Honda Odyssey Forum banner

What 2 years for an Odyssey would you recommend based on engine and transmission?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, were just in a serious accident last night. Had a 2004 that I'd rather still have for all we put into it, it's reliability, smooth ride, no leaks, etc. I want to say that I was impressed that the frame held for the hits it took on the freeway in a snow storm from the front and the rear. We're beat up today, but we walked away. I've written a personal letter of thanks to Honda for their engineering. Can anyone recommend a good year between 2004 and 2012 as we look for a new vehicle?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
IMO 2007 is the sweetest spot because it has the heavier transmission than 2006 and older, but doesn't have VCM II (2008+) which was far more troublesome than the first version. My second choice would be 2006 because you avoid the first year of Gen3 and the transmission's primary issue was already fixed mid-model year 2004. All that said, maintenance history is far more important than any of those issues. Regular trans fluid changes, oil changes, and current of timing belt components are critical to success going forward in the age range you are looking at.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Voted 2006 only because I have one in EXL-RES. Only thing that I ever had done (besides normal maintenance) was I had to change out the alternator at 110,000 kms and a broken driver's side strut spring. Other than that, no real issues and has been pretty reliable.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Watch for peeling paint... I had a dark blue 2005 that peeled badly. I think the white ones have peeling risk as well. If you see any signs of peeling, expect it to get worse, much worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMO 2007 is the sweetest spot because it has the heavier transmission than 2006 and older, but doesn't have VCM II (2008+) which was far more troublesome than the first version. My second choice would be 2006 because you avoid the first year of Gen3 and the transmission's primary issue was already fixed mid-model year 2004. All that said, maintenance history is far more important than any of those issues. Regular trans fluid changes, oil changes, and current of timing belt components are critical to success going forward in the age range you are looking at.
Glad you got out of that mess in one piece. I'd agree with @pkrface and if you like the 2004, you will like the 2006-2007 model year better either EXL with NAV or RES or both, but leave out the Touring with PAX. The 2007 is identical to the 2006 without much change. I happen to have the 2006 EXL with NAV and RES, VCM engine and loves it. It did have a few recalls but nothing serious and it now has 110K miles with normal maintenance. I don't like the shape of the 2011-2017 Ody plus the troublesome newer VCM engine with 6 sp tranny so I did not upgrade. If you can find one of these 2006-2007 with less than 100K with proper maintenance, it's a buy. The latest 5 gen Ody 2018+ is nice looking but I don't like the 9sp auto and the push button tranny plus it now costs nearly $42K for the EXL. It saves gas on highway but driving it around town, too many gears to up shift and down shift and you end up using only the first 6 gears any way. I think Honda and most car manufacturers went over board with the tranny gears. I really think 5 to 6 sp auto is good enough in most scenarios and the car is more responsive under acceleration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought VCM II was only on the Accord for 2008+?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts