Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 273K miles on the clock, there is not much precious metals left in the OEM cats. But thieves don't know that. If they strike, I would be looking at at least $500 for an aftermarket job or over $1000 for an OEM CAT.

The bank 1 and bank 2 cats are in pretty secured place and need no protection, but the 3rd cat is vulnerable for being right there behind the front wheels in the middle. I already got a CatLock for my RAV4, but I think I will whip up something for this 3rd cat on the Odyssey.

Anybody got their cat stolen from the Odyssey? I know this 3rd Gen of Odyssey is not on the thieves' most wanted list, but I feel better to lock it up. Hopefully, if they ever look under there and see the cable, they move on to easier targets.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Bumper

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can also paint with high temp orange spray paint and etch the VIN. Prius seems to be the favorite target.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I definitely will paint the cover + add a couple dog tags to it. I heard the same thing about Prius and other high profile vehicles. The catlock would work great for the 3rd cat, but it is $200 plus it's currently on back order. I think I can do it cheaper, but it may not look as nice.

Kudo to the Honda engineers who managed to squeeze two cats into the almost impossible spots on the Odyssey 3rd Gen. I will give them an A+ for that.

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Sterling Gray Metallic
734 Posts
Painted and etched doesn't help ungut a cat and return it to your vehicle. Once its gone its gone. I say electrify it!

Are Ody cat con thefts becoming a thing?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Painted and etched doesn't help ungut a cat and return it to your vehicle. Once its gone its gone. I say electrify it!

Are Ody cat con thefts becoming a thing?
Most of us are not as lucky as you and that we are required by laws (mandated by congress) to pass emissions inspection for our tags renewal. Deleting the cats is not an option for us. Either I pass emissions or I don't drive that vehicle.

I don't think Ody are high on thieves most wanted list due its size, ground clearance, and only 1 out of 3 cats is accessible for cutting. Had all 3 cats are accessible, ody would be in a different statistic.

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Sterling Gray Metallic
734 Posts
Most of us are not as lucky as you and that we are required by laws (mandated by congress) to pass emissions inspection for our tags renewal. Deleting the cats is not an option for us. Either I pass emissions or I don't drive that vehicle.

I don't think Ody are high on thieves most wanted list due its size, ground clearance, and only 1 out of 3 cats is accessible for cutting. Had all 3 cats are accessible, ody would be in a different statistic.
My half-joke suggestion was to electrify the cat, not remove it. I was talking about a thief stealing your painted and tagged cat. Once its stolen its not coming back, no matter what kind of markings or paint you put on it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The idea of painting the cats in bright colors is so that recyclers can recognize it as stolen cats and don't buy them. Law enforcement also target brightly painted cats as stolen. People hope that this would deter thieves from stealing them knowing that they can't sell them. Locks and marking can't stop thieves with metal cutters, which given enough time, will cut thru anything. We just hope that potential thieves will see them as obstacles and move to easier targets.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Where is your van parked? If outside in the driveway, maybe motion sensitive lights. You could also lower your deductible. Are you aware of theft in the neighborhood? Try asking the police about converter thefts in your area.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know people are under hard times etc but you're worrying about a 5% chance of a maybe event... personally I wouldn't even think about it.. but im in a remote location and it's mostly beat up old pickups and suv's here

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cat theft is very common where I live. My house has motion lights, security cameras, and an alarm. I leave my beaters in the driveway. My Hondas are parked in the garage.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in a great neighborhood, and I don't worry about my neighbors robbing me. But I worry about bad actors dropping by from different parts of town and decide to go on a shopping spree in my neighborhood.

It's easier to be passive and only react after the fact. It takes a lot more to be proactive and prevent bad stuff from happening to you.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bank 1 and bank 2 cats are in pretty secured place and need no protection, but the 3rd cat is vulnerable for being right there behind the front wheels in the middle. I already got a CatLock for my RAV4, but I think I will whip up something for this 3rd cat on the Odyssey.
Here is what I just did for our RAV4. Odyssey is next in line.

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Rim Synthetic rubber Hood

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Shelving Automotive exterior City Metal Bumper

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Nice. Definitely takes more than normal 30s-1min to cut through. My next door neighbor had one stolen from a Pilot they park in the driveway. If you do something like this to the ody, maybe I will try it too using your instructions.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@surgeon: I hope it doesn't have to come to that, but they would have to work very hard to get that cat. Hence, thieves don't want to work. That's why they steal. The Ody is in a lower risk category so it's not going to get the CATCLAMP. Instead, I only plan on running a dual 1/4" cable along the pipe and cat.

@marvinstockman: I don't know. Catclamp states it as 1/4" galvanized steel cable

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chances are that a cat stolen from a Odyssey is about 0%. It’s too low to the ground. It’s easier for someone to steal one from a truck and there’s tons of them everywhere.
I hope you are right, but I sure don't want to find out. I guess cat thieves don't bring floor jacks.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Got done with the Odyssey last night. 1/4" steel cable is used so that is a total of 1" steel cable thieves would have to cut thru if they are stupid enough not looking for another target.

See post # 27 for materials and instruction.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

Tire Shoe Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Shoe Motor vehicle Automotive tire Textile Hood

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts