramp, and never could, along with other items I'm running out of room.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
When you quote someone, you quote the WHOLE sentence like so:

Not saying any of this was the cause of the fire, but I justed wanted people reading this thread to understand this particular Ody was heavily modified and far from stock.
I underlined the most important part for you to assist you in the practicing of your comprehension skills

:D :D :D

He he. Couldn't resist this one coz you left out the most important part to prove your incorrect point.
God Bless to you too.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
When you quote someone, you quote the WHOLE sentence like so:

I underlined the most important part for you to assist you in the practicing of your comprehension skills

:D :D :D

He he. Couldn't resist this one coz you left out the most important part to prove your incorrect point.
God Bless to you too.
Thank you so very much. Have a wonderful day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts