Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone hit me from behind and the lower part of the liftgate is dented. The bodyshop told me that it can be replaced or repaired. Its marginal.

The bodyshop recommended to replace the liftgate (of course, more money for them :)). However, I am a little worried that they basically needs to take everything on the liftgate apart, including the glass, and re-assemble them together. I am not sure about the quality of work and paint job.

On the other hand, if I chose to repair it, will the final job look good and last long? My Odyssey is still new (2009). I plan to own the car for the next 10 years.

Anyone here has similar experience? Appreciate if you can share your thoughts....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's insurance, not a hit and run. I am judging this from what's good for the car.

I will try to upload a pic...

Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
If the other party insurance will pay, get it replaced. Depending how old you car, they insurance company will probably use remanufactured parts, or they may re-skin the outside. Find out what you are getting first. If the shop repairs it, then they will hammer it out and bondo it. This method solely depends on the skill of the autobody man.

·
Registered
221 Posts
this is what we did when my wife's 4runner was hit when we were at a stop...

we contacted our insurance company, they took the info from me, they told us to bring the 4runner to one of their body shops, we had all repairs done and paid by the other party's insurance (minus our deductible).

if you feel the liftgate needs replacing then talk to the body shop and see if they can make it happen.

good luck!

joel

ps the other insurance company then refunded our deductible.

yukon.denali said:
There's insurance, not a hit and run. I am judging this from what's good for the car.

I will try to upload a pic...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Is this hit and run?

It depends on how bad it is.

Post a picture.

I may show you a dentless technique (using vacuum suction) depending on what it looks like.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the few accidents I have been involved in, the repair shops that I went to warranteed their work for the time I had the vehicle. Just save all of the paperwork. I never had to return for redos. Even if you get a new liftgate, it will need to be painted. So the decision is up to you. If you are really concerned about the quality of work, take it to the dealers body shop. If there is none, maybe the dealer can recommend one for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts