Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stop in at a local dealer looking for a new Ody, they have 3 on the lot waiting for someone to come take them home, and I want to test drive one.
They are so kind as to sell them at MSRP, but add all sorts of crap the instant they get off the truck.
LoJack is thing one... $595. I have an old one on my 94 Integra. Non-transferable, if you ask LoJack. Asked the insurance folks about how much it saves.. $14/year. Woohoo!
Simoniz System 5....$795...I'll buy some wax myself. I see other dealers charge around $299 for this questionable item.
Cargo tray. Need one, but not for $200
Mudflaps. Probably getem, but not for $200
Crossbars. Might getem, but not for $200
Plastic wheel trim, never get it, for $200.

The problem I have with the wheel trim is in this particular case, it was questionably installed. It was not tight-fitting to the body, in such a way as to form a cavity(a.k.a. Lake), where rust would surely form.

They called a week later. I told them I would not be taking their MSRP+$2200 Odys.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wouldn't either. We waited 3 mo. and saved the money.

G

·
As you probably know, you can get that stuff much cheaper at handa. I also recommend getting the LoJack, I think ours was something like $500 (got it ourselves).

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I know you can get all that stuff cheaper. Its actually all ordered, and will probably be here before the EXL-RES it is intended for.
I'm pretty sure LoJack from a dealer is always $595, but direct from LoJack(It must be installed by them, they say), it may be cheaper.
The problem I have with it is that it saves me $14/year according to my insurance company, probably because of the factory security system already being significant. In order to break even, I need to own the car for like 40 years, assuming the amount that is saved doesn't drop as the car ages.

G

·
I think LoJack insists that they install because:
  • It makes them more money
  • They ensure that it is installed correctly, and
  • They won't get any disgruntled owners complaining to them that their unit was stolen/tampered with due to improper installation.

I think the steep cost of LoJack is probably because they have somewhat of a monopoly on the market. I'm not aware of any other product like it. Keep in mind that they have some sort of contract with the police to provide the service, and that is part of the cost.

While you do have a point that you're not going to make up the cost of it, my take on it is that it'll cost you more if someone steals your van and pawns off all the goodies inside. Not to say that LoJack will prevent your van from getting stolen, but it will (most likely) get it back to you soon before a lot of damage is done.

JMHO

Good luck with the decision.

Michelle

[This message has been edited by poodleluvr (edited 02-16-2002).]

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess that is why I have good insurance. If someone steals my vehicle and beats the heck out of it and then steals everything they can out of it...

I guess I really don't want the vehicle back at that point.

Scott

G

·
Good point.

The good thing about the Odyssey is that it keeps its value. The insurance payback on a "mia" Ody will be almost high enough to get a new one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
LoJack makes a good product. The reason they want to install it is because they hide it in a different place in each vehicle. I never did find the one they put in my Mitsubishi 3000GT.

As to getting the car back stripped, the proliferation of LoJack has led the professional car thieves (the ones you really have to worry about) to start leaving cars at a cool off location for several hours to see if the cops track it with LoJack before they take it to their hideout. Thus, there is a good chance you will get your Ody back in one piece. This is well worth avoiding the insurance claim hassle, especially if you have invested in after-market accessories.

Miami-Dade PD has busted up many a car theft ring when the thieves unknowingly loaded a LoJack-equipped car into a freight container bound for Carribean. The cops were able to track the vehicle inside the freight container. Doing my part to ruin the day of one of these scum is almost worth the price by itself.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by celler:
LoJack makes a good product. The reason they want to install it is because they hide it in a different place in each vehicle. I never did find the one they put in my Mitsubishi 3000GT.

As to getting the car back stripped, the proliferation of LoJack has led the professional car thieves (the ones you really have to worry about) to start leaving cars at a cool off location for several hours to see if the cops track it with LoJack before they take it to their hideout. Thus, there is a good chance you will get your Ody back in one piece. This is well worth avoiding the insurance claim hassle, especially if you have invested in after-market accessories.

Miami-Dade PD has busted up many a car theft ring when the thieves unknowingly loaded a LoJack-equipped car into a freight container bound for Carribean. The cops were able to track the vehicle inside the freight container. Doing my part to ruin the day of one of these scum is almost worth the price by itself.

</font>
It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult for a pro to build a device that would locate the lojack transmitter - I wonder why they don't do that - or maybe they do?

It should also be possible to make an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) device that would "kill" the lojack transmitter without removing it and without damaging the rest of the car, once its location was found.

Just wondering

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few opinions....

Yes, it is a good device. I have no doubt about that.

Yes, it would be nice to find and hang the people who steal my car.

On the other hand, I have one already. I offered the LoJack people a chance to move it on my dime. They didn't bite. Do I really want to pay them another $600 to get something that will be worthless in three years(to me).

Yes, they hide them. In my 94 Integra, it is next to the dead pedal. Never woulda thought of looking there, next to the alarm switch. It is good that they install it and test it at least.

No, an EMP would be just as likely to kill a ECU, which is quite expensive. They wouldn't try it. I bet its not hard to find the transmitter once it is activated. The frequencies are probably not well guarded. On the other hand, once it is activated, you probably don't have much time before someone's gonna be knocking on your door.

BTW, dealer friend o' mine says dealer cost is $300.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you say LoJack is installed by LoJack, how does the logistics actually work?

- Does the dealer send the car to LoJack?
- Does LoJack send people to the dealer for installation?
- Does the car transport stop by LoJack for installation before dropping off the cars at the dealer?

The reason I ask is because - the dealer called me one day in the morning to say they now have an Ody I could testdrive.

They said they just received them. I went over during lunchtime, and LoJack was already installed and marked on the sticker along with someting else I can't remember.

So, I'm guessing it's one of the following
1. LoJack got installed very soon after Odys arrived at the dealer (how long does the installation take?)
2. LoJack got installed before they arrived at the dealer (unlikely?)
3. They received the vans before that day and LoJack got installed. I was just told the wrong information (unlikely).
4. LoJack hand't been installed just yet but makred up for additional profit, and it gets installed at a later time before delivery to the customer (I hope not).

For me, it's more than just an intellectual (?) exercise because, I don't want to pay the dealer $595 or whatever it is - if I could somehow know that the markup was only on the paper (4 above).

Being a skeptic, how does one know that LoJack was actually installed, since you can't verify with you own eyes? Does LoJack give you some kind of certificate? I assume testing the system will get the police fairly upset.

TIA.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Last time I had lojack installed, I took the van to the dealer and they installed it while I waited. A lojack installed came to the dealership in a lojack van, and did the work on the premises of the dealer. It took a little over one hour. They located the lojack behind one of the dash trim panels, put everything back together and delivered the van to me with a lojack certificate.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My guess is option 4b. They don't want to take a chance they're gonna lose the $300 profit on top of the 5000 profit they are already making on the van. They probably say it is installed immediately upon arrival, but only actually get it installed the next time LoJack stops by. Might be every day, might be twice a week. They probably won't wait for a customer for the van.

I concur that it is done by a real LoJack installer at the dealer. That's how it was for my '94 Integra GSR back in august of '93, number 346 to roll off the assembly line.

Depending on where it is, I think installation could be in the 20-60 minute range.

They test it before they leave, quickly I assume, and without involving the police for sure. Yes, you'll get in trouble for that if you do it yourself.

They give you a certificate that you must show your insurance company so they know you have the unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally bought my 2002 Odyssey after finding a dealer in central florida who would remove the add on charges on top of the MSRP. There's no way I'm going to pay $500 for "vinyl finishing"!!!!!

The Odyssey did not include lojack, but I definately plan to get it installed. I have it on my 99 Jeep and it gives me the piece of mind that with LoJack, there is a high probability that I will get my vehicle back before the thieves do their damage. Not having to deal with the insurance company is worth it alone, plus the higher chance that the pinheads will get caught (as a previous memeber noted).

PS - With all the problems on my Jeep, they can steal it and keep it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My insurance guy told me that theft recovery devices (lojack) would save me 15% on my policy. With that in mind, my insurance went up $8.84 from my 1999 Ford Taurus Wagon to my 2002 Ody EX-L RES. The dealer said that the lojack people could come to my place to install it or I could go to them. The price is $595.
When I got the Ody it just came off the truck and the dealer went ahead an put the sticker in the window stating that extras have been added. I knew they wern't as I saw him put the sticker in the window. I told him no way to the stuff. He said that because nothing had actually be done, he would work with me. And he did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts