Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Canadian, and even though I live in a city of 4 Million people (Toronto) US Internet vendors do not think there is a market here - they are wrong!!

I am wondering if there is a fellow Odyssey owner located anywhere in the north-east states who would be willing to receive Honda items that I order from Honda-parts (etc.), and then ship the packages to me in Toronto.

I realize this is asking a lot, but I would endeavour to make as effortless as possible, ie:
- I would order everything, pay by credit card and use your address for shipping
- Once you receive it I would send you the funds to ship it or mail it to Toronto
- All you would need to do would be change the address label, arrange the courier and indicate it is a "Gift" on the customs form.
- This arrangement would only ever be used for small Odyssey accessories.

Without access to these Honda discount sites we are getting quite thoroughly screwed up here:
- Fog lights $300US we pay $450US
- S2000 Antenna $12US we pay $25US
- Leather wheel wrap $36US we pay $60US
- Dead Pedal $18US we pay $28US

If you are interested in helping me please feel free to email me: [email protected]

General feedback is also welcome - does anyone see any pitfals or legal issues? Am I asking way too big a favour here?
Thanks!

------------------
-Peter-
2002 Odyssey EX-L
Red Rock Pearl (Familicus Perfectus)
2001 Sentra SE w/PP (Rocketus Fastus)
"You cannot buy happiness, but you can park your yacht next to it"

·
Registered
31 Posts
one problem you might get into: when paying by credit card, usually companies can only ship to the address of the cardholder. suggest maybe paying by money order. good luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
PD55:
Here are some suggestions, if I may:
1) Never use UPS as your courier. They'll kill you with misc charges when they deliver the stuff at your door. This is on top of the freight charges the other party paid shipping it to you. You're looking at about $30-$50 Cdn extra.

2) If you have relatives visiting you from the states, ask them to bring it with them. Mind you, they have to order it and have them deliver it to their address in the states.

3) Or you can ask me, for a huge fee
, to buy it for you and bring it back here.
Just kidding

Just to let you know. I'm in the same boat. The only good thing is that I've got relatives in Cali that buys stuff for me and when he's on a business trip here in T.O. he drops it off. I'll be going down there soon to pick up my fog lights, full nose bra, etc. And if my realtive wants something here, like the CD changer deal a while back, I do the same.

In our situation right now, you are absolutely right, we are being screwed.

As for TrickedOdyssey's projects, we may just have to drive to Ohio.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Having 'migrated' from Mississauga in 85' to the States I feel your pain. The country is great, Toronto is one of the best cities in the world....but, between GST tax and the value(?) of the Canadian dollar (I think Canadian Tire money is worth more) it's rough.
Wouldn't it be worth a trip to Buffalo NY once in a while? Maybe there is an Ody owner there that can help?
Good luck!

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah - picking the stuff up from someone in the Niagara falls or Buffalo area would be Perfect -
- no shipping hassels for them
- no shipping costs for me
- suicide wings for everyone!

Any takers? Cheektowoga? Tonawanda? anyone?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
...General feedback is also welcome - does anyone see any pitfals or legal issues?...</font>
Why do some US vendors not ship to Canada? I find it hard to believe that it is their reluctance to have more business. They're a rather greedy lot

Are there issues they might not want to deal with, such as tax (import or sales?), product liability, customer suppport, or government regulations?

If in fact there are other issues, then these could possibly come into play with any other product transfer scheme. If that scheme's primary purpose is to avoid tax or regulation, that could get all parties in trouble.

==>What do the vendors say when you ask them why they don't ship transborder?<==

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
58 Posts
I thought NAFTA was supposed to eliminate all the cross border hassle.

On the other hand, it looks like the only thing NAFTA has done is to move US jobs to Mexico. At least that's been the case in my industry. DUTCH

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In most cases, US Internet companies either ship globally, or they ship only to the contiguous 48 states - so Hawaii and Alaska are shut out too.

I think it is simply ease of process - one price to ship anywhere in the 48 states - reaching 230+ million people with one process is probably not that bad a thing for these companies.

Depending upon the items shipped there could be duties applicable, but they are paid by the receiver on the Canadian end. These can sometimes be avoided if you declare the item as a gift, with no or little monetary value.

I do not beleive there is anything illegal -we are living in a global economy now.

Perhaps if everyone here petitioned the Ody - Online vendors to open up shipping to Canada we could solve this once and for all.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are services for these types of transactions when the US merchants will not ship to Canada.

one place to look is:
www.borderfree.com

I have dealt with them once and it made buying easy.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

Robert

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
I am Canadian, and even though I live in a city of 4 Million people (Toronto) US Internet vendors do not think there is a market here - they are wrong!!

I am wondering if there is a fellow Odyssey owner located anywhere in the north-east states who would be willing to receive Honda items that I order from Honda-parts (etc.), and then ship the packages to me in Toronto.

I realize this is asking a lot, but I would endeavour to make as effortless as possible, ie:
- I would order everything, pay by credit card and use your address for shipping
- Once you receive it I would send you the funds to ship it or mail it to Toronto
- All you would need to do would be change the address label, arrange the courier and indicate it is a "Gift" on the customs form.
- This arrangement would only ever be used for small Odyssey accessories.

Without access to these Honda discount sites we are getting quite thoroughly screwed up here:
- Fog lights $300US we pay $450US
- S2000 Antenna $12US we pay $25US
- Leather wheel wrap $36US we pay $60US
- Dead Pedal $18US we pay $28US

If you are interested in helping me please feel free to email me: [email protected]

General feedback is also welcome - does anyone see any pitfals or legal issues? Am I asking way too big a favour here?
Thanks!

</font>

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Let Quebec separate from the mainland (finally they will quite whining!)..then annex Ontario to New York state....the $$$ only would be worth it

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs

·
Registered
108 Posts
My two cents:

1) I talked to Trevor last year about shipping items to Canada and he said that Honda USA restricts them to selling to the USA only. He cannot ship to Canada period. He did say that he can ship items to Canadians to an US address like Mail Boxes Etc. I was down in Vermont to ski
in late January and wanted to have Trevor ships some items to the ski resort when I found out that they would accept packages for me, but I could not get in touch with Trevor before I left for the trip. I left about five voice messages with no replies and the receptionist didn’t know why he
didn’t call me back. I hope everything is okay with Trevor now.

2) Borderfree now works with “partnered” sites in the US like Ritz Cameras. You can no longer use them with almost any US Internet retailer. This changed about last labour day when I wanted to use them again for something and to my great disappointment they downsized drastically.

3) I use Mail Boxes Etc. to accept packages from US companies that do not ship to Canada or are way too expensive for shipping to Canada. They usually charge $5 per package and $1 per day until you pick it up. I had one store in the Detroit area not charge me anything, what a nice guy.

4) If you use couriers to ship items to Canada, get ready for the brokerage fees they charge. This can be about $35 Cnd for them to walk it across customs. You still have to pay for the 7% GST and 8% PST on the value of the items in addition to the brokerage fee. They may charge duties if
the item was not made in North America.

5) You may be better off getting an account with a courier company (usually no charge to set up an account and usually no minimum needed) . You have to check this, but most of the time, if you have an account they will waive the brokerage fee for you. You may have to use a specific shipping method like ground instead of air.

6) If you go through Buffalo/Lewiston, Canada Custom is very by the book and charge you the 7% & 8% on the value over the exemption. We found that Detroit is more lax and will wave you through or charge you much less then we would get charged in Buffalo (this is staying the 48 hours to get some exemption).

If you get caught by Custom for not declaring the proper amount, you can be blacklisted and be stopped all the time when you come back (especially at airports), definitely not worth the risk. I remember years ago, a prominent buisinessman's wife was caught at Custom for not declaring some expensive jewelleries coming back from their Carribean home.

7) WRT to credit cards and addresses. If you tell them that it will be shipped to a depot and provide them with the credit card billing address for verification, it should be okay. I ran into one company that said that they only take US credit cards and will not accept Canadian credit cards. I did not know there was any problem with US retailers taking Canadian credit cards.

8) Unless you know someone well, I think one will find it hard to find someone to accept
shipment and then ship it out to you again. You have to keep in mind what if there was items damage in shipping, or about concerns about shipping out packages that may contain hidden illegal items from people you don’t know and would be liable for prosecution, etc. Remember the story of the Canadian Grandmother of Vietnamese descent that was executed in Vietnam for naively taking back some wooden screens packed with drugs from some “really nice guy” she
met at the airport in Vietnam?

I’ll just settle for someone in the US to accept and hold onto packages for me to pickup. We go down to the States once in a while to shop. Because of the exchange rate, we only shop for items that you cannot find in Canada (CompUSA has a lot of items you cannot find up here or have to special order in Canada), or for items on sale at great discount. We find that US retailers
really discount deeply on clearance items and sales way more than Canadian retailers do. We usually find items at Gap Kids or Gymboree that were for origially $20 or more for $2 or $3 or so. We don’t usually shop Outlet stores because most of the items at Outlet stores (like Gap) are made specifically for the Outlet store and are shipped from the factories direct to the Outlet store. Although this last trip, we went with a friend and stopped by a Gap outlet and found a Vest going for $3.99 US, can’t go wrong at that price ( we didn’t buy it, we got too much stuff already, our
friend bought one)!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I know it is last minute, but I will be travelling from CA US to Victoria Canada next week. Is there anything I can do to help out a fellow Canadian odyclub member.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts