Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you purchase a van with VCM and it is running well and not burning oil, then installing the VCM module will prevent any future VCM issues. Not all of the VCM vans had those issues - the "07 I bought used did not. It runs great, burns little to no oil. I think the key is good maintenance from the previous owner(s).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
NC, go to Consumer Reports for reliability reports. Don't know about AWD, but do you really need it?

Again, LX or EX don't have the VCM, which can be a big, big, big headache, on EX-L and Touring models.

Carfax report, which you can buy on ebay for $5 or so.

Get a pre-purchase inspection, but get the carfax first. Why mechanically inspect a vehicle that has been totaled or has been in a bad accident.
Thank you! All good points and advice; very much appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you purchase a van with VCM and it is running well and not burning oil, then installing the VCM module will prevent any future VCM issues. Not all of the VCM vans had those issues - the "07 I bought used did not. It runs great, burns little to no oil. I think the key is good maintenance from the previous owner(s).
Thanks a lot Cahaak; what you are saying makes sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The burning oil question is hard to answer when you buy a used car, and is a crapshoot until you put mileage on it. Most sellers won't give you a guarantee.
It's hard to answer when you buy a NEW car for that matter. I bought a brand-new Subaru two years ago that chugged over a quart in-between oil changes.

One of the first things I do when I buy any car and change the oil for the first time is to send a sample of the drained oil to a lab (like Blackstone for example) to get an overall clue about the engine health. You can't predict the future but it can buy you some peace of mind before you sink $$$ into other projects on the vehicle.

Also, this is my first post here. I'm lurking in anticipation of buying an Odyssey (or...blasphemy! a Sienna) and felt like replying to this :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
just a suggestion on the price range $4-5k. Mileage will usually be high and with high mileages comes unreliability. I recently read that a vehicle should last on average 250,000 miles. So, for your 10, 300-mile trips and 3-4,1000-mile trips annually I'd suggest renting something....for those trips since they are round trip. Wear and tear on a rental is better and if you get stuck in another state, they ( company ) will have a replacement. If this is something your not into, then get AAA towing for $103.00 ( 100 miles ) if you get stuck out-of-town you can have it towed to the dealer. Dealer repairs are covered throughout the US and local repairs are ( well ) covered locally, I hate to have to drive back to another state for a follow-up repair.
Best luck with your decision,

·
Registered
404 Posts
Lower mileage EX or LX. Stay away from EX-L and Touring, unless you personally know the owner and they have not had VCM issues (oil burning, missing, etc) Also make sure the Timing Belt was changed at around 105k. Usually there is a label in the engine compartment showing it was changed. Also pull a carfax, fwiw.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Make sure the frame is not rusted. I have 2007 EX for 13 years and I clean the underbody every spring but still can't stop the rust. I'm in Michigan tho where they spray salt everywhere.
Something like heat shield and exhaust rusting is inevitable for vehicle this old. But check the frame.
Mine is only 80K miles... for 2007, that's pretty low so low mileage ones do exist out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear Ody Club,

My name is Chris, I live in Western North Carolina, and I am new to the forum. I have been looking at and researching used minivans for the past 14 months. I am focused on the Odyssey, Sienna, or Caravan/Routan but leaning towards the Odyssey. My wife and I can not spend more than $5000. I have listed 3 questions and two comments below to help further explain our situation; any help in response and/or advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Realizing there are a lot of factors involved, maintenance record-how it was driven-mileage-etc; is there a year, between 2005-2010 that stands out or you would recommend? And why?

Are there specific things to look for with specific years?

Do you feel staying below 200K for the mileage would be more important than the year purchased?

After spending a couple of hours looking at other forum threads it seems timing belt and regular transmission fluid changes are the 2 most important maintenance items we need to verify have been completed... Do you agree, and are there any others that stand out?

Our planned use is: as a daily driver (approx 15-30miles), approximately 10, 300-mile trips and 3-4,1000-mile trips annually (both of which the van would be fully loaded, including a cargo box on the roof.

Reliability is the most important aspect for us to consider within this purchase. We live modestly and usually spend about $3K for our vehicles whilst putting away about $500 to $1000 per year for preventative maintenance and upkeep.

Again, any responses and advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Warmly,

Chris, a hopeful future and proud Odyssey owner from NC
DO NOT get one that has the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) engines. Yhey are a continuing nightmare. Wish I had bought a Toyota now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Ody Club,

My name is Chris, I live in Western North Carolina, and I am new to the forum. I have been looking at and researching used minivans for the past 14 months. I am focused on the Odyssey, Sienna, or Caravan/Routan but leaning towards the Odyssey. My wife and I can not spend more than $5000. I have listed 3 questions and two comments below to help further explain our situation; any help in response and/or advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Realizing there are a lot of factors involved, maintenance record-how it was driven-mileage-etc; is there a year, between 2005-2010 that stands out or you would recommend? And why?

Are there specific things to look for with specific years?

Do you feel staying below 200K for the mileage would be more important than the year purchased?

After spending a couple of hours looking at other forum threads it seems timing belt and regular transmission fluid changes are the 2 most important maintenance items we need to verify have been completed... Do you agree, and are there any others that stand out?

Our planned use is: as a daily driver (approx 15-30miles), approximately 10, 300-mile trips and 3-4,1000-mile trips annually (both of which the van would be fully loaded, including a cargo box on the roof.

Reliability is the most important aspect for us to consider within this purchase. We live modestly and usually spend about $3K for our vehicles whilst putting away about $500 to $1000 per year for preventative maintenance and upkeep.

Again, any responses and advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Warmly,

Chris, a hopeful future and proud Odyssey owner from NC
For dependability buy Toyota, I bought my 2008 Odyssey EX after using my fiance's 2014 Odyssey thought it was a great buy and have had electrical problems with mine ever since...and now my wife, we're both dealing with simular electrical problems in addition her extended warranty had to replace her engine with 40k miles with a new one due to on-going mechanical issues! Best to steer clear of Honda Odysseys. Hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello Neighbor! We have family in Matthews and are in fact looking over the Charlotte Craigslist a lot for vans - trying to avoid the rust and hard driving you find a lot up here in the mountains.
And you're right on point with your thinking... We're thinking one path is go with an '05 or later, deal with the higher miles, but be well within our budget so as to be able to sink some solid $ into preventive maintenance. Option B, blow our budget and try and get an '09 that has been well maintained. I read on the Cartalk site that the '05's had the least maintenance complaints up until the '09's and '10's... You all still driving your '05?
Absolutely! 'Tain't flashy, but it's reliable, carries people (an infrequent need) and a lot of STUFF ("indoor pickup truck" being our most common need.

Share your conundrum of older vs. newer... but have found that almost any used car comes with deferred maintenance. It's just a question of how much $ to get it up to snuff. A car in its teens will almost certainly need suspension work to be "close to new." These days parts for common vehicles are really cheap, so if you can do the work (and many of us can... albeit slower than pros) this isn't a reason to avoid those vehicles. Almost any used vehicle comes with murky provenance of "deep" maintenance like timing belts, transmission fluid changes, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2006 EX Model Odyssey. It has been a great car for us for the most part. I have been very studious about oil changes but was unaware of the transmission issues on this van until I found this forum. Van now is about 257,000 miles. Burns no oil. We started having some transmission issues show up after I had a local shop do a transmission flush on it at about 100,000 miles. Transmission only got worse over time to the point we were afraid to take it out of town for fear it would give up the ghost on the road and leave us stranded somewhere.

I have since found out from this forum never to do a transmission "flush" on this vehicle. Also as suggested on this forum I have done 3 drain and fills on the transmission and replaced the transmission filter. Exchanged the honda tran fluid with the Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic and also added the Lubegard Transmission additive as per instructions. It has saved my tranny and now we have no fear driving this thing across the country.

Since ours is the EX model we never had issues with the VCM since it did not come so equipped.

Aside from the transmission issue, the power steering pump has always been an ongoing issue. Problems since it was a couple of years old. Noisy, leaking, problematic, etc.. It has been rebuilt by dealer once, had O'rings changed several times, replaced hoses, reservoir tank, etc..

I have as mentioned by Belmont, also have rebuilt the front end (in my driveway) with Coilover Struts, control arms, sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, CV axles, steering outer links. At the same time I also replaced rear shocks.

A couple months ago I also replaced all 4 oxygen sensors and just adjusted the valves, replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the EGR valve, cleaned the intake and throttle body out (when I adjusted the valves), and replaced all of the fuel injectors. Last year I replaced the rollers on the sliding doors, the rear lift supports on the back door and the oil filter housing gasket.

Also within the last 18 months I replaced the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley, belts, plugs, water pump, flushed the power steering pump, and flushed the cooling system at the same time.

I now have a leak on the rear main seal that is splashing oil underneath the car and onto the exhaust system creating alot of smoke and strong burning oil smell. But...car runs great hahaha! With all the work I have put into this thing the last 2 years I am expecting to get another 100,000 miles out of it hopefully. It is by far the most comfortable riding car we have of 4 cars.

As far as the rear main seal goes, I have added some seal conditioner AT-205 yesterday and hope that will help with the leak. Otherwise the price range quotes I have gotten to replace it are all over the place. $650-$1365 from local shops. Pulling the transmission to do this is not something I have the equipment to perform.

Other than the above-mentioned repairs, the usual brake and rotors, battery, starter, etc..
Another repair that I need to do and is my next project is replacing the AC solenoid under the dash. It regulates the air temperature on the split climate control. This is yet another thing I discovered on this forum as the cause of my AC issues.

Just looking at the research, the Toyota's look to have a better reliability history than the Odyssey, though we have been pretty happy with ours. The popular youtube mechanic Scotty Kilmer has a video where he talks about these vans that might be informational to you
and the Consumer Reports reliability history is a phenomenal resource when considering a new or used vehicle. I never purchase anything anymore without referencing Consumer Reports and looking at the Carfax report on the VIN number.

Although we have loved our van, if it was me I would seriously consider the Toyota Sienna as a good one to consider over the Odyssey.

Some of the repairs no doubt could have probably gone without attention but with my OCD I simply can't stand something that is not performing optimally. This forum has been an invaluable resource for me in doing much of the work on the van and knowing what to do and getting great advice. I have increased my fuel mileage 2-3 miles per gallon by adjusting the valves, cleaning the EGR valve, throttle body, intake plenum, replacing the PCV valve, and replacing the oxygen sensors. It now purrs and has more power and pep than it has had in 10 years.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Scotty is a nut and a big-time Toyota fan...

He's talking about historical Odyssey transmissions in relation to a 2008 van. 2nd gen Odyssey transmissions from 1999-2004 were really bad (see carcomplaints.com) -- but the 3rd gen vans are decent, and 07+ is really pretty good.

The engine... the J35 is a real solid engine, except for the VCM issue, which can lead to high oil consumption and other issues. So there you go. Would be interesting to hear Scotty talk about the infamous "sludge monster" Toyota V6 used in the earlier Siennas... it would be about as relevant as saying 3rd gen Odysseys are "crap" because 2nd gen transmissions were horrible...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Honda has definitely gotten better with the Odyssey transmission than it has been but the chart listed could change considerably as the newer models get some years and mileage on them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Scotty is a nut and a big-time Toyota fan...

He's talking about historical Odyssey transmissions in relation to a 2008 van. 2nd gen Odyssey transmissions from 1999-2004 were really bad (see carcomplaints.com) -- but the 3rd gen vans are decent, and 07+ is really pretty good.

The engine... the J35 is a real solid engine, except for the VCM issue, which can lead to high oil consumption and other issues. So there you go. Would be interesting to hear Scotty talk about the infamous "sludge monster" Toyota V6 used in the earlier Siennas... it would be about as relevant as saying 3rd gen Odysseys are "crap" because 2nd gen transmissions were horrible...
Scotty definitely is a little eccentric but is extremely knowledgeable. I consider myself a Toyota and Honda fan and have owned both the Toyota van and the Odyssey. I did have some issues with the older Toyota Previa van I owned once it got over 200,000 miles on it so it wasn't perfect either. But hands down both Honda and Toyota vans are superior to anything else out there in my opinion. My recommendations are to look at the reliability reports on each year model before purchasing. Not just for transmission but also repair histories.
I would personally be concerned about purchasing an older Odyssey with many miles that has not had the VCM disabled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
just a suggestion on the price range $4-5k. Mileage will usually be high and with high mileages comes unreliability. I recently read that a vehicle should last on average 250,000 miles. So, for your 10, 300-mile trips and 3-4,1000-mile trips annually I'd suggest renting something....for those trips since they are round trip. Wear and tear on a rental is better and if you get stuck in another state, they ( company ) will have a replacement. If this is something your not into, then get AAA towing for $103.00 ( 100 miles ) if you get stuck out-of-town you can have it towed to the dealer. Dealer repairs are covered throughout the US and local repairs are ( well ) covered locally, I hate to have to drive back to another state for a follow-up repair.
Best luck with your decision,
Thanks a lot! And agreed on AAA, we think it's the best value in "insurance" especially for folks who drive old vehicles and take road trips 😉.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have a 2006 EX Model Odyssey. It has been a great car for us for the most part. I have been very studious about oil changes but was unaware of the transmission issues on this van until I found this forum. Van now is about 257,000 miles. Burns no oil. We started having some transmission issues show up after I had a local shop do a transmission flush on it at about 100,000 miles. Transmission only got worse over time to the point we were afraid to take it out of town for fear it would give up the ghost on the road and leave us stranded somewhere.

I have since found out from this forum never to do a transmission "flush" on this vehicle. Also as suggested on this forum I have done 3 drain and fills on the transmission and replaced the transmission filter. Exchanged the honda tran fluid with the Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic and also added the Lubegard Transmission additive as per instructions. It has saved my tranny and now we have no fear driving this thing across the country.

Since ours is the EX model we never had issues with the VCM since it did not come so equipped.

Aside from the transmission issue, the power steering pump has always been an ongoing issue. Problems since it was a couple of years old. Noisy, leaking, problematic, etc.. It has been rebuilt by dealer once, had O'rings changed several times, replaced hoses, reservoir tank, etc..

I have as mentioned by Belmont, also have rebuilt the front end (in my driveway) with Coilover Struts, control arms, sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, CV axles, steering outer links. At the same time I also replaced rear shocks.

A couple months ago I also replaced all 4 oxygen sensors and just adjusted the valves, replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the EGR valve, cleaned the intake and throttle body out (when I adjusted the valves), and replaced all of the fuel injectors. Last year I replaced the rollers on the sliding doors, the rear lift supports on the back door and the oil filter housing gasket.

Also within the last 18 months I replaced the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley, belts, plugs, water pump, flushed the power steering pump, and flushed the cooling system at the same time.

I now have a leak on the rear main seal that is splashing oil underneath the car and onto the exhaust system creating alot of smoke and strong burning oil smell. But...car runs great hahaha! With all the work I have put into this thing the last 2 years I am expecting to get another 100,000 miles out of it hopefully. It is by far the most comfortable riding car we have of 4 cars.

As far as the rear main seal goes, I have added some seal conditioner AT-205 yesterday and hope that will help with the leak. Otherwise the price range quotes I have gotten to replace it are all over the place. $650-$1365 from local shops. Pulling the transmission to do this is not something I have the equipment to perform.

Other than the above-mentioned repairs, the usual brake and rotors, battery, starter, etc..
Another repair that I need to do and is my next project is replacing the AC solenoid under the dash. It regulates the air temperature on the split climate control. This is yet another thing I discovered on this forum as the cause of my AC issues.

Just looking at the research, the Toyota's look to have a better reliability history than the Odyssey, though we have been pretty happy with ours. The popular youtube mechanic Scotty Kilmer has a video where he talks about these vans that might be informational to you
and the Consumer Reports reliability history is a phenomenal resource when considering a new or used vehicle. I never purchase anything anymore without referencing Consumer Reports and looking at the Carfax report on the VIN number.

Although we have loved our van, if it was me I would seriously consider the Toyota Sienna as a good one to consider over the Odyssey.

Some of the repairs no doubt could have probably gone without attention but with my OCD I simply can't stand something that is not performing optimally. This forum has been an invaluable resource for me in doing much of the work on the van and knowing what to do and getting great advice. I have increased my fuel mileage 2-3 miles per gallon by adjusting the valves, cleaning the EGR valve, throttle body, intake plenum, replacing the PCV valve, and replacing the oxygen sensors. It now purrs and has more power and pep than it has had in 10 years.
Mikkydee, many thanks for your time and all the very helpful information. After reading yours and others comments I am definitely reconsidering a Toyota more seriously. I have done a significant amount of mechanicing on 70's, 80's, and early 90's domestics with a Chilton and some advice from mechanic friends. That said, these modern machines, with all of their electronics, plastic, and sensors, intimidate me and I am not sure my available spare time and financial resources warrant or support investing in the tools. On my 1976 Cutlass Crusader and 1991 Chevy K1500 I just needed the basics (wrenches, sockets, jack stands, etc) and I can actually sit in the engine compartment while I am doing the work! 😉
Funny thing, yesterday I just found a 2009 Odyssey, single owner, 187,000 miles, for a good price that I really liked. We will see 😬.
Thanks again for participating, take care!

·
Registered
39 Posts
We bought a one owner, well maintained, 90k mile 2005 Touring back in 2010. It’s been a good van but there have been plenty of maintanence items (most of which I’ve done myself). Started with timing belt, water pump, tensioner at the Honda dealer. Depax'd with a set of used '08 wheels and new lugnuts required to mount. AC compressor coil, PS pump, Alternator, Sliding door actuators, oil leaks, struts and axles, inner tie rods, shocks and of course brakes, tires, batteries. Fortunately have had no VCM or Trans issues (Knock Wood, though I do intend to do a muzzler and triple fill soon).

Love this van; drives really nice, tons of comfy room and flexibility and if I need speed it responds quickly ;) Looking back it sounds like I’ve had to do quite a lot, but it looks and performs like new (well, as new as a 15 yo van can I think) and we have no plans yet to divest even though our kids are off to college. It’s at 182k now so a Trans triple-fill, Muzzler and then another timing belt rework and it should get us through another 10 years and 100k miles if we so choose.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts