Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '01 LX which Honda cheaped out in a few places on compared to the EX, one of which is no light for the center console dumpster. Anyone know how difficult it would be to install one for an EX in there, and pricing on the parts?

Scott

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
While I haven't looked in this are, it probably would be pretty simple. The light doesn't use a switch, it's either always on (with accessories), or part of a light circuit.

Instead of spending money on incandescent lights, like Honda did, I think you could get better results, quite possibly cheaper, by using LEDs. A couple of white or yellow (or red or green, if you're feeling more creative or Christmassy (Christmassy?, you get the idea)) LEDs should do the job nicely, draw only about 20ma (up to about 6 of 'em can be wired in series without drawing any additional current), and produce virtually no heat. And, the LED's will never burnout.

One easy way to mount them would be to simply drill holes in the back top edge of the compartment, near the top and push the LEDs in from the backside with a force fit. A "drop" of glue should make the installation permanent.

I'm planning a similar installation in the glove compartment but with the LEDs mounted on a bracket above the latch.

Mel

·
Registered
122 Posts
The center box light is switched. I just pulled the entire unit out. It should be easy to upgrade. call trevor at h and a for the parts.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Rollie66, Thanks for the correction. I didn't see a switch in the usual locations so I assumed (dumb me
) that there wasn't one.

Nevertheless, a string (say 2-5) LEDs in series at 20 ma (for the whole string, since they're in series) should light things up pretty good. The current draw, and heat, would be darn close to negligible and could be tapped from the *switched* power accessory outlet wires.

Mel

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2000 LX and was also bummed I didn't have a light in the console. I just finished rewireing the accessory outlet below it so that it's always hot. Thanks Chuck!

I snipped the original switched hot wire going to the accessory outlet and capped it off since I have a new wire running from the passenger side fuse box. The old switched wire would be ideal for a little light mod for the cosole box.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i added a 4" green neon tube to my centre console box and my glove box, both of which will turn off via a magnetic reed switch connected to each door. the green light is not too bright so it will not bother you driving at night.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
fordsdad,

Could you post pictures, especially for the reed switch in the glove box?

TIA, Mel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts