Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an 08 EX, and am looking for advice. I've read over some older threads and know what I should be looking for. The EX that I am looking at has 35k miles on it, and appears to be in very good condition. It drives excellent. Asking price is 21,485. Is that a reasonable price? How low can I push the dealer to go? Should I spend the extra $$$ for an extended warranty, or take the gamble to go without one. I hear so much about how these things are "bulletproof", but is that reality?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seems like a standard price. I see an 08 EX listed locally with 27,9K for $22,900 asking price.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Check your "local listings" with Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, NADA Guides and a new one ClearBook. These websites will give you an idea of what the prices are in your area for Trade-In, Private Party and Retail (Dealer) sales of similar vehicles.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Odysseys are hardly bulletproof. Whether you should spend the money on a warranty entirely depends on the price/coverage. The ONLY such warranty worth anything is Honda's.

You should be able to BUY an EX-L for the asking price of the subject EX. What the EX should sell for depends on many factors, with mileage, condition, and type of seller being the principal factors. Based on what's been presented, I would seek a target price of no more than 20K.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got a Honda Certified 2009 EX with 25K miles for $21,500 and I chose to get the extended HondaCare because I worry about issue with the power doors.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My standard answer re. extended warranties: The companies selling them make money, so statistically you will pay more for the warranty than you would pay for repairs covered under the warranty. If the car is average (not even flawless, just average...), a warranty is a bad deal. If it is a lemon, it's a good deal. Would be nice to know which it is before buying, wouldn't it? :)

Knowing this, it comes down to how you deal with risk (having to pay a big repair) and whether you can afford whatever the biggest thing is that could go wrong (could you spend 3K$ on an engine/transmission repair).

For reference, we got a warranty with our previous car, a 2000 Subaru, as we did not have much money to spare then. It turned out to be a good deal, with the car requiring a new alternator and new head gaskets, amongst other things. We did not get one for our Odyssey, just an extra year through the Honda certified program, as we can afford a big repair now.

One other thing I learned with that warranty forces you to be VERY strict with maintenance and maintenance records and is not good for fiddlers. If you are not the kind of person who keeps his maintenance records on file for years, or if you like to do things your way, you may end up with a void warranty when it counts. The warranty company will look for any reason to not have to pay for your repairs, so you have to have every angle covered.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas

·
Registered
380 Posts
Bought an 07 EX with 40K miles for 17 200 in the Twin Cities in January of this year.

YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts