Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Ody, just bought in Dec. '10, with electrical problems. First the instrument panel lighting was out. Now the taillights have quit. Not certain because I'm working on it outside on a sunny day, but I think the high beams are not working either. Parking light setting does not work either.

I cannot find any blown fuses. I searched on here and could not find anything for certain. Have seen the posts about coins in the CD player, but can't see anything inside without removing the player, and as mentioned above, no blown fuses found.

I suspect the headlight switch, which of course is on the turn signal. Anyone had a similar problem, or ever replaced that switch?

Have had a '95 Ody for a couple of years, with no electrical problems on it. Kind of scratching my head now. Have a Chilton manual, but the wiring diagrams are just schematics, and sparse on detail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cd player

Just to clarify, our CD unit is the el cheapo single disc player, not the changer. It does seem to work, although my wife misses the extra cubbyhole where it sits, she used to keep her work stuff in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed

Well, most of the problem is fixed, thanks to a parts guy at one of the local dealers. I called about getting a headlight switch; he said he could have one the next day, but to try one more thing (he said he's been working on Hondas for about 30 years). So on his advice I took out all the fuses that seem to have anything to do with lighting, (checked them with a digital VOM and they are were good, supposedly) and put in brand new fuses of the same size. Got the taillights and parking lights and high beams back. Still no instrument cluster lights. I'm going to call the same guy and get his idea on that problem.

I've driven older cars for years--haven't bought a new car since 1985--and have generally got rid of anything over 20 years old because the wiring gets funky around that age. But this Ody is a good ways short of age twenty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts