Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are taking a trip tomorrow (11 hours) and want to get optimal gas mileage/comfort that we can get. I just checked our tire pressure (mind you we just bought this van not long ago) and we have 40psi, 35psi, 38psi, and 32psi. The van says 35psi on the door but was wondering if I pump the other 3 tires up to 40 will that hurt my mileage? I know it will effect my comfort as it will not have as much bounce. The tires are rated for 44psi max.

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
447 Posts
The higher pressure will help your MPGs but don't exceed max pressure on the sidewall for safety. 40 shouldn't be a problem with your tires but tires get warmer on the road and heat increases pressure.
Although, blowouts usually occur when tires are UNDER inflated because the increased resistance causes tires to overheat.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I run 40psi all the time in our Ody with no problems. You can easily top 5000 lbs when loaded.

Yes, underinflated tires (and/or overloaded ones) will heat up more due to the additional flexing of the sidewall at the bottom. Personally I have no issue with exceeding the maximum pressure by a few psi (35 to 40), but these days many tires are 44psi max.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts