Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When going with a larger wheel there is less rubber of the tire's sidewall. Does this effect load capacity, towing, et all? I know that there are members that use their Odysseys at full capacity, other than for hauling llamas (pronounced "yamas", like tortilla, sorry had to get that in). Are there any members that have switched and still carry full loads sometimes?

·
1,484 Posts
Well each of my 235/50/18 Michelin tires has a max load of 1,609lbs. That's about 6,436lbs all together. Now the Odyssey (according to Helm) weighs 5,567lbs. That gives me about 869lbs to play with. Not exactly the "best" carrying weight to have but good enough - I suppose.

Ever since I had my wheels/tires swapped there hasn't been a time when I needed to fully load it w/ heavy cargo such as DJ equipment. But we do have a gig coming up in November and I guess we'll see how it really handles the heavy load.

Not only do I have to see how the new wheels/tires holdup but also my H&R springs and the Air Lifts
! But you know what? I still have my stock EX wheels/tires and I'll most likely just swap'em so it won't eat up good tire tread from the 18s.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nestor if your figures are accurate (no reason to doubt) then you have INCREASED your load capacity with the tires. The Michelen Symmetry tires have a load capacity of only 1565lbs. each fo a total of 6260lbs. You can load an extra 176lbs. of cd's for your next gig.
So I guess that the increased pressure in each tire makes up for the lack of larger sidewalls. Thanks for the info!!!!!

Mark

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yep. You have to look at the load capacity of the tires you are buying regardless of the size.

I thought the Odyssey weighed in around 4350lbs Nestor.

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
I thought the Odyssey weighed in around 4350lbs Nestor.

</font>

I'm sorry - you're right. 5,567lbs is the "Gross" weight (wheels/tires included). 4350lbs is the "Curb" weight. So let's see...

6,436lbs (All 4 Pilot Sports' Max Load)
-4,350lbs (Ody Curb weight)
---------
2,086lbs available to carry. Woohoo!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
59 Posts
...and this load question brings me to this. I asked Falken for the correct tire pressure for my wheels mounted on a 2000 ODY and the following is what they said
:

Pedro:

Our Tire Guide shows the original equipment tire size for a 2000
Odessey is
a P215/65R16 Load Index 96, with recommended 35 PSI front and
rear. That
means the tires are being operated at their maximum air pressure
and load
(1,565 lbs). THe vehicle maker specifies this size not only for
the dead
weight of the vehicle, but also to handle any dynamic loading
during
cornering and braking, where individual wheel positions receive
higher
transient loads.

The 235/40R18 size is a 91 Load Index, which cannot carry that
same load at
its maximum rating. We do not recommend that size be used on
this vehicle,
so we cannot give a "correct" pressure.

A proper size would be the 255/45R18 99 Load Index, which is
also the same
27.0" diameter as the original tires.

I've used the wheels for trips down I-95 to Baltimore and through Philly's streets with all my dj equipment, and knock on wood, it's been safe, but if I would've known all this before I bought the tires for the rims...hmmmm?

·
1,484 Posts
Yeah I had the same confusion when I was first prepared to upgrade the wheels & tires. I originally thought: Okay, I'll upgrade to some 18s and get some low profile tires, right? NO. Luckily, Tirerack immediately caught this mistake and told me that the smaller tire I ordered was not recommended for carrying that sort of weight. So after several trips to the Miata Calculator and some brief talks with Randy (Vspecody) I ended getting the 235/50/18 tires.

I don't know what future problems (if any) you will have will the smaller tires. But I do know anything smaller than the original diameter will:

- Throw off the speedometer reading (will read faster than actually going)
- Adds more miles to your Ody than actually traveled
- Increase the gap between fender and wheel

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
596 Posts
I do not know Honda's approach on the tire subject, but, I know someone who had a Neon with tires other than standard diameter and he was refused warranty coverage on the engine since the effective gear ratio had been changed. Just a word to those who might contemplate changing to a diameter much different (especially smaller) than the stock 27". Yes, that was a very lame excuse on the part of the DC dealer, but, who wants to go through the hassle of working something like that out? One other downside to the ultra low profile tires is that it is very easy to damage those expensive alloy wheels with such tires mounted. There is just too much sidewall rigidity, which causes a lot of force to be transferred to the wheel. Watch those potholes and railroad crossings!!!!!

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is slightly off topic, but I guess we all have to decide what compromises we want to make in terms of handling&braking, load capacity, and looks... Most of us know that a much larger wheel diameter/much lower aspect ratio might actually provide lower performance in terms of ultimate traction and load capacity from a stock suspension but we still go that route since we like the "looks". I chose to use wheels that weigh less to reduce unsprung weight and medium performance tires (stock 1997-2001 Prelude wheels with Yokohama AVID V4s) for my Ody so that it will ride well and handle a bit better than stock at a reasonable cost. The car now actually rides smoother and quieter than the stock Firestones and even has a slightly higher load rating of 1709lbs each.
I guess that we should list all of the factors that are important to us and then start from there. Good shopping :=)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts