Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2002 Odyssey for about 4 years. Best drive overall that I have ever found for the price ($800). I have already put over 200K on it and have been rear ended twice in Atlanta. I repaired each for under $200 from a pull your own yard and my own labor. It looks like new (almost).
I am considering upgrading to LED headlamps after seeing a Gen 2 with them yesterday.
Wondering if anyone out there has tried them. Are they worth the effort. Which are good enough or best. The price range and styles are many.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got some DDM HID kits 5 years ago. They are night and day difference. It was only $50 to boot. Still using them today.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can anyone give some specifics for an O2 EXL Navi for good LED headlights and possibly other lights with no modification needed?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have had my 2002 Odyssey for about 4 years. Best drive overall that I have ever found for the price ($800). I have already put over 200K on it and have been rear ended twice in Atlanta. I repaired each for under $200 from a pull your own yard and my own labor. It looks like new (almost).
I am considering upgrading to LED headlamps after seeing a Gen 2 with them yesterday.
Wondering if anyone out there has tried them. Are they worth the effort. Which are good enough or best. The price range and styles are many.
Any thoughts?
There are a lot of options on the market like you stated and a lot of them put light where you don't want it and can be distracting to on coming drivers. To do it properly you really need to install LED projectors but that is a whole lot of work though it took less time then I had anticipated when I installed my HID kit. During my extensive research for headlight upgrades I ran across two pieces of information that apply to your situation. 1) LED's run cooler and in cold climates may not melt off the build up of snow or ice and 2) Many don't work well with halogen housings.

The LED headlights I had settled on before deciding to just install HID projects are the Morimoto 2stroke LED headlight bulbs. They are highly rated, made by a reputable and respected company, and put the light where you want it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I looked them up and ratings were all over the place - primarily in regard to fit issues. They also cost about twice what others cost (well over $100).

On a side note, I noticed that you had added an ATF cooler and a Magnefine. We did so after our original trannie died just after the 7 year warranty expired.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked them up and ratings were all over the place - primarily in regard to fit issues. They also cost about twice what others cost (well over $100).

On a side note, I noticed that you had added an ATF cooler and a Magnefine. We did so after our original trannie died just after the 7 year warranty expired.
Thanks for looking that up. Part of the problem that I am having is the range of prices, Lumen output and the styles. One thing that I have been able to find the information on style. The double sided led lamps are supposedly what I want. Any lamps with leds on 3 or four sides will not focus light onto the reflectors correctly and the spread will be all over the place.
On the other note, yes, we have been very happy with the ATF cooler and the Magnefine filter. We also did a complete replacement of the ATF with full synthetic. Full synthetic has a much higher flash point and will not overheat like the standard ATF. 200K miles and counting with no problems......so far.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I talked to my mechanic about LED's and he got this look on his face - more or less he feels that they're not ready for prime time and that it's hard to shoehorn them into older cars. An attitude I've seen many times.

In regards to the trannie, even ignoring design problems, a good cooler and a filter like the Magnefine, combined with annual drain and fill clearly makes a huge difference. Makes me wonder whether what Honda had dealers do was intended to help them wear out just after warranty expiration, when just adding filtration, a good cooler and anual fluid replacement would have greatly increased trannie life span. FYI, mine, yesterday, lost the D light, and won't let you go into D1-D3. We'll get it checked out tomorrow, but there's a chance it's a linkage related problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look for bulbs that are adjustable. The collar rotates and some of them you can change the length....(chip position)….I bought some Sealights and they were adjustable. Been in the car for over 2 yrs and no complaints from other drivers.... "adjustable focal length".

·
Registered
13 Posts
I second the Sealights. Only LEDs that are DOT compliant. Just remember to adjust your headlight housings to point down so you are not blinding on-coming cars.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We also did a complete replacement of the ATF with full synthetic. Full synthetic has a much higher flash point and will not overheat like the standard ATF.
Which full synthetic did you use... brand... type?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Are you replacing the entire lamp assembly or just the bulbs. If just the bulbs, I would say don't do it. The reflector in the light only works as designed when you use the type of bulb it was designed for. Most of the so called upgrade kits that only replace a bulb are all garbage. Stay away.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Are you replacing the entire lamp assembly or just the bulbs. If just the bulbs, I would say don't do it. The reflector in the light only works as designed when you use the type of bulb it was designed for. Most of the so called upgrade kits that only replace a bulb are all garbage. Stay away.
I've heard the same story too. Which is why, on my 2001, I will not use LED's. The reflector is crucial. Also, heard,
replacement lens, the "outside" looks great. But the "lens reflector,internals", are crap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which full synthetic did you use... brand... type?
There are several very long threads on this subject.
After reading through them, I chose the Valvoline Full Synthetic. Not the Synthetic Blend. It has served my 2001 and 2002 Odys well for about 200K each over the original mileage when we bought them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I bought head lamp assembly on ebay for a very low price.. it was a perfect fit. I also bought LED lamps on amazon.
One major issue is that I am getting drivers from the oncoming traffic flick high beam on me. I wish there was some way I can adjust the throw of the light downward by a few degrees. I could do it by turning it 180 degrees during installation but even at that position, It might be too high.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
I wish there was some way I can adjust the throw of the light downward by a few degrees.
Doesn't the headlamp housing have a light beam adjustment mechanism?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had some small LED bulbs lying around that would fit my license plate bulb and when I put them on, it looked awesome so I started surfing eBay for some cheap LED plug and play headlight bulbs to complete the look of the van at night, and came across some nice 8000K LEDs for less than 20 bucks. I am still waiting for them to arrive, I hope they are not too bright for oncoming traffic, but am sure that they will look very cool, will probably post a pic once I install them. Let me know if there is some way to adjust the headlight because I may have to do that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
For headlights I would recommend either MicroEvolution or Micro Extreme by VLEDS. Not cheap, but literally the best on the market.
Build quality and light output are impressive and they're plug and play. No resistors or anything.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I had some small LED bulbs lying around that would fit my license plate bulb and when I put them on, it looked awesome so I started surfing eBay for some cheap LED plug and play headlight bulbs to complete the look of the van at night, and came across some nice 8000K LEDs for less than 20 bucks. I am still waiting for them to arrive, I hope they are not too bright for oncoming traffic, but am sure that they will look very cool, will probably post a pic once I install them. Let me know if there is some way to adjust the headlight because I may have to do that.
Lumens actually decrease at 8000K here is a link color temperature vs lumens. Another reported downside to LED is for those of use in northern climates. I have read that they don't put off as much heat and may not melt ice or snow or keep ice and snow from building up on the headlights. I don't have any first hand experience with this but I know some brands have heated headlights for their models with LEDs.

rman
The stock headlight assemblies have adjusters as I adjusted mine earlier this year after installing my HID retrofit kit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts