Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to remove and replace left front knuckle, while trying to remove the axle nut (transmission in park, wheel off and front on jack stand), something in the left drive shaft "clicked" and the drive shaft then freely rotated. I was using a breaker bar, but not pulling exceedingly hard on it, in fact I had to remount the wheel and put the tire back on the ground to free the axle nut.

After re-installing the knuckle and axle nut, with the front back on jack stand, motor running, I put the tranny in both drive and reverse - right side axle is spinning as expected, left side is not..

When I rotate the hub/disc by hand, the axle turns....

Not sure where to look from the problem on the left side, any help appreciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after a little more research, appears I don't have a problem, just experiencing the effects of an open differential - once the wheels were back on and the car on the ground, all seems normal

·
Registered
22 Posts
You Jumped the shark! Alway break loose and tighten/torque with the tire on the ground. No harm will occur if the axle shaft is loosened with the tire on the ground and then you lift vehicle up for the jack stand. I even break loose lug nuts a half turn so they are easier to deal with.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You Jumped the shark! Alway break loose and tighten/torque with the tire on the ground. No harm will occur if the axle shaft is loosened with the tire on the ground and then you lift vehicle up for the jack stand. I even break loose lug nuts a half turn so they are easier to deal with.
That's exactly what i was going to say. I would be careful of staring the motor with wheels off the ground.

Glad all is well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts