Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few observations. I've seen several dealer inventory lists this week that don't have nearly as many Odys showing "claimed" compared to what we saw when first looking in November. Those marked as sold are mostly with leather w/RES or NAVI.

Also, the typical price around here seems to be $500 off MSRP--some tell you right away, some don't. Almost none force options on you either. I'm thinking it may get even softer than the $500 off too. One salesperson mentioned a "sale" starting next week, but I'm guessing the new little salesgirl had her facts askew. And what's a car dealership "sale" anyway? Isn't that an oxymoron?

One last tidbit. I looked at a couple of vans being prepped and noticed they're still coming from Canada (build dates in December even). One salesperson seemed to think the Alabama production would increase availability but that's not what I'm reading on this site from those who seem to know.

I absolutely trust this group more than the supposed "experts" who sell these things. Geez, what do they DO all day? Couldn't they spend some of their downtime actually learning the features of the cars they sell? I mean, it's usually only one brand per dealer--it's not like they have to learn about the Acuras too. Sorry, sidebar rant.

------------------
'02 MB EX-L w/RES ordered 11/17, due Jan ??
'97 Accord LX (hubby's)
'93 Accord 10th Anniv (mine-wanna buy it? 82K miles)
'83 Accord DX (RIP)
'66 Mustang w/deluxe seats (owned'77-83)

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ellemeno:
Geez, what do they DO all day? Couldn't they spend some of their downtime actually learning the features of the cars they sell? I mean, it's usually only one brand per dealer--it's not like they have to learn about the Acuras too. Sorry, sidebar rant.

</font>
What DO they do all day, I mean besides stalking customers? How can it be that people like us can keep our own lives in order AND know so much more about a vehicle than the sales person? It's their freaking job to know these cars, and it often seems like they can describe a generic car, but not the actual one you're interested in. Colors? Options? Well, we'll have to look on the brochure. The more you know as a customer, the more you know how much they DON'T know. I'm telling you - it just can't be that hard. When I went in to order my 2002 Ody, I had to show them what the MSRP was - they still hadn't officially heard the news that had been on the internet for 24 hours.

I was about to say "don't even get me started" but I realize it's a bit late for that now!

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 12-22-2001).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think there is something to this observation. I placed an order at a dealer last week based on their willingness to sell the EX with only the factory equipment at list with no additional costs. The only drawback for me is the 90 mile drive (Gatton Honda in Bristol, TN). Out of curiosity, I dropped in on my local dealer this past weekend (Appletree in Asheville, NC) only to find out that they would do the same. Only a couple of months ago, the local dealer wanted list + $500 plus they made it clear that if you wanted the vehicle, you would have to accept all the extra packages they saw fit to include.

·
Registered
273 Posts
To ljaywess - Glad you have ordered an '02. I was beginning to think I was the only Ody Club member in the east. I travel to Asheville almost weekly. I live in Powersville in the boonies between Greenville and Easley. My EXL now has 5300 miles and I am very happy with it. I had a '99 EX until Oct. So far both have been fine. If you have questions you can email me at [email protected] Glad to have you on board.

------------------

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gillman honda in San Antonio,Tx. is advertising odys on the lot. Maybe the lists are getting shorter.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Lines for EVERYTHING are shorter these days.

It's the <font size=-5>recession</font>. There just aren't as many people at the movies, in the malls, in the airports, in restaurants, or at work, for that matter.

Our local UPS driver says his deliveries are way off compared to last year this time.

IMHO, the improvement in Ody availability is more related to the economy than to the new factory in Lincoln, Alabama.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I placed an order for a GG EX-L a couple of weeks ago (MSRP +destination). Since then I discovered the OdyClub and developed a case of information overload. I had never seen the NAV unit as the dealer never had one long enough for me to play with it. Finally last weekend I ran into a friend who had just gotten his Ody and he showed off the Nav system. Very impressive indeed. So I begged my wife,pleaded and finally promised her something ( I don't exsactly remember what) but she said fine if you really want it you can order it.

I emailed the saleslady telling her to change my order to a NAV model. I was initially told Feb-March delivery for the EX-L (10-14 weeks). She came back with an offer to keep the same delivery window for a NAV but in SS. My wife really wants the GG so GG it is. Now the delivery window she is offering is pushed to April- May
. That is close to 5 months lead time!( worst case scenario) is that realistic or just some scare tactics to keep me from changing the order? On one hand we have a recession ( demand should go down)and a new plant ( increased supply), that combination should reduce not increase the lead time. Comments and advice welcome. You have agreat board here.

------------------
OdyJoy
02 GG EX-L Nav (on order I think)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
OdyJoy,

Welcome to the OdyClub!

I see you are in Naperville. We're up north, closer to O'Hare.

There are plenty of dealers around the area. I've been to most of them and have not been extremely impressed
. One dealer who left us completely unimpressed is located between you and me.

Maybe worth it to call around and see what you can get sooner. We finally bought from Nora 847-965-7073 at Castle Honda in Morton Grove, and she was pretty straight with us.

It might even be worth it to go a couple of hours outside the area. There have been some good reports on the forum (I can't find them now
) about other dealers outside the metro area.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't know about your area, but 5 months is way too long even though my salesman said most dealer will give you a longer estimate time and will make you feel better when the van comes in earlier. I waited about 2 months for my EXL-NAV of my choice of color to arrive. I hope you check around and compare different dealers, don't let just one dealer to play you around.
I remember before I ordered mine, I e-mail every single Honda dealer around town through the Honda.com for the final drive out price and estimated delivery time so that I can compare and pick 2 dealers to put down deposit. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
I don't know about your area, but 5 months is way too long...</font>
Good point. That's the longest wait I've heard of, besides Havasu Blue

It could be that the particular dealer does not get a very large allocation and wants to push him into something coming in sooner. Or the dealer is playing games - if he can sell a vehicle for over MSRP he'll do it, if he can't, he'll call and say it came in early.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maugham and Lotus18:

Thanks for the insights. I wouldn't mind an early delivery. I don't know if I can get my deposit back as I seem to recall it was non-refundable. That was not a big deal when we were talking a few weeks and pretty much in line with what other dealers promised but now I don't know if I want to wait a whole year just to use the seat warmers

Well that would give me some time to discover all the information gems within odyclub.
Thx and regards

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OdyJoy:
I was initially told Feb-March delivery for the EX-L (10-14 weeks).....My wife really wants the GG so GG it is. Now the delivery window she is offering is pushed to April- May.....</font>
We're NW of O'Hare. My order was written on 10/10. I was quoted MSRP and Feb-March delivery for a GG-RES.

I sincerely hope they're shooting straight in this instance. At the time I placed my order the rep told me that their allocation was about 15 per month and they had around **70** people on their list. After having watched their lot like a hawk, I believe that 15 per month number might be on the high side. Last week, for example, I noticed they received absolutely zero Odys.

I checked out several other dealers and was, well, underwhelmed but, more importantly, I have a relationship with my local dealer and have received excellent service in the past. So, for the time being, I'm going to stick with them.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts