Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just had me 2018 EX-L (40K miles) serviced at my Honda dealer. They changed the engine oil and took care of 3 recall issues - rear view cam, sliding door handle cable, as well as gauge control software update. When I left i noticed that my long term MPG (over last 8K miles) had changed from 22 to 25.
I also noticed that after refilling my gas tank the trip computer now says I have 430 miles of range vs ~300 miles before the dealer visit.
Did Honda update the calculations for these metrics? I highly doubt these are accurate.
Anyone else experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did Honda update the calculations for these metrics? I highly doubt these are accurate.
Its normal. Previous mpg and range were based on your driving style, the system learning.... The dealer disconnected battery to do some recalls, and now your vehicle "forget" about your driving style, and show you factory parameters. Soon system relearns again, and you will see your actual real range and mpg.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Hi all,

I just had me 2018 EX-L (40K miles) serviced at my Honda dealer. They changed the engine oil and took care of 3 recall issues - rear view cam, sliding door handle cable, as well as gauge control software update. When I left i noticed that my long term MPG (over last 8K miles) had changed from 22 to 25.
I also noticed that after refilling my gas tank the trip computer now says I have 430 miles of range vs ~300 miles before the dealer visit.
Is there any chance that the service people did a 4th recall? Their is one for the MOST connections (in your dash and in rear compartment by the fuse compartment). I had mine lose some memory points as well. Here is the recall information for this MOST connections.

Attachments

Reactions: ArmyCa

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its normal. Previous mpg and range were based on your driving style, the system learning.... The dealer disconnected battery to do some recalls, and now your vehicle "forget" about your driving style, and show you factory parameters. Soon system relearns again, and you will see your actual real range and mpg.
this makes sense, i’ll keep an eye on it. thank you for the feedback.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any chance that the service people did a 4th recall? Their is one for the MOST connections (in your dash and in rear compartment by the fuse compartment). I had mine lose some memory points as well. Here is the recall information for this MOST connections.
i don’t think they did a 4th but the second one below sounds like something that might cause it - it software related

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
i don’t think they did a 4th but the second one below sounds like something that might cause it - it software related
That is it...you found what caused it. Anytime they seem to mess with the MOST connectors, doom and gloom seems to happen to the ODY. The FAKARA connectors also have a lot to do with the MOST bus talking as well. Hopefully you can now continue your mileage counting.

·
Registered
965 Posts
A 9.5% surcharge charge on parts and labor for shop supplies? Wow!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A 9.5% surcharge charge on parts and labor for shop supplies? Wow!!!
true that, that’s to make sure you get the full dealer ‘experience’. fortunately i’ve been happy with them so far

·
Registered
965 Posts
true that, that’s to make sure you get the full dealer ‘experience’. fortunately i’ve been happy with them so far
Truly a "service" department, as in bulls servicing heifers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The “shop supplies “ isn’t that uncommon. Either they charge a percent or flat fee and can advertise a lower labor rate a parts cost.
They have to pay for the cleaners, rags and sealants somehow.

I service a lot of personal watercraft for friends family and neighbors for free but had to start charging like $20 for shop supplies because all the cleaners, grease and sealants were coming out of my pocket. I didn’t mind the free labor but when servicing other people’s skis started costing me money I had to charge.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yup, common practice, doesn't make it right. Glad my nanNY state has outlawed it.

Unbundling to falsely advertise or just add profit is something I reject as a consumer. Just like car makers omitting the "destination fee". Used to be justified when it was a varying charge that depended on dealer location. Now, with fixed charge, no justification for false advertising of prices. I value honesty.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yup, common practice, doesn't make it right. Glad my nanNY state has outlawed it.

Unbundling to falsely advertise or just add profit is something I reject as a consumer. Just like car makers omitting the "destination fee". Used to be justified when it was a varying charge that depended on dealer location. Now, with fixed charge, no justification for false advertising of prices. I value honesty.
It might be outlawed but I guarantee the customer is paying for the shop supplies somehow and not the dealer.

I agree with you it shouldn’t be a random percentage but they have to cover the cost somewhere. So maybe for like an oil change that was $25 now it’s $27 for some cleaner and rags. I know when I do an oil change I use about $2 in rags and brake cleaner to get the job done spotless, lol. But I also do a much better job than any dealer or quick lube that leave more oil on the underside of the car that they drained out.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It might be outlawed but I guarantee the customer is paying for the shop supplies somehow and not the dealer.

I agree with you it shouldn’t be a random percentage but they have to cover the cost somewhere. So maybe for like an oil change that was $25 now it’s $27 for some cleaner and rags. I know when I do an oil change I use about $2 in rags and brake cleaner to get the job done spotless, lol. But I also do a much better job than any dealer or quick lube that leave more oil on the underside of the car that they drained out.
Absolutely, it's being covered by their labor rate and/or parts markup, just like every other cost. But honestly and explicitly.

What makes the shop towels special and the uniforms not special? Why stop at a shop supplies surcharge? There should be a rent surcharge. Electric surcharge. Worker's comp surcharge. Phone system, vacation pay, time off to vote surcharges. All BS. In my opinion. I like honest and forthright.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Absolutely, it's being covered by their labor rate and/or parts markup, just like every other cost. But honestly and explicitly.

What makes the shop towels special and the uniforms not special? Why stop at a shop supplies surcharge? There should be a rent surcharge. Electric surcharge. Worker's comp surcharge. Phone system, vacation pay, time off to vote surcharges. All BS. In my opinion. I like honest and forthright.
Definitely. I would refuse to pay it and/or find a new shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts