Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a few odysseys around Portland. I'm looking at at least the 05 because of the newer body style. I found a great looking 06 touring, fully equipped with nav, DVD, leather, and all that good stuff. Only issue everyone says is that they consider it high miles at 128k. That doesn't bother me since the last Honda I had had over 350k miles. I have full faith in Honda and the fact that this van belongs to an older couple that have full records of services does make me feel more comfortable in buying.
They already did the major tune ups needed for that mileage.
Asking price is 14,500.
Would this be a good price? How much are you guys paying for your odyssey.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That doesn't bother me since the last Honda I had had over 350k miles. I have full faith in Honda and the fact that this van belongs to an older couple that have full records of services does make me feel more comfortable in buying.
Thanks in advance.
So did a lot of Honda owners before the Odys....they're not your fathers Honda. Not horrible by any stretch...but they have so much crap on them they're just not bullet-proof these days. Power steering, VCM, brakes, and torque converters are all trouble areas to watch out for. Also if this still has run-flats that can be a sore point.

I'm not saying don't buy one...just don't expect to put another 130k...(or 30k) on it without doing some work.

Price seems like all the money to me. Trade is $10k real-world money. I'd shoot for $11k-12k. Lots of these out there to pick from.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been looking a bit and they seem like every where you look they are asking over 16k to 18k for similar models around here.
I was really excuted about the run flat wheels when I first found out about them. And yes it does still have them. Then I read more about them here and realized that they werent as great. It seems that it's cheaper to take them off than to replace them. And that's what I would do. I don't think this is a deal breaker cause the current tires are in good shape.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We bought an '06 with 94k on it for $16k a month ago. Once we dePaxed, it's been nothing but a great vehicle. You might want to use the tires as a negotiating tool in your favor, though. Expect to spend anywhere from $1500-2000k to dePax when all is said and done.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Asking prices are one thing....real money is another. A normal dealer would just turn this thing to the auction...and that's the auction price I quoted you as a trade baseline. Once you get above 80-90k miles most new car dealers just send them straight to auction. But supply may be limited more so in your area. There's so many of them here in Ohio it's not even funny...and actually one of the reasons my wife didn't want another. There were four at our daughters small school exactly the same as ours!

The Touring with the run-flats is a penalty for the most part but if they're new tires that should help. When you said the "tune up" has been performed...does that include the timing belt? That's due around 100k miles and is in the $800+ range if you have to use a dealer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have been looking at a few odysseys around Portland. I'm looking at at least the 05 because of the newer body style. I found a great looking 06 touring, fully equipped with nav, DVD, leather, and all that good stuff. Only issue everyone says is that they consider it high miles at 128k. That doesn't bother me since the last Honda I had had over 350k miles. I have full faith in Honda and the fact that this van belongs to an older couple that have full records of services does make me feel more comfortable in buying.
They already did the major tune ups needed for that mileage.
Asking price is 14,500.
Would this be a good price? How much are you guys paying for your odyssey.

Thanks in advance.
I really think the price is too high but when I check Edmunds and the like it seems like it is right in the ballpark.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should specify that it's s private seller not a dealer so that's why it wouldn't go to auction. Lol.
Yeah, new tires last year so they have some life left in them. They do have their pros at this time since they have that life in them and my wife is 8 months pregnant. I already starting looking into the removal of the pax wheels when the time came.
The 105k maintenance has been done which includes the timing belt. Everything has been done at the dealer. All records at hand from when they first bought it.
I hear you guys thinking that the price might be too high, but I been test driving other cars and the only thought in my head is, do I really think this car is worth this much money? The answer was no till I drove the van.
I guess it made me feel more secured and confident that my wife would be driving this. And all the luxuries didn't hurt. Well not yet though. We will see when things start breaking down.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well you're the one that asked if it was a good price. Good to me means a bargain...better than you could buy one somewhere else. The auction price is simply a base-line for what the people could get if they traded it. A dealer obviously wants to make money so they will be far higher on their retail pricing.

If you're happy with the vehicle and the price...then that's all that really matters. Obviously try to negotiate as much as you can. They've spent a lot on tires and maintnenance so they may not be too willing to come down much. Hopefully you're leaving room in your budget for some repairs...a transmission replacement at these miles is not unheard of.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I recently picked up an immaculate 07 EXL with 74K for $16,300. It is white with beige leather interior and none of that PAX tire PITA stuff. Since it was only purchased and driven in Southern California (where it doesnt snow or rain much), it had no rust or issues with the body. I'd like to mention not even one door ding. It had a rattling noise the next morning I started it. Scared me silly. That said, I just determined the rattling noise is a loose tbelt tensioner - thanks to this forum and mjody...which is all good since I can fix it myself for under $125 with a new tbelt.

It took me three months to find this cuz I only wanted white. There are many vans with different colors out here in LA and many of them are in great shape. I stayed with 2005 and up and setttled with the 07. I did not want PAX tires and I already hate the TPMS.

The tranny issue is the biggest issues with these vans, so I gave it a good workout before purchasing. Today, my Truc-cool LONG tranny and Derale 13210 power steering cooler arrived from Amazon. I learned about them here from the great guys on this forum. I will be installing them soon.

I won't brag about the interior, but I would like to mention that it appears no one has ever sat in the back seats. The carpeting was still showroom clean. I was lucky. The owners live in Pasadena and they, I later learned, were filthy rich so they took care of the van. Just a couple who liked vans with no kids. They were Asian who got spooked with the rattling noise and decided to dump the van quickly.

Good luck, come to LA, you will find lots and lots of great deals...many easily to find. Buy from Asians since most take their cars to dealers for oil change and repairs. Just my 2 cents. Oh, best product for the van yet that I have purchased is the GTA Car Kit for my ipod...excellent.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Picked up a 06 Odyssey EX-L last Friday for $13,980 with
96k. So far it is running like brand new. Just installed a trailer hitch from E-Trailer.com. Now after reading lots of good info from members of this forum I have learned I need to install a tranny and PS coolers. And had better have the Tranny flushed not knowing the maintenance history of this Odyssey. Overall, I would say its a good choice to buy. But being totally new to Honda, that story could change over time. My old Olds Silhouette I traded was a money pit. Hoping I didn`t dump one for another.

·
Registered
69 Posts
And had better have the Tranny flushed not knowing the maintenance history of this Odyssey.
In Los Angeles, I can take my registration to the dealer and get a history maintenance of the van.

I would smell the tranny fluid and view the color. You may not need to change the tranny fluid. Up to you.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would just check the tranny, engine mounts, ps pump, torque converter, and see if there are any rattles or vibration. And also check if the power doors are functioning correctly. Those arethe things I would check first and take it out for a spin.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@skinny
Yeah, I was the one that asked and I know I sound bias cause I am.
I really liked this 06 ody since I saw it and comparing it to the other odys in my area given that no other is a touring it's the cheapest around.
I honestly felt comfortable with the price cause it came with most of the maintenance records since they first bought it brand new. So in the end I decided to get it. Final price was $14,000 plus interest of course. Lol.
Soon as I got it I went over all the maintenance records. Major tune ups done, timing belt, several tranny flushes, at least one recent engine mount done.
Nothing shows any electrical work done but everything works great.
Even tho I'm fairly confident in the ody cause of all the maintenance recently done I was offer a sort of back up insurance that covets engine, tranny and drive-train, and I took it for 500 more bucks. I figured it was worth it since some of you guys say that the tranny can go any time.
My girl loves her van. It was her push gift. Lol. I didn't know what a push gift was till a few weeks. I hope there is such a thing or I'll look lime a fool for posting that. Lol.
Thanks for all info guys. I'll be around, hopefully for more that 100k miles. Lol.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Ah yes the "Push" gift. Very easily mistaken for another P word....:DD

Glad you're both happy with the van, that's all that matters. Who offered this warranty?? Maybe I shouldn't even go there.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What P word would that be? Sat for like 10 minutes trying to think of it but I just can't. Lol.
Any ways, i got my car financed through onpoint, which is my local credit union at like 3% rate. Pretty good from what I hear since this is the first time I've done something like this. I used to be young and single at one point so every thing was always cash. There was a time I could afford it. Lol.
So onpoint offer the GAP insurance and this other car breakdown warranty by mercury insurance group.
Mechanical Breakdown Protection | Mercury Insurance
Kind of like an extended warranty. Given the mileage of the vehicle they only offer me the bronze package, which I can't find info on. But it covers engine, tranny, and drive train parts. It's specific on telling you what parts though, which made me a little hesitant about getting it. But my agent, which I fully trust sait that I had 30 days to look into it, if I didn't want it I could remove it and not pay a dime for it.
So if any one knows anything about these things, like do they actually work or they are just rip off.........let me know.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well I could probably rant and rave about extended warranties for hours...but that's for another day. I would look at it very close, read the fine print, and then decide. I would never recommend a 3rd party warranty (i.e. not Honda, Toyota, etc.) simply because they can/do go out of business or word things to rarely ever cover anything. There's usually a deductible and a lot of red tape. I've seen a lot of folks get burned on these things over the years. $500 isn't much in the scheme of things....which makes me even more suspect. I'd be curious to know how long this will be in effect as well. Stop back once you receive the materials if you want help digging through the docs. Hopefully they don't mail them around day 29.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ol. I know what you mean. Few reasons I got it is cause they said I could cancel and I wanted to show my buddy who is a certified mechanic so he would know how these things work.
As far as I know there wouldn't be any deductible or co payment given that the work and parts are covered but I'm sure there's all kinds ways they can work around that.
I have the flier, I can maybe take a pic or scan it and post it. Maybe you or someone here might know about it or see any issues with it.
It's 500 for 2 years. I don't know what happens after that.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Picked up a 06 Odyssey EX-L last Friday for $13,980 with
96k. So far it is running like brand new. Just installed a trailer hitch from E-Trailer.com. Now after reading lots of good info from members of this forum I have learned I need to install a tranny and PS coolers. And had better have the Tranny flushed not knowing the maintenance history of this Odyssey. Overall, I would say its a good choice to buy. But being totally new to Honda, that story could change over time. My old Olds Silhouette I traded was a money pit. Hoping I didn`t dump one for another.
Don't forget bout the 105 service coming up..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I purchased an 06' Touring/nav/res w/95K miles a month and a half ago for 16K... It was a 1 owner van, clean title, no accident history and full maintenance records @ the dealership with the balance of the Honda Care Warranty to 120K, $0 deductable, till 5/2013.

The first thing I did was depax my van, and did so with a wheel(factory 16"), tire(90+% tread), TPMS, and spare tire purchase I made on my local Craigslist auto parts search. There are owners that are now trading in their vans and reinstalling their old PAX sets, and then they sell the depax setup. I picked up everything for $700... NO MORE PAX for me.

I don't think you will get hurt on your purchase @ that price since I literally saw nothing but crap out there prior to this van. All the other vans were close in price, but had problems when I had them inspected by the dealer. If they took care of it, it will take care of you. It is important to continue the maintenance portion... since that plays into the big picture of keeping that van on the road.

BTW: The prices at the auctions are very high on Odyssey's right now... I am a wholesaler adn have been tracking it for a while. I have been shopping myself for a couple months, I saw nothing but junk going thru for big$$$$. Local Honda dealers are selling Odysseys with 110+K miles for $15K plus fees. I guess it's getting harder for people to spend or to get approved for $40K on a new vehicle these days. Also, for the next couple months, new vehicle inventory is going to dwindle in light of whats happening in Japan. Even the American manufacturers are hurting for parts to build vehicles now... Assembly lines are cutting hours drastically.

Sorry for the rant, now back to your regularly scheduled programming! LOL!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@timmers
A lil off topic, since you brought up Japan and assembly lines. I work in a metal shop and just recently noticed how much metal/steel comes from Japan. Production just started full power late last year, I don't know how bad things are going to get later in the year.
Seems gas prices are shooting up already.
So seems me paying 14k isn't too bad. I just gotta keep up the maintenance, tho I doubt I'll be able to keep taking it back to the dealer for every little thing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts