Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 liftgate won't close all the way. I've adjusted the striker by moving it forward as far as possible. The gate does latch, but will not fully close. What gives?

·
Registered
991 Posts
The latch is a two stage system when working properly. During the first stage the lock mechanism catches meaning you can still move the lift gate back and forth slightly. The second stage (if the lift gate is pressed on harder) actually latches the door close ie. you can't move it back and forth. I had issues with mine catching but not latching. Each time this would occur I would clean the latch with brake clean and lube with white lithium grease and it would work for a period of time. I finally got tired of doing this song and dance and purchased a whole new latch assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the panel, and noticed that the latch mechanism was loose. Then I seen that both screws were stripped and fell out. Went to a local U-PULLIT and getting 2 from a junked one, problem solved and is as good as new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I removed the panel, and noticed that the latch mechanism was loose. Then I seen that both screws were stripped and fell out. Went to a local U-PULLIT and getting 2 from a junked one, problem solved and is as good as new.
Any pictures you can share will help me and others. Thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Did you try the "Insert image" icon when you compose your post? Here's a pic! (My mouse pointer is pointing to it!) 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts