Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the new member section but I doubt it'll get looked at. Here is a repeat:

I just recently got myself a 99 ody LX. My parents have an 03 ody EX and they love it. They have over 200,000 miles on it and have just recently replaced the tranny.

The one that I have some guy did not want to replace the tranny and so we got the title from him. I got a new tranny, and new battery all for $2,700 (installed) including the van. The engine has 103,000 miles when I got it. Its at 104+ now.

The question that I have concerns the DVD. I put it in myself as I followed stuberman's forum, which was of tremendous help. I was able to get a blitz adapter and hook it to the factory radio. This worked for about 10 minutes.
What I get now is all music and very little voice sound from the characters. The actor's/actresses' voices sound so distant but the the music comes through loud and clear.

What is the problem and where should I start.

Not to mention I just broke the outside passenger sliding door handle and the dealer wants 98 dollars for it. Any body know of a better place to purchase a door handle.

Thanks, I am looking forward to any feedback.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It almost sounds like the DVD player is in a surround mode and not stereo. I've seen it on home systems a few times where there ae only stereo speakers and someone turns the reciever to a dolby digital surround setting. The sound track, music, goes to the left and right and the dialog, voices go to the center channel. If you don't have a center channel then all you get is the sound track. Check to see if it is possible to change the surround settings on the player and this might solve the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Greg. I have gone to the DVD and clicked on Stereo and it continues to play out this way. I am thinking of switching the black and red audio cables to see what that does.
Still in a state of Limbo here on this one. I would think that the Blitz adapter went bad as it was working just fine for a few minuted before I lost the voices.
Thanks again and any more advice will help improve my learning experience here.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not familiar with Blitz, but Greg's answer is I think what is going on. Try a few DVD's. If your player has various channels try others. Sounds like you are in 5.1 but missing the center.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wanted to update this as I was given the solution to part of the problem that I was having. This just in case anyone in the furture has this problem. I got some good support from logjam electronics where I got the auxillary input.
This is what they wrote:

"It sounds like a grounding issue. Try running a temporary ground wire from one of the outer shields of one of the RCA connectors to chassis ground. If it is a grounding issue, this should fix it. If it fixes it, then you can make the grounding wire a permanent connection.

The red and white audio connectors on the interface are what is called “RCA” type connectors. These are connectors standard across the audio industry and can usually be found on the back of most home stereos, TVs, DVDs, etc., and are the female style of the RCA connector. The female RCA connectors are designed to have the male type RCA connector slide into them so that a solid physical and electrical connection can be made between audio components.

Each RCA connector is constructed to have two parts; an inner or center conductor, which carries the audio, and is the center pin on the male RCA connector and the center hole on the female RCA connector. The second connector is the ground or shield, which carries the signal ground for the audio, and is the outer circle of metal that is usually divided into 4 sections on the male RCA connector, which slips over the outer metal conductor of the female RCA connector.

It is this outer shield of either RCA connector where the external ground wire we discussed is to be attached. You only need to attach one ground wire to one of the outer shields of the RCA connector because both outer shields are electrically connected internally within the interface to the same point. So a second wire would be redundant. "

But now I am running into static background noise and when I accelerate a "whinning" noise increases. I am not sure how to eliminate this problem yet. Anyone who knows, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Hope that this may help furture forum members. And thanks for those who did try to assist.
Ryan

·
Registered
355 Posts
Glad you got the audio signal problem mostly fixed.

There are generally three ways to try to get rid of engine whine.

1: Ground the shield wire of the RCAs. Since you've just done this obviously it won't work.

2: Install a ground loop isolator or cut the shield wire of the RCAs at the input. Again probably a bad idea since they just had you ground the shield there.

3: Make sure your RCAs and power wires for the device run at least 12-18" away from each other. Also make sure the RCAs run 12-18" away from the vehicles harnesses. If you must cross the power lines or vehicle harness try to do it at a 90* angle so as not to introduce engine noise.

This last one is probably the best to try in your situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really do appreciate the input Greg. I know that I have both the power to the DVD and the RCA cable running parallel to each other down the passenger door. It looks like this weekend I will take out the RCA cable or power and run it down the driver'

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something happened and posted an unfinished reply.
Anyway.
What would be the better way to go. Power to the DVD on the passenger side and RCA down the driver's side or vice versa?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
seahunter said:
Something happened and posted an unfinished reply.
Anyway.
What would be the better way to go. Power to the DVD on the passenger side and RCA down the driver's side or vice versa?

Thanks again.
That's just too much work, you only need to get the RCAs a solid 12-18" away from the power lines to be safe. Before taking it all apart and re-running things I would just temporarily run an RCA from the DVD to the adapter hangin in the air over the seats. If you still have noise then re-running it won't help. Another thought that occured was that you might just need a power line filter on the DVD player. If you have a a spare junk RCA cable you can make some shorting plugs and test where the noise is coming in to the system.

Shorting Plug how to: Cut the RCA near the end and connect the outer shield to the center conductor.

If you disconnect the RCA and plug the shorting plug in to the inputs of the adapter and turn the system on you will be able to see where the noise is coming in to the system. If you still have noise it is coming from the adapter, if it goes away then it is coming from the DVD plaer or the RCAs. If it is coming from the DVD or RCAs then you can plug the RCAs back in to the adapter and un-plug them from the DVD. If the noise stays it's in the RCAs, if it does away it in the DVD player.

If the noise is in the RCAs then try re-routing them. If it's in the DVD then try re-grounding the DVD player to the radio ground or a power line filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again Greg.
I should have mentioned this before, but the RCA cable that I am using is a "regular" one that is probably used for home use.
Should I have gotten an insulated audio cable?

I was also notified by another respondant that my power source to the DVD player may be coming from the cigarette lighter, which he/she thought might explain the increased "whinning" noise upon acceleration.

I do notice that when I shut off the car, the DVD player will keep playing until I open the door(s).

Is the power source coming from the fuse to the interior lights?

If so is this a good place to get the power?

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
355 Posts
seahunter said:
I should have mentioned this before, but the RCA cable that I am using is a "regular" one that is probably used for home use.
Should I have gotten an insulated audio cable?

A twisted pair of RCAs would be best but unless the RCA is the problem it won't make a big difference.

seahunter said:
I do notice that when I shut off the car, the DVD player will keep playing until I open the door(s).

Is the power source coming from the fuse to the interior lights?

If so is this a good place to get the power?

Thanks again all.
If you radio does the same thing them it is possible that the power has been taken from behind the radio. If it doesn't and has been taken from the dome lights that should eb changed as it isn't a good place to draw power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O.K. Here is what I did when I got home from work Friday night.
I got some RCA shielded cables.
1. I unplugged the RCA from the auxillary input in the radio.
2. I unplugged the power to the DVD from a fuse box and unbolted the ground.
3. I took out the above wires/cables which both ran along each other down the passenger side windshield.
I replaced the old RCA cable with the new sheilded RCA cable and ran it down the passenger side. It appears that there are less wires to worry about with the RCA cable interfering with.
4. I ran the power and ground to the drivers side and put the power into the fuse that powers the back up lights (10amp). I bolted the ground to a metal plate that the fuse box attaches to on the driver's side.

Now I am hearing a worse "whinning" noise when I accelerate. The power and the RCA don't even touch each other.

I am at a loss on this. The screws that hold the DVD to the plate are such a pain to put in that I don't want to take it out again. But if I have to, I will.

I did notice that the new RCA cable had three wires. The black and red male ends and a smaller wire. I just black tape at both ends on the small wire thinking that I don't need it. I have no ground on the DVD end unless I put a new hole in the plate for the one end of this small wire.

I saw a noise filter when I got the new RCA cable and wondered about getting one. Maybe I'll have to get one, but the whinning noise is pretty strong and I wonder if the noise filter will work?

1. Where is the best place to get power to the DVD? I took the power wire and twisted the wire and put it into where the fuse goes to the back up light and put the fuse back in to hold the wire in place.

2. Might I need to get a better ground than what I have?

3. If I get a noise filter, I noticed that there were three wires.
a) the power wire and I have no idea where I will get power for this one.
b) a ground and
c) a yellow wire that goes to the Radio. Where am I going to put this yellow wire to the DVD?

Sorry I did not try the advice I was given. I thought it would be too much work. But I guess I ended up doing too much work.
Right now, with what I got, I dont think it is a RCA re-routing issue. I'll have to try a filter, but if any other suggestions are available I would like to hear it.
Thanks again and again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Groung that black wire that is with the RCAs to the DVD ground, it is most likely the sheild ground for the RCA. Without it you generally get engine noise. Actually try grounding it at one end then the other, I'm having a brain lapse right now and can't remember which end to ground, but leave the other end loose. Hopefuly this will help or solve it. Engine whine is a pain to deal with sometimes but it can be solved.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Never ground the shield at both ends as it generates a ground loop which amplifies noise and injects in the wires it is shielding. Ground at the source end only. Try removing the power wires from the unit and run a temporary set directly to the battery and see if that gets rid of the noise. A lot of inexpensive electronic equipmedt does not have the filtering needed in an automobile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts