Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a pioneer in-dash DVD player Model SDV-P7 and a 7" wide screen Audiovox Monitor model VOH702 w/tuner on the internet after finding out that the RES will not be available as a dealer accessory. Does anyone here recommend these or do you of something better? You can view the VCP system from audiovox at www.rearseatvideo.com , they also have the Honda IVES system there for sale.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you haven't already, check out the aftermarket forum and maybe search for entertainment systems. I remember seeing discussions on DVD systems in there. I don't remember if they were in-dash or external DVD units, similar to a VCP.

Good Luck,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry, I meant the audio, video forum.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alpine makes a screen, the size of your normal DIN, and a DVD player of a DIN. I don't think the size is a double DIN in the odyssey. So, you could always consider a playstation 2.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have installed the Audiovox 7" widescreen (VOH702) along with the Audiovox DVD player. My review is in the audio and video section (go back about a month). I am very happy with the system.

I wanted to keep the stock stereo (as it is impossible to use the steering wheel stereo controls with a non-honda unit) and the slot below the stereo is LESS than a full DIN. So I had the DVD mounted under the passenger seat (the tray was removed) along with an inverter. I also posted a link to pictures. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phil47:
I have installed the Audiovox 7" widescreen (VOH702) along with the Audiovox DVD player. My review is in the audio and video section (go back about a month). I am very happy with the system.

I wanted to keep the stock stereo (as it is impossible to use the steering wheel stereo controls with a non-honda unit) and the slot below the stereo is LESS than a full DIN. So I had the DVD mounted under the passenger seat (the tray was removed) along with an inverter. I also posted a link to pictures. Hope this helps.
</font>

Thanks, I saw your pictures on the web site and that is exactly what I was looking for. The pioneer unit is the same size as a regular auto CD player, will it fit below the stock stereo? I also want to keeo everything stock but I want an in-dash system below the stock stereo instead of under seat. By the way your system came out looking real nice.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks. I was quite pleased with the install and the look of the final product.

To answer your question, the slot below the stock stereo was NOT large enough for ANY in-dash DVD player (or DVD head units). Believe me, I tried as this was my preferred option. They all required a single DIN, the opening is around 20% too small. I would have paid the big bucks for a DVD head unit to replace the stock stereo, but nobody would guarantee that it would work with the existing steering wheel controls.

I was hoping Honda would develop one to fit the opening (like the 6 disc in-dash CD unit seen here http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/ody6cd.jpg). Although it's too late for me, does anyone know if the DVD unit that comes with the RES is smaller than a single DIN opening??

·
Registered
4 Posts
I visited a Honda dealer today to look had a 2002 EX-L that had just come in. I was assured that the RES can be installed by the dealer and is exactly the same system as the ones that come on the EXL-RES version. The dealer believes that RES/NAVI is not a factory option because of cost considerations. So I would double check with your delaer or phone around if you are interested in a dealer installed RES.

Good Luck !

[This message has been edited by ishjenthomas (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
My dealer has told me the same thing, though it is pricey.

-d

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
My dealer has told me the same thing, though it is pricey.

-d
</font>
This has been a constant search for me to see if i can get the RES without the leather. I live in Southern California close to Yuma, Arizona so I am looking at 120 degree weather here, so leather is out of the question. Anyways, there is a link somewhere here that has a dealer informing that the RES system will not or ever be an accessory. I do like though what Phil47 has done with the aftermarket system and I believe that might be the route to take. I'll wait maybe two months to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I went the other path and purchased a portable DVD player with a 7 inch screen. The player is a Panasonic L85 unit that comes with a extra set of external speakers and amp. I use a velcro strap to hold the player on the middle table and the kids can see it just fine. I also use a audio splitter to allow them to use headphones so that we can still listen to the radio/cd. This setup also allows us to move the unit to the other car if we are not using the van. This unit has S-video and standard video inputs as well to hook up video games. Cost was $648.00 from the web.

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chan_man:
I went the other path and purchased a portable DVD player with a 7 inch screen. The player is a Panasonic L85 unit that comes with a extra set of external speakers and amp. I use a velcro strap to hold the player on the middle table and the kids can see it just fine. I also use a audio splitter to allow them to use headphones so that we can still listen to the radio/cd. This setup also allows us to move the unit to the other car if we are not using the van. This unit has S-video and standard video inputs as well to hook up video games. Cost was $648.00 from the web. </font>
Could you please post a URL to where we can find this. I am audio/video ignorant and don't understand things such as splicers and things like that. Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phil47:

</font>
What about the heat vents under the seat, does that prevent: one, heat from coming out, two, could the heat damage the electronics

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my 2001 ODY EX NAVI from the dealer I work for, and had installed an overhead Audiovox tuner/tv console with remote head phones. I also purchased a new Audiovox DVD player that fits nicely under the back of the right front seat, or when wanting to use, fits nicely on top of the center console. I had my installation people leave about 4 feet of necessary cable tucked up under the right front seat. We wnet on a 5000 trip to PA and what a joy. To bad they didn't have this when I was a kid. I would not have been back handed as much i think. LOL. I would highly recommend this unit. And if youare like me, most of your movies (kids) are on DVD. If needed, you can still use a portable VHS......audio and video plugs the same (RCA Jacks). The entire unit w/installation cost $1259. When compared to the Honda unit, well, there isn't a comparison. I have suggested to our two (2) soon to be three (3) Honda dealerships that they look at doing this. I know the ins and outs of using "factory" genuine parts, but when the factory doesn't provide....well. Email me if you would like me to send you more info on this set-up. I can send pics too. Looks and works great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my 2001 ODY EX NAVI from the dealer I work for, and had installed an overhead Audiovox tuner/tv console with remote head phones. I also purchased a new Audiovox DVD player that fits nicely under the back of the right front seat, or when wanting to use, fits nicely on top of the center console. I had my installation people leave about 4 feet of necessary cable tucked up under the right front seat. We wnet on a 5000 trip to PA and what a joy. To bad they didn't have this when I was a kid. I would not have been back handed as much i think. LOL. I would highly recommend this unit. And if youare like me, most of your movies (kids) are on DVD. If needed, you can still use a portable VHS......audio and video plugs the same (RCA Jacks). The entire unit w/installation cost $1259. When compared to the Honda unit, well, there isn't a comparison. I have suggested to our two (2) soon to be three (3) Honda dealerships that they look at doing this. I know the ins and outs of using "factory" genuine parts, but when the factory doesn't provide....well. Email me if you would like me to send you more info on this set-up. I can send pics too. Looks and works great!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Regarding the heating vents under the seats...the installation does not block them. If you place the DVD near the back of the seat, they will be blocked, however I had it installed near the front which does not block the vents. You can see it quite clearly in one of the photos of the install which I have posted here:

photos.yahoo.com/phil99_5

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey SM1, which dealer do you work for? I live in Coral Springs and I do nothing but dealer work but can't think of which Honda dealer you could work for here in Broward. Braman Honda comes to mind but I am drawing a blank. I do work for Sherwood Honda in Delray and Honda of North Miami Beach. I sell Audiovox as my primary line. Most people don't know that they have a 3 year warranty also. Some of there DVD's only have a one year warranty. The price you said you paid didn't state which model you purchased. It's a good price though. So which dealer are you with?

DanDan the Radio Man!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Here is the link, shows all the different models that you can get.

http://www.etronics.com/listproducts.asp?prod_type=Video%2FDVD%5FPlayers%2FPortable%5FDVD%5FPlayers

Can not find the same version that I bought DVD-LV85 but the LV75 is the same player just not boxed with the external speaker/amp.

A splitter cable for the audio can be bought at Radio Shack etc, just a "y" cable that gives two plugs for two headphones. The unit will come with a special cable for hooking up a playstation etc for viewing and sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DanDan......I work for Rick Case....Fixed Operations Director....we have several stores around the country. I purchased the van from our store in Cleveland, Ohio.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts