Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase a 2012 odyssey on 1/18.

I've decided on the EX-L with Nav In polished metal/Grey interior.

"Options" I think I must have are the roof rails with crossbars, door edge guards, and the moonroof visor.

I've also got to have a hitch and tyranny inter-cooler to tow around jetskis/atv's at various times. I'm thinking I'll have U-Haul install it because Honda's list price is almost triple what u haul is asking.

I've got a quote of $33,906 without the towing package or fees (tag, title, dealer fee etc). I'm terrible with negotiations and based on what I see on sites like truecar.com it seems like a good price.

Aside from taking the time to go through the buying checklist this site provides when I buy, are there any suggestions you guys can make for me? Some option that I might regret not getting, etc?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Look carefully at nav system. If I did it over again I would not buy it. It is difficult to use,it stops 10 miles from my home, does not give you shortest route because some roads are not ditigal. Look up Walmart and see if closes Walmart is over 100 milea away. Consider side molding.

·
Registered
395 Posts
"Consider side molding"

I am not sure if side molding looks good on this gen of Odyssey, despite its usefulness in blocking the door from other cars. Do you have a pic?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Search body molding in this forum. There is discussion on putting it 3 inches higher than suggested. It also has pictures of both. Hope this helps. I think it makes van look better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Look carefully at nav system. If I did it over again I would not buy it. It is difficult to use,it stops 10 miles from my home, does not give you shortest route because some roads are not ditigal. Look up Walmart and see if closes Walmart is over 100 milea away. Consider side molding.
Do you live somewhere very rural ? If it was 10 miles off here in the (Los Angeles) city, I'd say there was a problem with the hardware.

As far as searching, I've heard that the Ody Nav has the same poor design that my 2006 Civic Nav has - it gives you results that are REALLY far away sometimes. Apparently this is quelled by choosing a category first, if you chose 'Retail' (or whatever the category is), then searched for 'Walmart', the results would be much 'better'. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I read about that on this site.

·
Registered
632 Posts
A portable Garmin is much better.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd have to diagree in that I actually found the Honda Odyssey Navigation System to be better than what I expected though it is not up to par with a portable Garmin unit. However, I find the NAV to be fairly accurate and it usually offers multiple routes to your destination. I have also used it on several road trips to Michigan and New York without any issues.

Here is my rec., get a Sienna.
But then he would be stuck with the archaic Toyota Navigation System that still uses a DVD and cannot be operated while the van is in motion.

;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Seriously, if the complaint is the factory Nav, then the Sienna is one of the last cars you wanna look at. I really don't get how these Japanese companies can have such antique nav tech.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts