Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BEGGING for help with AC system. I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L. It has dual front climate control with rear control also, 3 temp control levers. On a hot day, (90 Degrees) with Air Conditioner on full blast all 3 zones down to lowest setting. On the dash the passenger window vent is blowing cold, the 2 vents in the center... passenger side one blowing 60 degree air, drivers side middle vent blowing 80 degree air and the drivers side window vent blowing hot 80 degree air. I looked at videos on topic and all were saying to pull out blend door motor under dash basically under steering wheel take it apart clean it use I think dielectric grease and put back together. I have done this twice with no change. I looked under dash while changing desired temperature from coldest to hottest and back to coldest and motor is functioning properly and it is moving the blend door, black lever down, while the white lever that has the wire coming out of it going towards the fire wall area, that lever is going up as it should. They have to operate oppositely because it is one rod that moves them both. But even in those positions the air is still 60 degrees on passenger side and 80 degrees on drivers side. I decided to remove the motor, (take it out of the picture), and manipulate it by hand to see if it made any difference. Changing the positions of the levers by manipulating it by my hand had the same results, 60 degrees on one side and 80 degrees on the drivers side makes it very hot and uncomfortable in the van. So this is telling me that the blend door motor seems to be operating properly because it moves the door levers from end to end of travel. The compressor is cycling and air is 60 degrees on passenger side. Just to be sure the system was right, We evacuated the freon, pulled vacuum to negative 30 which held, then recharged it to roughly the proper charge by ounces, I think roughly 25 ounces. System is operating no different, still hot on drivers side and cold on passenger side. PLEASE CAN ANYBODY HELP ME WIHT THIS AND GUIDE ME IN THE PROPER DIRECTION. If you can my Family and I would greatly appreciate it. Thanking you in advance.

Newest update. 6/14/21
It seems like I am having at least 1 issue that I have seen with my own eyes with the A/C system. There may be others but I know I have this one. The problem seems to be hit and miss where I have the system on full cold mode and the passenger side window vent and the center vent on the passenger side is blowing cold where the the center vent for the driver and the drivers side window vent is blowing hot air. It seems that this issue is exacerbated when it is hotter outside say 85 to 90 degrees and up.
I have run the temperature up for full heat and then down to full cold and looked under the dash at the blend door motor on the drivers side and blend door levers and it seems that the motor has not completed the full rotation to the cold positions where the blend door should be completely in one positon and the heater control valve should be 100% off. I can then unplug the power connection then plug it back in and the blend door motor will complete the travel distance which is probably ¼ inch of travel left where the round tab slides in the center of the tracks of both levers, (blend door and heater control valve).
I figured it was a blend door issue so I ordered a new one from Rock Auto roughly $50 I don’t think the cheapest or most expensive. I install it and I have the same exact problem where it is not completing the travel until I unplug the power to it and plug it back in. That being said. Is this a motor issue? Does it need to be programed? If so how? Is it some type of control panel issue? Does the control panel need replacing or programed, if so how? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Put a meat thermometer on the center front vent. Run the car and ac and see how low the temp gets. Normally, it should go down around the 40s. My 99 gets to the 40-42 deg after 10 mins or so even if the ambient is 110 here in Vegas. I assume you used the ac gauges when you vacuum pump and charged your ac. Did you check the readings of the low and high side after it has settled? If you are not getting in the 40s, after a complete recharge, something else is going on.

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
Usually this is due to low refrigerant. You didn't say who did the AC refrigerant service. If you didn't, I'd recommend getting it professionally serviced by someone with a machine that can do it accurately.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
What John said. With low refrigerant, it'll feel basically like outside air is just being vented in. And on a 90 degree day, 80 degrees seems to fit that. A blend door issue would feel more like if you had the heat on.

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
It could also be a weak compressor. Someone with skills in AC service can hook up with gauges or the machine and check the pressures after its accurately filled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BEGGING for help with AC system. I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L. It has dual front climate control with rear control also, 3 temp control levers. On a hot day, (90 Degrees) with Air Conditioner on full blast all 3 zones down to lowest setting. On the dash the passenger window vent is blowing cold, the 2 vents in the center... passenger side one blowing 60 degree air, drivers side middle vent blowing 80 degree air and the drivers side window vent blowing hot 80 degree air. I looked at videos on topic and all were saying to pull out blend door motor under dash basically under steering wheel take it apart clean it use I think dielectric grease and put back together. I have done this twice with no change. I looked under dash while changing desired temperature from coldest to hottest and back to coldest and motor is functioning properly and it is moving the blend door, black lever down, while the white lever that has the wire coming out of it going towards the fire wall area, that lever is going up as it should. They have to operate oppositely because it is one rod that moves them both. But even in those positions the air is still 60 degrees on passenger side and 80 degrees on drivers side. I decided to remove the motor, (take it out of the picture), and manipulate it by hand to see if it made any difference. Changing the positions of the levers by manipulating it by my hand had the same results, 60 degrees on one side and 80 degrees on the drivers side makes it very hot and uncomfortable in the van. So this is telling me that the blend door motor seems to be operating properly because it moves the door levers from end to end of travel. The compressor is cycling and air is 60 degrees on passenger side. Just to be sure the system was right, We evacuated the freon, pulled vacuum to negative 30 which held, then recharged it to roughly the proper charge by ounces, I think roughly 25 ounces. System is operating no different, still hot on drivers side and cold on passenger side. PLEASE CAN ANYBODY HELP ME WIHT THIS AND GUIDE ME IN THE PROPER DIRECTION. If you can my Family and I would greatly appreciate it. Thanking you in advance.
My 2009 did the same thing! Low freon..

·
Registered
2010 EX-L 230,000 2010 Touring 91,000
90 Posts
It should not be low on freon. We pulled a vacuum on it and filled it with the proper amount.
You come on here asking for advice and get a reply from one of the most respected voices (John Clark) on this forum and want to argue. I don't get it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It should not be low on freon. We pulled a vacuum on it and filled it with the proper amount.
I coulda sworn you are one of those one post wander. Never to be seen again. Anyway, I agree. But you need to give more info. Like readings from your front vent, ac gauges while ac and engine running.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You come on here asking for advice and get a reply from one of the most respected voices (John Clark) on this forum and want to argue. I don't get it.
I do not see where I am arguing with him, I just stated a fact so like you said, "I don't get it".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Put a meat thermometer on the center front vent. Run the car and ac and see how low the temp gets. Normally, it should go down around the 40s. My 99 gets to the 40-42 deg after 10 mins or so even if the ambient is 110 here in Vegas. I assume you used the ac gauges when you vacuum pump and charged your ac. Did you check the readings of the low and high side after it has settled? If you are not getting in the 40s, after a complete recharge, something else is going on.
About as low as I am getting is 45 to 50 degrees at best with about 90 degree air with high humidity. Went to the dealer and he said the reading on the system should be good and he was going with bad blend door.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I coulda sworn you are one of those one post wander. Never to be seen again. Anyway, I agree. But you need to give more info. Like readings from your front vent, ac gauges while ac and engine running.
Temperatures from the vents is roughly 60 passenger and 80 driver. I don't recall the guage readings I didn't write them down. Went to the dealer and he said guage readings looked good from what he could see. He is sticking with bad blend door.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
About the best I am getting is 45 to 50 degrees if I am lucky. The humidity is high here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What John said. With low refrigerant, it'll feel basically like outside air is just being vented in. And on a 90 degree day, 80 degrees seems to fit that. A blend door issue would feel more like if you had the heat on.
It could also be a weak compressor. Someone with skills in AC service can hook up with gauges or the machine and check the pressures after its accurately filled.
Hey John, I took it to the dealer on your advice and the guy put the gauges on it and he said it looked good to him. Would you consider that a proper check? He was sticking with the blend door issue. The issue seems intermittent which complicates the issue at least to try to figure out. Even though I have messed with the blend door I will replace it because it is cheap enough to start ruling out. Compressor at the dealer is crazy expensive and it does not come with clutch or coil and I think just for those parts total is roughly $1500. Would you use products from Rock Auto?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
Hey John, I took it to the dealer on your advice and the guy put the gauges on it and he said it looked good to him. Would you consider that a proper check? He was sticking with the blend door issue. The issue seems intermittent which complicates the issue at least to try to figure out. Even though I have messed with the blend door I will replace it because it is cheap enough to start ruling out. Compressor at the dealer is crazy expensive and it does not come with clutch or coil and I think just for those parts total is roughly $1500. Would you use products from Rock Auto?
No, you cannot tell refrigerant level using gauges. You should just get the system evacuated and recharged at a place besides the dealer. Find a good independent shop that does A/C work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, you cannot tell refrigerant level using gauges. You should just get the system evacuated and recharged at a place besides the dealer. Find a good independent shop that does A/C work.
Thanks. Finding a good local shop that I can trust does create an issue. I had a guy but he died and he was probably only 50. I will look around.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If your ac is blowing in the 40s from the front center vents, I would say your system is good. Its probably the blend door. Check if your heater valve is functioning properly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If your ac is blowing in the 40s from the front center vents, I would say your system is good. Its probably the blend door. Check if your heater valve is functioning properly.
Which valve are you talking about and how do you check it? Are you talking about the valve that is directly tied to the blend door motor that opens and closes the valve just on the engine side of the firewall that has the hot water that goes to the heater core?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts