Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a 2001. Looked at a 2011 today. Wow a couple of things left me sorely disappointed...

Left foot room for driver has disappeared; cannot stretch out your left leg on a long trip. I have to say, this is a MAJOR downer for me. All you can do is move your leg to a knee-MORE-BENT position.

The storage hole in the dash where we keep a note pad, pen, garage door opener, and my reading glasses has shrunk to about 1-1/2 inches deep. was about 5 inches deep, and extremely handy for small stuff storage. Now it is useless for everything we used it for, and looks like anything in there will slide around or fall out easily.

How in the world can a car company think that reducing foot room and reducing a storage compartment is an advance?

Also, the salesman was really proud that it had a "2GB hard drive." I have more than that in my PHONE! And obviously it isn't a hard drive, but flash memory. An 8GB USB stick is what? $15. And buying the memory by hundreds of thousands, it would probably be about $2. But you could go to the top of the line model for $8000 more and get 8GB in the Touring Elite.

We have an October long trip, and I was really thinking about going ahead and getting the new one. Now, I will be evaluating whether I want to buy it at all--mostly because of the jammed left foot rest. That would bother me immensely and constantly, and there isn't even room to move foot to the right to stretch out--the brake pedal is right there. Being unable to stretch your leg out is even unhealthy on a long trip.

I am sorry. I am an Odyssey fan--LOVE the 2001. But I think the things they have done here are just plain stupid.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Also, the salesman was really proud that it had a "2GB hard drive." I have more than that in my PHONE! And obviously it isn't a hard drive, but flash memory. An 8GB USB stick is what? $15. And buying the memory by hundreds of thousands, it would probably be about $2. But you could go to the top of the line model for $8000 more and get 8GB in the Touring Elite.
Ha that's a good one. I never thought of it like that, but you'd think they'd offer at least what my iPhone has, 32GB!

One of the few things the Odyssey disappointed me in was leg room as a driver. The sliding doors, big trunk, lots of child friendly features kept me in a minivan, but now I'm thinking of going bigger than a minivan since we have four kids and I'm thinking this van is just too small! I want plenty of legroom up front and more space to move around in the back. Maybe I need a small RV or something.

But you're right, the technology in these vans lag big time. My navigation frustrates me as well. I'd rather skip navi and have internet access via GPS or Cellular connection. My iPhone is years ahead of this van technologically and its not as if the iPhone hasn't been out for a while. :huh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I have to say coming from a 2002 Olds Silhouette to the 2011 Odyssey was a great move for us. We completed our annual 3000+ mile trip in July with 4 adults and 2 kids and eaily fit all our luggage etc. in the van without the rooftop carrier we were required to use for the Silhouette. We basically had the van for a month before the trip. The Odyssey performed flawlessly and never felt underpowered through the mountains. I'm 6' tall and never felt like I was cramped or needed to stretch. It had to be the easiest long distance drive I ever made. The van got fantastic gas mileage even with all the weight in it and the high speeds we were travelling. We looked at the 2010 before our purchase but loved the styling and features of the 2011. All in all the best buying experience and vehicle I've ever purchased.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more I think about this, the more I simply cannot fathom it.

Why do people buy minivans? ROOM!

So you put out a new model reducing room? Incomprehensible. Somebody at Honda is asleep at the switch.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
First let me start by saying that I don't like the position of the foot rest either. It is much too close to the driver.

Regarding the 2gb storage, I think it's a nice feature, and it will take a while fill with it with the cd encoding feature. If you have your own mp3s just get a USB dongle or use an iPod.

Like bigboat said, there are plenty of minivans on the market for 2011 so no need to climb up the walls.

Hope you find what your looking for, but I'll also say that our odyssey has been great on roadtrips. Even with the foot rest, I managed to find a comfortable position and had room to move my feet.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
So you put out a new model reducing room? Incomprehensible. Somebody at Honda is asleep at the switch.
I guess people need to read your first post to get the context of this ;). Just keep on mind that you own a 10-11yr old car and needs and design trends have changed a lot since, even for a minivan

Have you checked the 2010? You may find a good deal with low miles (albeit I believe the 3rd generation does not have a dashboard "hole")

·
Registered
122 Posts
I drove 2011 ody. It was nice if you lower your expectation:). Just that i cannot my fingers on it about front seats. We have 06 ody. I need to drive test again.

Right now i am sitting duck to see if any competitors is better than ody (well depend on what you are looking for).

I have a dream that not going to happen. Ody with ford ecoboost four. Toyota will have better luck than honda or Chrysler van with rear low roof line in mind and with ford ecoboost four to exchange for 8 speed auto.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have long legs and have never felt uncomfortable in the driver's seat due to the leg space.

I would prefer a longer seat bottom like my MB GL 450 had but I figure there's a give and take when switching to a different car. Oh well. I can sit and itemize the good and bad in every car and no car is going to be perfect for anyone.

If there's a van out there that meets your needs better then that's the one you should buy. I think part of the reason the storage drawer (which I LOVE) shrank was to make room for the cool box. Just a guess though. I personally love the cool box. I keep an extra set of drinks and snacks in there for when we have a delay somewhere. It always comes in handy.

·
Registered
730 Posts
..I think part of the reason the storage drawer (which I LOVE) shrank was to make room for the cool box. Just a guess though. I personally love the cool box. I keep an extra set of drinks and snacks in there for when we have a delay somewhere. It always comes in handy.
I have to say that's a disappointment for me. Otherwise, I'm pleased with the van. I still wish it had some of the attributes of my '02 though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Going from an 05 to an 11 I have to agree with the lack of left leg room for the driver. Being 6'2" I find my self moving my foot around more to be comfortable on longer drives, which is something I did not feel I did as much in the 05.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry I just love everything about it. I'm glad I waited for this new design. I was close to buying the year before this one came out. This one looks and feels much better. Inside and out.

I'm not going to kill the honda engineer for this flaw I noticed. The shift knob is kinda in the way to access the radio controls.

Say your hands are on the wheels and you want to quickly move you hands to the controls, you will hit the shifter. Remember to bring you hands UP to access the controls. haha

Other than that everythings is awesome.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have had back surgery for a blown disc in the lower lumbar region and if I drive the Ody for too long I start to feel it in my left leg. I have to agree that they should have made some more room for the left leg, thankfully I bought the Ody for the wifey and she drives it much more than I do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I moved from a 1996 JDM Ody to a 2011 TE. The only complaint I have with the new is why doesn't it have power folding mirrors like my JDM. This should be standard on both Touring models. Other than that, I'm totally pleased with my TE.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love the 11. Foot rest is perfect for me (I'm 5-10), center cubby could be deeper, but there are plenty of other places to stash junk.....double door pockets, etc etc. Love the van!

·
Registered
130 Posts
We have a 2001. Looked at a 2011 today. Wow a couple of things left me sorely disappointed...

Left foot room for driver has disappeared; cannot stretch out your left leg on a long trip. I have to say, this is a MAJOR downer for me. All you can do is move your leg to a knee-MORE-BENT position.
We're ready to buy a 2012 and thought it would be a good idea to actually drive one before we bought it.

My wife -- who drives the van -- has a bad back and noticed the same thing. She is relatively tall. She finds the restricted left leg room a BIG problem.

She tried a Toyota Sienna and it has the same problem, just not as bad.

We've had two generations of Oddys and have now logged well over 200,000 Oddy miles, and I don't know WHAT we're going to do! What were Honda's (and Toyota's) engineers thinking when they designed this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts