Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife currently has an '08 Infiniti QX56 and we're looking at getting an Oddy.

We have a 4 yr old in a booster and a 2 month old in a carseat..........the Infiniti has 2nd row captain's chairs, which is a PITA as Mommy has no-where to sit when the baby is crying and she needs to sit in the back.

Love the idea of the +1 seat in the Oddy second row.

I've got a friend at a dealer who can get me a new EX-L with RSE for $300 over dealer invoice, which is a great deal ($32,490 + TTL). They will have to dealer-trade for the van, though, as they don't even have an '11 on the lot that we can test drive.

We're going to drive an '08 EX-L tonight just to see if the van "fits" us or not......my parent's had an '06 a few years ago, so we're just refreshing our memory:) We'll have to pull the trigger and have the dealer trade for an '11 if we like this used van.....kinda stinks not being able to touch and feel the '11 first. I prefer the body design on the 05-10 better, but the interior on the 11 looks nicer. Any thoughts on that? Does the 11 drive similarly?

Had originally thought about buying a lightly used 08/09 model, but all the used ones are in the upper 20k range, and with the deal we were offered on a new one, it's hard to justify buying used.

We want an EX-L with RSE. Would like the 6 speed from the Touring for extra mpg but I'm not going to pay the extra $$$ just for that.

Any thoughts to consider?

My only concern was the transmission.......I know of 2 friends with '01-03 Oddys that put transmissions in their vans, and our friends with an '07 just lost their Torque Converter at 40k.........Are we thinking the 5 speed or 6 speed transmission is a better bet from a reliability standpoint?

Thanks! Ben

·
Registered
288 Posts
The transmissions after the 04 are completely different and do not have the same probs as the 2nd generation did. I have an EXLRES and it drives great. I had an 06 before the 11, and I think the 11 drives as well or better than the 06. I had no tranny issues with either. I do some mountain driving and, while I'm not particularly happy that on the 11, they've combined gears 1 & 2 into low, it's not been too bad. The inside of the 11 is wider but slightly lower than the 3rd gen. I have 3 kids and like the the 11 lets me have the middle row in wide mode all the time so my elementary school kids are not touching each other as easily. The 3rd gen allows the extra middle seat to be stored in the vehicle, which I miss, but I've just dealt with either having it in or out and I do use it on occasion. I had an EX in the 2006 so when I went to the 11, I enjoyed the upgrade to bluetooth, built in entertainment center, and auto open hatch -none of which I can live without now. I didn't want leather (I had cloth before) but I've dealt with that and it is easier to clean up spills. If I want navi, I'll just get a portable gps unit. I wouldn't pay extra for navi but the touring would be nice but I couldn't justify the extra $$. I did not drive the 6 speed so I can't compare the ride. Look on this forum for any minor issues that you can immediately identify on your new vehicle and then you won't have to deal with them after you buy, such as: weird glass on side mirror and windshield (I did not have these but some did), battery low indicator (I've had occasionally but mine went away), spontaneously running compressor (I didn't have), TSB on software update of radio & USB & satellite (my dealer did this for me), weird paint in some spots (I didn't have), and anything else you find on this forum. Better to clear it up before you get it home, but there are always little things on new cars. Some folks have had trouble getting the drivers seat to angle forward in a comfortable way -it would pay for you to sit in one before you buy. Some think the 3rd and 4th gen Odys are a little different. I have not had that problem, but some have and it's important on long trips and running around as the kids get older. Consider getting the dealer to give you a deal on all-weather mats. I personally got the Weathertech, but if you get a good deal on Honda's, that's not a bad alternative. Decide if you need a roof rack. With 5 in our family, for any trip longer than 4 days, we use the rack, but the '11 seems bigger in the back and even though I got it, I haven't used it yet.
I would have liked the option to put my babies in the middle 2nd row seat so I could reach them, so hopefully that works out for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up an '11 LX. We get raped in Canada on car prices so an EX or above was out of the question for our budget. It has a 5 speed transmission and it is VERY smooth. You don't even notice when the VCM is doing its thing. Of course I can't speak to the reliability as it is a new car. This van drives like a dream though. Never thought I'd say this about a minivan but I love this vehicle. Even the LX is very well appointed. Aside from the hubcaps, you'd never think it was a base model vehicle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info, guys.

Are we thinking the '11 will be relatively trouble-free, or would I have less issues with an '09/10 model that was the "end of the run" of the generation and had most of the bugs worked out?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wife currently has an '08 Infiniti QX56 and we're looking at getting an Oddy.

We have a 4 yr old in a booster and a 2 month old in a carseat..........the Infiniti has 2nd row captain's chairs, which is a PITA as Mommy has no-where to sit when the baby is crying and she needs to sit in the back.

Love the idea of the +1 seat in the Oddy second row.

I've got a friend at a dealer who can get me a new EX-L with RSE for $300 over dealer invoice, which is a great deal ($32,490 + TTL). They will have to dealer-trade for the van, though, as they don't even have an '11 on the lot that we can test drive.

We're going to drive an '08 EX-L tonight just to see if the van "fits" us or not......my parent's had an '06 a few years ago, so we're just refreshing our memory:) We'll have to pull the trigger and have the dealer trade for an '11 if we like this used van.....kinda stinks not being able to touch and feel the '11 first. I prefer the body design on the 05-10 better, but the interior on the 11 looks nicer. Any thoughts on that? Does the 11 drive similarly?

Had originally thought about buying a lightly used 08/09 model, but all the used ones are in the upper 20k range, and with the deal we were offered on a new one, it's hard to justify buying used.

We want an EX-L with RSE. Would like the 6 speed from the Touring for extra mpg but I'm not going to pay the extra $$$ just for that.

Any thoughts to consider?

My only concern was the transmission.......I know of 2 friends with '01-03 Oddys that put transmissions in their vans, and our friends with an '07 just lost their Torque Converter at 40k.........Are we thinking the 5 speed or 6 speed transmission is a better bet from a reliability standpoint?

Thanks! Ben
A few things...The 11 drives better, handles better, better brakes than the 05-10 and gets better highway gas mileage and is also at least half a second faster 0-60 esp with the new 6spd auto that debuted in the MDX in 2010. The new body grows on you, I prefer it over 05-10 which now look very dated to me. You will find the interior of the Oddy not as nice as your QX56, etc. Esp the new QX56 I just road in, no comparison there. Also no loaner cars like every Infiniti dealer has to give you. Personally I would keep the QX56 if it's doing ok. You will take a financial hit to get rid of it, just to gain an extra seat in the middle. Also, you loose 4 wheel drive (oddy is only front drive) which depending on your area might not be that great.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am a bit old-fashioned, but have always been hesitant to buy a first model-year vehicle. I don't want to be a beta customer. No matter how much testing the manufacturer does, there are always some issues that come to light in realworld use.

You might want to consider keeping the Infiniti a little bit longer and going for a 2012.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am a bit old-fashioned, but have always been hesitant to buy a first model-year vehicle. I don't want to be a beta customer. No matter how much testing the manufacturer does, there are always some issues that come to light in realworld use.

You might want to consider keeping the Infiniti a little bit longer and going for a 2012.

yeah, MY2012 will probably be out by the end of the year. :DD:coolio:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to have an 07' an the tranny went at 36k. mi. But yeah, go with the Odyssey; it'll haul alot more stuff and do you really wan't children all over the Infiniti's luxurious (but not durable) interior?Put snow tires on in the winter and it'll go anywhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just some quick feedback on the '11 vs. our previous gen '05 Ody. One of the biggest differences for us has been the extra few inches of width in the '11. The middle seat in the '11 is actually useful and wide enough to make three car seats/boosters across no problem.

If the primary reason for moving to a van from the QX56 is the middle row, I'd definitely recommend the '11. Big difference in that regard.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Drive the Sienna first.........

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with Wild Willy. Drive the Sienna first. We Drove the Sienna, and as soon as we were done, we went and bought the Odyssey. The interior of the Sienna is straight out of a budget pre 1980 vehicle. I couldn't be any cheaper looking.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Have not been in the new sienna, but I have been in the New Oddy....and it is cheap as hell looking and feeling. If the sienna is worse than that, it is a damn shame.

·
Registered
142 Posts
LOL. The Ody has the nicest interior of all minivans. Many reviewers have commented on that. If you find the Ody cheap, then their all garbage. Or maybe your just jealous.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
LOL. The Ody has the nicest interior of all minivans. Many reviewers have commented on that. If you find the Ody cheap, then their all garbage. Or maybe your just jealous.
I will never be jealous of anyone who buys a Honda.. However....I think the 04 Materials are superior to those used in the 11. Much softer plastics.......the 11 Plastics remined me of my 02 Nissan...cheap as hell

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drove an '08 extensively as it was all we could get our hands on. Local dealer doesn't have any '11s in stock, and won't until October, apparently. Their trade in value on the current car was also a joke.

Called the dealer in Chicago where we bought the Infiniti from........they offered us a great trade-in ($7,500 more than the local dealer, LOL), and they'll match the $300 over invoice price that my friend was getting me locally. And they'll dealer trade to get the car we want, AND deliver it to us......350 miles away from them:)

'11 Odyssey EX-L, in black with truffle leather, w/ RSE.

Can't wait!! Yeah, we have not driven the new body style yet......seen a couple on the road, but didn't want to flag anyone down for a test drive LOL. I'm sure we'll love it:)

(PS I will not even consider a Sienna, because I hate the dash design, with the big Nike Swoosh thing going on......)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with Wild Willy. Drive the Sienna first. We Drove the Sienna, and as soon as we were done, we went and bought the Odyssey. The interior of the Sienna is straight out of a budget pre 1980 vehicle. I couldn't be any cheaper looking.
We drove the Sienna first, and thought the same thing. While the exterior is nice, the interior definitely just felt cheap. Also, we found the back-up camera screen small compared to the Ody's, which being our first van was a little important. We've had our Ody for 3 mths and still love the thing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts