Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for a Q/A on this, but had no luck so I apologize if I did not find it if it exists.

I have a 2002 EX

The rear liftgate latch/striker is not making a good connection to tell the van that it is closed. The interior lights stay on and the dash display says that it is open. I have my interior lights switched off to save the battery. I had the latched adjusted in my service dept. when I was working, but am now at home so I was wondering if there was a repair I could do since it has started making the lights come on again.

It does not rattle and if the vehicle is locked you cannot open it, so seems like most things are working just not enough to tell the car "I'm closed"!

Thanks in advance! I'm very excited to find this forum and I'm already planning to replace my liftgate supports and clock backlight this weekend!!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I would tighten the latch ring on the bottom of the rear hatch on the van again. Make sure the ring is placed all the way towards the front of the van before tightening the Philips screws. See if this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like the door swith is bad. You can disconnect the switch inside the rear hatch at the locking mechanism. This will "fix" your problem, but will keep the light from going on automatically when you open the hatch. It will also prevent the alarm from arming, but it will stilll lock properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
liftgate not latching

I had the same problem. Moving the latch ring forward did not help. While trying to see if the switch on the liftgate latch was defective, I discovered that the lock has two stages. The first closes partway and will not allow the gate to fly open when engaged, but the second, final stage locks the gate and turns off the switch. Though somewhat counterintuitive, moving the latch ring further back allowed the latch to swing to the final locking position. The gate made a tighter fit when closed and the open door light went out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quick question: Is the lift-gate dome/door switch built into the latch? Is this switch used by the security system or is there a separate switch for the security system? Any expert advice is grateful appreciated!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hatch Warning Lamp

Moving the latch ring forward did not help. I discovered that the lock has two stages. The first closes partway and will not allow the gate to fly open when engaged, but the second, final stage locks the gate and turns off the switch. Though somewhat counterintuitive, moving the latch ring further back allowed the latch to swing to the final locking position. The gate made a tighter fit when closed and the open door light went out. Hope this helps.
You're the MAN...moving the latch toward the rear apparently engaged the circuit and the lamp went out when starting the car.
This happened when the hatch lift struts failed after 10 ten years of service. The Stabilus struts installed in ~15 minutes, 1st time.
Thanks again.
Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem for a new 2012 EX bought today :-(

I had the same problem. Moving the latch ring forward did not help. While trying to see if the switch on the liftgate latch was defective, I discovered that the lock has two stages. The first closes partway and will not allow the gate to fly open when engaged, but the second, final stage locks the gate and turns off the switch. Though somewhat counterintuitive, moving the latch ring further back allowed the latch to swing to the final locking position. The gate made a tighter fit when closed and the open door light went out. Hope this helps.
Rajioka01, thank you for the advice. I got the same problem today for a new EX just bought.

Did I close the liftgate/hatch too hard after very first opening at home :-( !!!? Or is this the quality of original installation ? Look like I need to close the liftgate more gently (EX, manual tailgate). Any additional suggestion or advice ?

I will give a try and if could not handle it, will bring it back to Service Department.

Great forum and really enjoy it. Thank you all.

egao

Ody EX class 12 (mileage=46)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had this same problem and came here to the forums in hopes of a solution. Thank goodness I did as this solution solved my problem. Many, many thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2008 EX. We had this issue a few years ago, brought to the dealer it was resolved. Don't remember the reason they gave, but in all likelihood it was more technical (Thus not easily done by us - to generate $$). So, when it resurfaced recently I checked out this forum, I saw the postings regarding moving the ring back, which I did. Then that wasn't the problem so I looked further.

Turns out the fix is the handle that you reach for when you open the hatch in the back of the tailgate was not returning to it's original position - thus left the latch in the open position resulting in the latch not closing/holding on the ring. I verified this by pushing the "handled down" and the hatch held closed. I then reached for my handy WD-40 and thoroughly sprayed the handle area and the handle now springs back to the correct position on it's own.

TO SUM IT UP: This fix is as simple as lubricating the handle so it springs back to the correct position after opening the tailgate. As a workaround before you do this you can push it down after opening the tailgate until lubricating (Or having it replaced if lubricating doesn't fix it).

Great forum, if I didn't see the suggestion of moving the ring back I may not have stumbled upon the real root cause problem in my situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts