Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brands, size, etc.

I'd like to plug a cooler in the rear and electronic accessories in front. (Cell charger, on rare ocassions a computer, etc.)

I also have existing cig lighter plugs. Is there an adapter for those or would I have to install a lighter.

Are there any coolers or other accessories that plug directly into power plugs?

Thanks for any help offered.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Please list the desired electrical loads that you would like to install again and add the power requirements of each. Look at the name plate data to get this. Should be located near the power cord entrance into the device. For example: Laptop, 60 watts 90-240vac, DVD 115vac 35 watts, etc. Also, which units would most likely be operating at the same time.

From this info I'll be able to help you. I have used several sizes and Mfg's. Each has pro's an cons. Let me know your load requirements and then we can go from there. Of particular concern is the refrigerator requirements.

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Just to add to Doug's excellent points (and related to them) the power outlets have a limited rating. 10 amps if I remember right. That would only be 120 watts at 12 volts. They are not cigar lighters. Those old units could handle a heck of a lot more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Both front and rear 12v accessory power sockets are supplied by the same fuse #8 (7.5amp) located in the drivers side under dash fuse panel. This would mean the maximum combined power and maximum individual power you could draw from these outlets is 12v*7.5amps=90watts.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
On the gen 2 ody f8 (7.5a) on the drivers side only powers the accessory power soccket relay. F9 (15a) feeds both accessory sockets as well as the audio unit and in the 02-04 A/T gear position indicator, DVD unit, and rear controller and screen. The rating for the sockets is 10a leaving the other 5a for the above components. If you don't have the DVE and rear controller you could probably get by with 150 watts or slightly more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the correction. I double checked in the Honda service manual. WW is spot on. My bad.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
1st post....cut him some slack...:D

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
chiody said:
Oh no, I'm becoming a gad of sorts now!
Now that's kind of funny. Speaking of a E-GADS...he never did put a post in the "explain your username" thread....how about it Mr. EGADS?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Where is Drobie anyway? First post but no follow up. This thread will turn into a gab session, me included. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts