Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the throws of deciding on a speaker to upgrade the poor quality mexican made pioneers/ They should really be embarrassed putting there names on this product. I don't need perfection, but I am dying everytime I turn on the stereo.

I have checked out the best of list posited here, but the Kennwoods KFC1687's and the Pioneer TSA1695's are discontinued. I would put these in if anyone knows where there may be some. If not. should I go for the Pioneer TSA 1667 which appears to be running the risk of poor quality?

Budget for the pair is $150 (all the wife will allow...). Any suggestion would be helpful.

:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed Kenwood Excelons in my Accord (not sure what model) I got them on clearence at Ultimate Electronics. If your looking to buy locally, you might be able to get a good deal on some closeouts. Listen before you buy. If your willing to buy onlione, you'll get even better deals. Go to circuit city's web site, they have reviews from owners, so it's nice to get opinions, you can also get opinions at epinions.com or carreview.com. Some good places to shop are etronics.com (big selection of speakers, great prices) and going to Yahoo shop. Here are a few that look promising:

Here is prices at yahoo for the Pioneers your looking for.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?coun...tid:celebritycookware,pid:41316&tech_center=1
This is an alpine.
http://www.circuitcity.com/display_...cfngcfkmdffhdffg.0&OID=34122&catoid=-8868&r=0
Here is another pioneer at etronics:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=piotsa1661

Do your homework, if possible, listen to them at a store, they won't sound near as nice as they will once installed, but you will get the idea.

·
Registered
148 Posts
After reading the massive number of threads concerning this, I decided to go with the 1667s. Everyone seems to like the sound quality, and they should fit nicely. I don't have them yet, but ordered them yesterday. Right now, Autotoys.com has them on sale. They're about $65/pair, and I paid no tax or shipping! $130 complete for both pair is a steal. Only problem is, from what I've read, if your Ody is pre '02, the 6 1/2s won't fit in the back. You need to go smaller if that is the case.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
jpryma said:
So I am in the throws of deciding on a speaker to upgrade the poor quality mexican made pioneers/ They should really be embarrassed putting there names on this product. I don't need perfection, but I am dying everytime I turn on the stereo.

I have checked out the best of list posited here, but the Kennwoods KFC1687's and the Pioneer TSA1695's are discontinued. I would put these in if anyone knows where there may be some. If not. should I go for the Pioneer TSA 1667 which appears to be running the risk of poor quality?

Budget for the pair is $150 (all the wife will allow...). Any suggestion would be helpful.

:confused:
Based on what I'm hearing here, you probably want to stick with the more reasonably priced coaxial speakers out there. Lots of players out there, and again, if you have time, do go audition some so you can get an idea of what available...

If you shop around, you might be able to find closeouts on one of two lines of Boston Acoustic coaxials, which are very decent performers. The RM6 IMO is a pretty darn decent coax. I've seen some places now closing them out. The RX67 is not bad either, and has been recently discontinued.

Otherwise, take a look at Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, and the more popular brands. Audition locally. Decide what you like, and then shop on the net for best price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought some Pioneer 1695's on Ebay (via gear4less)thanks to a referral from an ODYCLUB'er about 2 weeks ago for about $80 American (incl. shipping). Gear4less had a limited number of 1695's left when I ordered.

Took about a week for shipping. Install was pretty easy with speaker connectors from Circuit City and after removing rain shield and alignment tabs...and they sound pretty darn good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts