Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 odyssey, my wiper won't shut off unless I turn engine off,so I bought a relay to try it, and I can't find will its at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What you're looking for is a grey 5 pin relay in that box in the picture. You can take out the relay and the wipers work at medium and high only. I hope someone here has the solution to this problem. I first changed the switch, then the relay. I'm thinking of changing the wiper motor to see if that's the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed it, sorry, it was cold and wet so I couldn't take any pictures, I found the problem for me was the motor. First you have to remove the wiper arms and the plastic trim that covers the bottom half of the windshield, now you don't have to remove the motor but you can if you want. (Its easier if you leave the motor in the car) Take a short #2 Philips head screwdriver and remove the 4 screws holding the black cover on the motor (remove the plug first). now you need a small flathead to pry the motor open. it has some black silicone type glue holding it together or to keep moister out. be sure to put some sealant to keep water out. Now you have a greased gear box with two copper connectors touching the big gear in the middle. That's where it makes contact to complete the circuit so the motor should shut off, but since the contacts don't go down all the wipers keep going non-stop. Now you're going to need a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the middle of the copper contact in the gear box. you need to lift gently the contact bend the contact towards the gear with the pliers. the put some of the extra grease inside over the line where the it makes contact. put back together and viola FIXED. I hope this helps somebody out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks

Fixed it, sorry, it was cold and wet so I couldn't take any pictures, I found the problem for me was the motor. First you have to remove the wiper arms and the plastic trim that covers the bottom half of the windshield, now you don't have to remove the motor but you can if you want. (Its easier if you leave the motor in the car) Take a short #2 Philips head screwdriver and remove the 4 screws holding the black cover on the motor (remove the plug first). now you need a small flathead to pry the motor open. it has some black silicone type glue holding it together or to keep moister out. be sure to put some sealant to keep water out. Now you have a greased gear box with two copper connectors touching the big gear in the middle. That's where it makes contact to complete the circuit so the motor should shut off, but since the contacts don't go down all the wipers keep going non-stop. Now you're going to need a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the middle of the copper contact in the gear box. you need to lift gently the contact bend the contact towards the gear with the pliers. the put some of the extra grease inside over the line where the it makes contact. put back together and viola FIXED. I hope this helps somebody out there.
Thanks for the info..i will do it this weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I had this same problem of the wipers not turning off and intuitively you would think that it would be the switch on the steering column. However, in my case the motor WAS the culprit. I removed the two wiper arms and the plastic cover under the hood. This took about 3 minutes. I think used a phillips to remove the 4 screws to the motor housing while leaving the motor still mounted. After lifting the housing unit and inspecting I found that one of my copper connectors had broken off. In my opinion this was not fixable. So unfortunatley I have to replace the entire motor. After calling around I could not find 2003 Honda Oddyssey in my local junk yard. The best price I could find for a brand new motor was $100. I ended up finding a used part on Ebay for $40. It took me about 20 minutes and I was able to replace the motor using just a socket set. Don't let a garage charge you $350 to replace this motor; it is an easy replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts