Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I asked the question of how one determined if the switch for the sun roof was lighted and if so how one changed the light bulb. Unfortunately no one had the answer. I do now.
I stopped by the local Honda dealership and asked the parts person if the switch was supposed to be lighted in my 2007 Odessey EX-L Navi.
After determining that my switch was on the left hand side of my dashboard and not overhead I was informed that it was a lighted switch. I discovered how to change the bulb and it really is quite easy.
I thought I was going to have to take the entire dash face plate apart in order to accomplish my task but not so. All one has to do is use a pocket screwdriver or in my case Old Timer pocket knife, insert the blade at the top of the switch edge and gently pry back and upward. In other words, insert blade and gently press your tool back towards the A/C vent. The switch pops up easily.
Once it is up unplug the wiring harness then using a small screwdriver remove the small slotted screw-like opening in the side of the switch. Inside there is a tiny (and I do mean tiny), light bulb. Determine if it is blue or clear. If it is blue like mine gently remove covering from around the blub saving for the new bulb. Sometimes the blue cover has melted on the bulb rendering it impossible to remove. In this case you have to buy a new cover. The parts person used a razor blade to separate my cover by edging the bottom of the bulb near the top of the housing and peeled it off with his thumb nail.
The new bulb cost me $2.65 including tax. Not too bad in my opinion.
They do sell more expensive bulbs that are already blue with no cover but those are around $9.00 and change. I have no idea how much a new blue cover would have been.
At any rate he told me to plug the switch back in before re-installing the unit to make sure the new bulb worked.
*note: It is VERY hard to tell in the daylight however if you can encircle the switch with your hand and rotate it just right you can figure it out. In my case the light worked.
I simply popped the switch back in place and now have a working lighted switch. Oh happy days.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice write up for a first post Chief! Welcome to the club :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts