Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I could not open my Odyssey Elite.

I tried the remote and manual, but is would not unlock.

Since Ody has key hole on the driver side only, that was the only way to manually open the door, but as much as I tried, the clockwise turn of the key would not open the door.

Called my dealer and they sent a tow truck. I asked the tow truck driver to open the car and he couldn't get it to open no matter what. We tried key 1 key 2 remote open, remote lock, sliding door, tail gate all of which would not open. He finally yanked the car onto the truck and took it to the dealer.

Guess what. It opened just fine at the dealer. But since the tow truck driver was able to confirm what I was experiencing, the dealer is going to look into it.

What I am concerned is what if this happens when I am away from the house? At some event or outside in the cold with a baby (#3 due May). I am concerned with this now.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
316 Posts
The key lock cylinder in my Accord didn't open once. No matter how hard I tried to turn it. It was freezing that morning, so I was thinking something must have froze in there, because when it warmed up, it operated just fine.

But thinking back to my troubleshooting that morning, even trying to unlock with the key fob wasn't unlocking it. Not even making the noise the actuators usually make when they're operating. When I finally got the door to open, by turning the key as hard as I could then pulling on the door handle until the door unlatched, I noticed the inside lock post wouldn't come up. I pulled it up, rather hard, and it would go back down. It seemed as if someone had pushed the electric lock button on the door and was holding it down with their finger. So I then though maybe there was moisture on a contact somewhere, making a connection on the lock switch, and keeping the current there so the lock wouldn't come up. I eventually took out the fuse to get the lock to stay up. But like I said, when it warmed up, the lock performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
how did it open at the dealership? with the key or remote?

do we know if the driver's side key will physically unlock the door or if it triggers an electronic actuation of the locking mechanism? if electronic, it may be an electrical gremlin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not at the dealer, but apparently they just opened it with the key fob.

But while talking to the dealer, Odyssey has an electrical lock. Even with a key it accutates a electrical mechanism which unlocks the lock, so it's not truly a mechanical lock even if you use the physical key.

When I was trying in the morning, it was trying to unlock but kept locking back up. You could see the lock unlocking and quickly popping back to locked position. This happened with both remote and physical key turn.

Yes. I hate to say it I may be facing a electrical gremlin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea. What I know is that this morning the car was intently, actively, keeping the door locked no matter what I did.

·
Registered
144 Posts
good luck with that. hopefully it's just a piece of debris stuck in the mechanism or something non-mysterious.

let us know what happens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Even with a key it accutates a electrical mechanism which unlocks the lock, so it's not truly a mechanical lock even if you use the physical key.
I don't have any specific knowledge on the 2011 Ody, but I'm not sure about this. I absolutely agree that turning the key activates the electronic unlock mechanism under normal circumstances. I do, however, think there's a mechanical connection to unlock just the driver's door specifically for cases where the battery might be dead. Otherwise, there'd be no way to unlock the car to open the hood for the jumpstart. Even if the car got towed to the dealer, without that mechanical unlock, they'd have to basically break into the car the way a thief would.

I've had a couple of cars with electronic locks die over the years, with the fob not doing anything. Inserting the key and turning in the driver's door always unlocked the drivers door.

Hopefully the Ody works this way as well!

To your specific problem, I agree that I'd be concerned. Sounds like unlocking wasn't actually the problem. It was that it would lock again right away, right? If the dealer was able to open without issue, but you and the tow guy couldn't at home, one (very unlikely, but worth throwing out there) thought is that your second key fob is/was defective/jammed and sending the lock signal to the car continuously. At the dealer, that signal wouldn't have been an issue. Or, maybe even your main key fob had the lock button jammed and it came free on the way to the dealer. I haven't experience that on a car key fob, but it happens with the buttons on a few other items I have (one of my TV remotes, washing machine).

Anyway, just a thought. Definitely curious if you find out more. That would be a really bad thing to happen away from home with the kids!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New update.

Dealer decided to keep the car 24 hours to see if they can replicate it.

To my delight, this morning the car exhibited the same problem I was facing friday morning. Dealer called today and told me that they were able to replicate the problem so they are going to keep it further to fix the issue.

They said that they will give me a more detailed update on Monday.

I am so glad that they were able to replicate it. Now they will have to fix it. If it didn't do it at the dealer then it would have been their word against mine.

I will post more info as I get it.

Now that I think about it, what people are saying is true. How would we be able to open the door if the battery was dead. It must be mechanical with electrical system attached also. Then we are dealing with a car which is actively keeping me locked out. HAL2000 anyone?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Good Idea having tow guy try to open it too and he was able to support your story......

When my steering wheel controls were going crazy..I had my wife record what it was doing on her cell phone......Honda said there is nothing they can do unless the dealer can reproduce the problem. The problem happend intermittently and it was not always easy to got to a dealer when it happened.

Service depts are filled with CaK suckers.......Like I want to keep going in for service on this POS!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds to me like the mechanical linkage in the drivers door (there is one by the way) needs adjusted to a center neutral position because it's out of adjustment just enough to trigger the power door locks to lock all the doors even after you manually unlock it. When you manually insert the key into the door and "lock" it, all the doors should lock electronically, but if you unlock it it most likely will only unlock the drivers door. This has happened to me when my key fob battery died.

Hinda engineers have not yet been drinking the koolaid that it's designers have been drinking lately (crosstour, insight, pilot, 9th gen civic) and I know they would still make it possible to get into your van if the car battery dies via a mechanical linkage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got an update from the dealer.

Apprantly, driver side door has a faulty lock actuator. Early in the morning or when cold it is stuck on lock and tries to lock the door when it finds it in open position. So all the unlocking I was doing, the actuator was undoing.

Parts have been ordered and will pick it up tomorrow.

We'll see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car is fixed

The car is fixed.

They replaced the driver side lock actuator yesterday and kept it overnight to see if it would still act up in the cold morning.

This morning they tested the lock and it was working, so I'll pick it up today.

Guess no way to know for sure until next winter where it will get really cold.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
The car is fixed.

They replaced the driver side lock actuator yesterday and kept it overnight to see if it would still act up in the cold morning.

This morning they tested the lock and it was working, so I'll pick it up today.

Guess no way to know for sure until next winter where it will get really cold.

Thanks all.
Been in the teens here in NW PA in the mornings...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad to see it got resolved. Thanks for closing the loop and letting us know!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Before the car lock was fix, could you open the windows?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Before the car lock was fix, could you open the windows?
1. Could not get into the car.

2. Tried holding down the unlock button second time to roll the window down, but no go.

3. Tried turning the key clockwise and holding, but actuator was working against me and would not allow the windows to roll down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the dealer fixed the locks. Sad state when you can't get into your own car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts